• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I do not remember a switch in either of the cars we ran the Hot-Rodded 700's in. I do know when you put the brakes on the converter would unlock. We eliminated the ECU completely. MSD with 6AL and a Holley. No computer.

I did some research and found out that Monster Transmission sends a kit with their Tranmission conversion package. It allows you to leave the converter unlocked if doing a lot of in town driving. There is a pressure switch that attaches to the fourth gear fluid passage. If the switch is on then the converter will lock in when shifting into fourth gear. Flip the switch off and no lock up will occur.

Im a little less than impressed with Monster Transmission's follow up to take an order for a $2,000 transmission package.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    i have a set of 327 375hp 64cc vet heads....they need rebuilt.....what are the worth?

I have a set built with 2.02 and 1.6 SS valves.
    New guides and seals
    the studs have been drilled and pinned
    They have a two angle cut.

The old cast heads dont bring much anymore unless someone needs them for a restoration project. New aluminum heads are so cheap and perform better than the old double hump heads.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I did some research and found out that Monster Transmission sends a kit with their Tranmission conversion package. It allows you to leave the converter unlocked if doing a lot of in town driving. There is a pressure switch that attaches to the fourth gear fluid passage. If the switch is on then the converter will lock in when shifting into fourth gear. Flip the switch off and no lock up will occur.

Im a little less than impressed with Monster Transmission's follow up to take an order for a $2,000 transmission package.

on-off-switch.jpg

You move the lever thingy up or down depending on what you want it to do.

Geez. I thought your were smarter than that.
    :whistle:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It is all in the heads.

I was really surprised how much difference this made on old engines running pump gas. The Edelbrock package I put on the Charger allowed higher ratio pistons without having to mess with fuel additives, that combined with the MSD made a big difference.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I do get around to building this Pontiac, it will not be like the average Pontiac. It should live to 7k and still be making power at that point. Far cry from the standard drop off at 5500 or so... That is one of the reasons we have decided against a stroker, I like to spin them up. Technology has come so far.

Had an engine builder many years ago give me this advice...open the valves as far and as long as you can besides that build it light and wind it tight

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I did get to watch the season finale of Street Outlaws. Looks like Big Chief is dropping the Crowmod for the street scene. Going back to a steel car. This should be interesting.

Yep. One big factor not mentioned on the show relates to cash days. Limpy ( dude that organizes cash days) said he will nonlonger welcome pro mods or all composite bodied cars unless it's factory such as corvette. Must hae steel quarters and roof. Seen discussion on a drag racing forum they won't have any pro mods on their list next season. Was told by Dominator they are currently 3 filming season 9

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. One big factor not mentioned on the show relates to cash days. Limpy ( dude that organizes cash days) said he will nonlonger welcome pro mods or all composite bodied cars unless it's factory such as corvette. Must hae steel quarters and roof. Seen discussion on a drag racing forum they won't have any pro mods on their list next season. Was told by Dominator they are currently 3 filming season 9

ProMods have no place in the street scene. I love ProMods. They are insane to watch. But steel is real.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    ProMods have no place in the street scene. I love ProMods. They are insane to watch. But steel is real.

I remember a couple years ago, Larry Larson was ticked off about Hot Rod letting basically Pro Mod cars into the unlimited class of the Hot Rod drag week. His Chevy II still had a bunch of steel on it and then guys like the Sick Seconds Camaro started running with like all glass bodies and stupid stuff. He was pretty peeved.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remember a couple years ago, Larry Larson was ticked off about Hot Rod letting basically Pro Mod cars into the unlimited class of the Hot Rod drag week. His Chevy II still had a bunch of steel on it and then guys like the Sick Seconds Camaro started running with like all glass bodies and stupid stuff. He was pretty peeved.

I do not blame him. Not at all.
    As with anything like this money.....follow the money. Easier to buy the title. Lite cars with big power.
    Finding the power to push a steel (mostly) car that fast is hard.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    ProMods have no place in the street scene. I love Pro Mods. They are insane to watch. But steel is real.

Lol. I agree...heck even our pro street car has factory steel quarters, roof and vin tag

The same could be said with power adders, back-halved cars, etc. etc.

Although I do enjoy watching them also, whatever happened to the days of ingenuity?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The same could be said with power adders, back-halved cars, etc. etc.

Although I do enjoy watching them also, whatever happened to the days of ingenuity?

You can only go so fast on ingenuity.
    Back half cars were a mile stone in the day. I remember when they were done in the garage. A good band saw, string, 4' level, a plumb bob and a mig welder.......
    Narrowed 9" fords were again....ingenious.
    High stall converters used to be made at the local trans shop. Ingenious actually.
    Power adders are OK in my mind. They require a high level of knowledge/skills to make them run and not eat the engine. A simple 150 HP plate system will end an engine. Ask me how I know.....go ahead....:):

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    You can only go so fast on ingenuity.
    Back half cars were a mile stone in the day. I remember when they were done in the garage. A good band saw, string, 4' level, a plumb bob and a mig welder.......
    Narrowed 9" fords were again....ingenious.
    High stall converters used to be made at the local trans shop. Ingenious actually.
    Power adders are OK in my mind. They require a high level of knowledge/skills to make them run and not eat the engine. A simple 150 HP plate system will end an engine. Ask me how I know.....go ahead....:):

Any of this done on your Biscayne or Chevelle?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any of this done on your Biscayne or Chevelle?

The Camaro was a back half car.
    The Biscayne had a full Hotchkis suspension in the back with a heavily modified rear frame but the rails were basically factory. It had a storming High Stall converter in it. Reverse valved T-400 with all the bracket electronics. It also had power adder plate system. It saw the street a lot.
    The Chevelle had close to the same suspension mods but more towards road course. It was driven to work by the spouse several times.
    Both were very fast by street standards but mid 11's was the best either would go. The Chevelle was a low 12 car due to traction limitations and it was a 3 peddle car.

I see what you are pointing to. Thing is, to go faster some of the things on that list have to be done.
    I have driven a back half full cage 4 bar car on the street a lot. It was a 69 Camaro I built in the early 80s. Tunnel rammed 366 small block. Really not a big deal.
    When I was very young and did not know any better I had one of Norm Paddocks 40 Willy's gassers that was a daily driver.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom