• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Just got off the phone with fabricators. Looking to do the rear clip on my Impala. Narrow the rear rails and widen the tubs. 4 link. Narrow the 9 inch I have. I can narrow the housing. Done more than a few. Axles are available. I want the rear rims to have major deep dish. At least a 12" rim with 8" of off set or close.

I have a vision.
    :faint:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just got off the phone with fabricators. Looking to do the rear clip on my Impala. Narrow the rear rails and widen the tubs. 4 link. Narrow the 9 inch I have. I can narrow the housing. Done more than a few. Axles are available. I want the rear rims to have major deep dish. At least a 12" rim with 8" of off set or close.

I have a vision.

Care to share the vision? What kind of wheels are you looking at? I'm going to put Weld RT's on my mini tubbed Mustang. 12" wide with 6.5 offset

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well that was fun! Decided I needed to get the lemans out for a nice country road drive. Happened to look over and notice I was driving right next to a fast moving train. He had to be doing 70+, I just had to do it! Raced him to a cross and just barely made it as the arms were coming down! I may have fractured a few laws...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well that was fun! Decided I needed to get the lemans out for a nice country road drive. Happened to look over and notice I was driving right next to a fast moving train. He had to be doing 70+, I just had to do it! Raced him to a cross and just barely made it as the arms were coming down! I may have fractured a few laws...

I'm all for going fast, I dig it but be careful man. Nobody wants to hear about Rusty getting scooped up off a street or washed off into a ditch. About 8yrs ago I HAD a friend that raced a train and lost. He was paralized and had complications a few months later lost a leg then two weeks later had to take his other leg and didn't survive. There's just too much risk to be doing that stuff on the streets these days Rusty. Take it to a track :soapbox:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm all for going fast, I dig it but be careful man. Nobody wants to hear about Rusty getting scooped up off a street or washed off into a ditch. About 8yrs ago I HAD a friend that raced a train and lost. He was paralized and had complications a few months later lost a leg then two weeks later had to take his other leg and didn't survive. There's just too much risk to be doing that stuff on the streets these days Rusty. Take it to a track :soapbox:
    Yes sir. I have no excuses except young and dumb... Sorry to hear about your friend.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    When I tell people we de-bur/chase every threaded hole/wire wheel every bolt they get this add slightly cross eyed deer in the head lights look.
    If you want the right torque the threads have to be clean. And lubed.

Positive on the block. This is the 400 yes...??

i was shown this when i was a kid with everything you take apart.......grandpa was a farmer and you didn't want you stuff falling apart when you need it the most....thought everyone did it....:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Care to share the vision? What kind of wheels are you looking at? I'm going to put Weld RT's on my mini tubbed Mustang. 12" wide with 6.5 offset

Not made a solid wheel choice as yet. So much out there. It will be at least 12"s wide and no more than 16"s tall in the rear.
    Fronts most likely 7"s X 16" front.
    Good solid all wheel disks.
    The absolute proper slight nose down stance.
    425 hp plus on motor with OD trans and at least a 3.73 out back maybe a 3.91.

Rear clip narrowed with 4 bar and coil overs. I have the shocks new in the box. Will need higher rate springs.

Nothing insane. But the N2o plate system will bring on a Smile.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hahaa, no.....why do that? I know of tons of people that will cross thread crap in or use the wrong bolts and hope for the best! :)

I once had the "opportunity" to work on a Triumph TR7 that the man tried to work on by himself. All the manifold bolts that he stripped in the aluminum head were replaced with LAG BOLTS. Too bad he stripped 1/2 of them also.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I once had the "opportunity" to work on a Triumph TR7 that the man tried to work on by himself. All the manifold bolts that he stripped in the aluminum head were replaced with LAG BOLTS. Too bad he stripped 1/2 of them also.

That had to be an extensive repair.

Could you save the head..??

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hahaa, no.....why do that? I know of tons of people that will cross thread crap in or use the wrong bolts and hope for the best! :)

LMAO. Crossed threads are better than no threads. Ok so yeah I clean up threads but honestly it just depends on what I am working on. I have taken apart more than my share of stuff someone else FUBAR. I bought a used race engine once that I needed to put a different intake on. When I pulled it apart I found all but 1 bolt hole in the heads were cross threaded. A steady hand with a drill and a pack of heli coils and I was back in business...but I had serious concerns about the rest of that engine. Thankfully that was the only problem found

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That had to be an extensive repair.

Could you save the head..??

Very expensive. That engine also has 1/2 of the head studs canted, so they all have to be removed to get the head off, most were seized. A week of soaking them with Kroil would not free a few of them. Pulled engine, made a girdle to fit all the cam bolts, pulled on the head with a come along, to get the pressure off the head gasket, allowing a hack saw blade to cut a couple of the canted head studs. Stripped block and head taken to machine shop for re drilling and helicoils in the head. Damage from sawing the studs mandated a deck cut on the head also, even though I tried to protect it with shim stock. (The machine shop guy told me he would never do the canted head studs again, it was too hard to set up) The whole reason the job started was a water pump that internal to the block and accessed by removing the intake manifold.(Strange design, the water pump is driven like a distributor, not off the fan belt.) He didn't want to pay the dealer $200 to fix the water pump.

I saw similar things when ham fisted bubba types would try their hand at Corvairs and air cooled VW engines. It is funny, I put 250,000 miles combined on 3 Kawasaki Ninja engines, and never once even buggered a thread on a drain plug or cam cover bolt while setting cam follower clearance. If you pay attention, aluminum holds up just fine.

I usually suggest people try mechanical repairs and learn all they can, but there are some people who should not be allowed to handle any tools.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom