• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep once again it's confirmed...I made the right decision by choosing to work on cars/ light duty trucks and stay the heck away from working on heavy equipment. Cool as it is it's just not in my wheel house

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Right on Glueman. Brakes are like rehab...it's for quitters. Jkjk lmfao

We had an 1/8 mile dragstrip in Lynn, AL.
    If you didn't get stopped you would eventually go off a bluff
    A buddy of mine lost his brakes on his 66 Big Block Chevelle. He had to use the transbrake to shut it down.

He said his butt cheeks were clinched so tight you couldn't have driven a greased needle up his butt with a 10 pound sledgehammer.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Yep once again it's confirmed...I made the right decision by choosing to work on cars/ light duty trucks and stay the heck away from working on heavy equipment. Cool as it is it's just not in my wheel house

I don't work on them. I just drive em. Something about having control of 130,000 lbs at 65 mph. All the hp and torque it takes......... (insert a Tim the Toolman grunt here.)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We had an 1/8 mile dragstrip in Lynn, AL.
    If you didn't get stopped you would eventually go off a bluff
    A buddy of mine lost his brakes on his 66 Big Block Chevelle. He had to use the transbrake to shut it down.

He said his butt cheeks were clinched so tight you couldn't have driven a greased needle up his butt with a 10 pound sledgehammer.

Yeah that would be scary. We ran at Terre Haute once and watched two cars on the binders so hard the front tires blew out. So when it was our turn got down close to the finish line and threw the chute early and got on the brakes hard to get slowed down enough to turn off. Then on the next run the chute cable stuck in the pack loop and didn't deploy, stood on the brakes car started bouncing off the ground so had to pump really fast and was lucky to get the wheels cut to make the turn off. Sounded like a jet landing everytime the tires hit the ground. That had some serious pucker factor too. At the end of the track was a catch net with a small dirt section & part of the concrete wall around the dirt track. We never went back just too fast to get stopped in that short of distance.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Called about the 1970 Nova.... It's a '73 model. 2 door, 350, auto. Supposed to be in decent shape, was the lady's first car in '82. Been garaged since then. Not excited about it being a '73.... They want about what I think it's prolly worth as a driver for a car that currently doesn't run.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah that would be scary. We ran at Terre Haute once and watched two cars on the binders so hard the front tires blew out. So when it was our turn got down close to the finish line and threw the chute early and got on the brakes hard to get slowed down enough to turn off. Then on the next run the chute cable stuck in the pack loop and didn't deploy, stood on the brakes car started bouncing off the ground so had to pump really fast and was lucky to get the wheels cut to make the turn off. Sounded like a jet landing everytime the tires hit the ground. That had some serious pucker factor too. At the end of the track was a catch net with a small dirt section & part of the concrete wall around the dirt track. We never went back just too fast to get stopped in that short of distance.

Terre Haute was one of our favorite tracks. Not for the reasons you state but we loved going over on Friday to test/tune. Slept in my buddys RV and raced our butts off all Day Sat. A 9 second car can get stopped well enough. We had some good runs over there.
    Roll back Sat. night and off to Raceway park on Sunday morning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Called about the 1970 Nova.... It's a '73 model. 2 door, 350, auto. Supposed to be in decent shape, was the lady's first car in '82. Been garaged since then. Not excited about it being a '73.... They want about what I think it's prolly worth as a driver for a car that currently doesn't run.

People think old = value.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Terre Haute was one of our favorite tracks. Not for the reasons you state but we loved going over on Friday to test/tune. Slept in my buddys RV and raced our butts off all Day Sat. A 9 second car can get stopped well enough. We had some good runs over there.
    Roll back Sat. night and off to Raceway park on Sunday morning.
    The one time we ran there was back in 2008 and we were running high 4.80s- low 4.90s (1/8 mile). Not a bad little track reallarexcept the shut down area

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The one time we ran there was back in 2008 and we were running high 4.80s- low 4.90s (1/8 mile). Not a bad little track reallarexcept the shut down area

Those are some fast times for an 1/8 mile. My Chevy II would run 6.70 on straight motor. It was a fun car to drive.

I was still running the stock front end. I turned the drums and left them a little rough and used pads designed for racing. I don't remember the brand though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Both cars had 4 wheel disk. The Camaro was all Wilwood drag pieces. Thin rotors and 4 piston calipers front/rear. It would haul down pretty quick. 6.0's and better at terrible haute. We were NHRA legal to 6.40/9.90 and Haute was a bit looser on the rules. You pay you run. I could turn it up over there.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Both cars had 4 wheel disk. The Camaro was all Wilwood drag pieces. Thin rotors and 4 piston calipers front/rear. It would haul down pretty quick. 6.0's and better at terrible haute. We were NHRA legal to 6.40/9.90 and Haute was a bit looser on the rules. You pay you run. I could turn it up over there.

We run Aerospace 4 piston brakes on the rear with 5/16 thick rotors and Strange 4 pistons on the front. They slow the car down pretty darn quick but because of the rules, we have to weigh 3150lbs and at those speeds that is a lot of energy to stop. The bird is NHRA legal to 4.50/7.50. It's geared for the 1/8th but coasted through the traps at IRP once for a 7.42 @ 189.? MPH had to get off the throttle early, it was tickling the rev limiter. She hauls the mail on the back half. But, we gotta do better in the first 60ft. 1.17- 1.19 has pretty much been the norm for us but others in our class are down in the 1.09- 1.14 range.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Those are some fast times for an 1/8 mile. My Chevy II would run 6.70 on straight motor. It was a fun car to drive.

I was still running the stock front end. I turned the drums and left them a little rough and used pads designed for racing. I don't remember the brand though.

In my spare time I am building a car that will certify to 8.50 just to have something to play with. The outlaw series stuff is fun but costly and the series only runs once per month.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom