• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So my new Monster Transmission had a leak and wasn't going into park very good. I had to hold up on shifter while Fred Flintstoning it to engage. I dropped it off at DDW Transmission to get the B&M converter lockup controller installed.

The mechanic said the Governor cover had a pin hole in it and the housing for the speedo gear was junk after market that was allowing the seal to spin and leak. They had to replace the housing with a GM housing and replace the gear and seal with only 300 miles on it.

Im not too happy with Monster Transmission right now.

The retainer cups on the rear springs had to be replaced due to loosing one on my trip to see Rusty. They were old and Rusty.

I ordered and received a new set of Moog stock springs for the front of the truck to try and get the front up a little so the exhaust with have more ground clearance.

Got the speedo hooked up and it's making a clicking sound with the needle jumping 10 mph back and forth.

Still a lot of bugs to get worked out but linkage is adjusted so I do at least have a positive park now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So my new Monster Transmission had a leak and wasn't going into park very good. I had to hold up on shifter while Fred Flintstoning it to engage. I dropped it off at DDW Transmission to get the B&M converter lockup controller installed.

The mechanic said the Governor cover had a pin hole in it and the housing for the speedo gear was junk after market that was allowing the seal to leak. They had to replace the housing with a GM housing and replace the gear and seal with only 300 miles on it.

The retainer cups on the rear springs had to be replaced due to loosing one on my trip to see Rusty. They were old and Rusty.

I ordered and received a new set of Moog stock springs for the front of the truck to try and get the front up a little so the exhaust with have more ground clearance.

Got the speedo hooked up and it's making a clicking sound with the needle jumping 10 mph back and forth.

Still a lot of bugs to get worked out.

It is so worth it. That is a sweet truck.

As we discussed at lunch....I build my own trans. I know quality people and have access to good solid cores. If there is an issue they take care of it. Never had an issue that they caused.
    One of the 700R4's we had built for my sons 86 Z-28 would push the front seal out when he stepped on it. After 2 seal issues we went down to the shop and put the car up on the lift. The high pressure side hose to the external cooler had become pinched in the core support. This caused an over pressure behind the front seal.
    They pulled the trans and pinned the seal. I repaired the pinched line.

I bought lunch. Bingo.
    Sadly these guys have retired.
    But I am onto some new people.....:):

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm kinda excited about the Gas Monkey vs. Street Outlaws race on the 27th. I'm actually more intrested in the Aaron vs Farm Truck builds and race. Should be interesting.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

The mechanic said the Governor cover had a pin hole in it and the housing for the speedo gear was junk after market that was allowing the seal to spin and leak. They had to replace the housing with a GM housing and replace the gear and seal with only 300 miles on it.

Still a lot of bugs to get worked out but linkage is adjusted so I do at least have a positive park now.
    Did you grease the cable?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Did you grease the cable?

I didn't hook it up the mechanic did it. I will have to ask him but I'm betting it's the speedo. It's been unhooked for a long time.

Im going to unhook it and drive it to see if the cable is smooth or jumps.

Im still planning on changing it out to Dakota Digital or Auto Meter gauges but trying to get by long enough to take it to Spring Rod Run Apr 6-8 in Pigeon Forge.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah I've still got the bug for an old driver but I ain't got no dough.
    I could sell a couple vehicles and probably get myself in a decent western k5. I want the perfect all around rig. Simple, easy to fix, parts are cheap and everywhere, bucket seats for comfort on trips, rear seat so not limited to 2 people, 4x4 for all year round and camping fun, can still haul a trailer for when a bed is needed and the top comes off! Must have an overdrive trans and I'm thinking fuel injection. That means late 80s-early 90s. Only thing is I like the round head light trucks more and the two tone paint. Not to say I couldn't buy a newer one and give it a facelift to look like an old one. But on the first couple years the whole top came off vs just the rear section of the newer ones. Someday...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dang Rusty your making me wish I had the rig back that I had in high school. Had a 79 F250 crew cab 4x4 with 4.11 gears front & rear, 400ci backed with a C6 trans, plate under the bed to haul a gooseneck trailer sat up on 33x12.5 Goodyears, bench seats (front had been moded to lay back to make a small bed)....got wiped out by tri axle dump truck. Retard was in left turn lane but made a right hand turn into the LF of my truck. That beast saved my life if I had been in a car the saddle tank woulda came to rest on top of me. Lots good times in that truck ;)

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    [video=youtube;qEuV82GqQnE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEuV82GqQnE[/video] Time to take over Rusty, we have to baby the other guy!:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :rockwoot: Are you guys kidding me? The Stone's freakin ROCK! Those guys are like pushing their 70's and they still kill it

Well.....I like a few of their tunes but I grew up in that era. All the people I knew that were into the stones tended to be a bit on the downer (pills) side and wrecked their cars about every weekend. Hard crowd to hang with.....:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just got off the phone with fabricators. Looking to do the rear clip on my Impala. Narrow the rear rails and widen the tubs. 4 link. Narrow the 9 inch I have. I can narrow the housing. Done more than a few. Axles are available. I want the rear rims to have major deep dish. At least a 12" rim with 8" of off set or close.

I have a vision.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom