Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just like life is too short to have a poor trigger, life is too short to have a boring ride. :)

I don't mind the safety equipment on the new stuff, I'd much rather be driving a new car than anything old for safety purposes in an accident.

Agree with the safety but that really stack's on the price tag.
    My 04's have the bags. They are also trucks.....:)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Agree with the safety but that really stack's on the price tag.
    My 04's have the bags. They are also trucks.....:)
    Yes the prices have gotten stupid. Too much electronics and gadgets. Give me a steering wheel, comfy seat, three pedals, harness, tach, four wheels, brakes and an engine. I'll be fine. $30k barely gets you a 1/2 ton 2wd reg cab long bed with a v6 and no options...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes the prices have gotten stupid. Too much electronics and gadgets. Give me a steering wheel, comfy seat, three pedals, harness, tach, four wheels, brakes and an engine. I'll be fine. $30k barely gets you a 1/2 ton 2wd reg cab long bed with a v6 and no options...

Thing is the population has become comfy and lazy. They need all that garbage.
    I admit that comfy is a good thing. Paying for it sucks.

In this we do have small displacement engines making good reliable power. 6 speed auto's with push button tow calibrations. On the fly 4WD and auto all wheel selections. Anti locks and traction controls. Side air bags and mega safety constructed into the vehicles.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Comfort is needed. Once you've spent 11 hours in a worn out bench seat, you want comfort bad...

I think back to the day when I was rolling a 64 Ford econoline. It was decked out inside. N series tires in the back. Hi-PO 289 in the engine box between the seats. 4 speed on the column. Yes, on the column. I put a lever down by the seat for reverse. It worked really well. Lots and lots of Mods to make all that work.
    Anyway...it was a bear to drive long distances but we managed it.
    My brother bought the thing from me and rolled it 2 weeks later. He was an idiot.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So CM you stated you acquired a HEMI engine from a wrecked car?
    Then you stated the you were not sure of its point of origin?
    I am going to assume you received stolen property!
    That was my engine I will take cash or money order in the amount of the engines current value!

I am from Perry County the crime rate is very low.
    In about 1986 a friend of mine bought a 1966 426 HEMI out of a crashed Coronet that had been setting in a field since the early 70,s.
    The price was $500.00 he stored it in a barn that was about a mile down the road from his house.
    Word had got around about the engine and one night someone stole the HEMI never to be seen again.
    I went back a few years ago to the field that contained the HEMI Coronet along with random junk cars and farm equipment.
    It had been sold to a scrapper.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That was my engine I will take cash or money order in the amount of the engines current value!

In about 1986 a friend of mine bought a 1966 426 HEMI out of a crashed Coronet that had been setting in a field since the early 70,s.
    The price was $500.00 he stored it in a barn that was about a mile down the road from his house.
    Word had got around about the engine and one night someone stole the HEMI never to be seen again.
    I went back a few years ago to the field that contained the HEMI Coronet along with random junk cars and farm equipment.

If CM is going to jail, I call dibs on his 1911's

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The engine I bought was in 1970-ish. We were all gathered at a place we raced and a guy asked if I was interested in a 426 Hemi. Well of course I was. We went and looked at it. It was all there. It was not removed with a smoke wrench. The guy wanted $750 for it which was serious money then. I started scrambling to get the cash together as I had (if memory serves) $450 on me. That was my racing/mad money. I heard it got sold so I just let it go. About 2 weeks later I saw the same guy and he asked if I still wanted it. Well of course I did but not for $750. I showed him $500 cash and picked it up that night. Damn those things are heavy.
    Well if I had given it any real thought I would have passed as I learned about all the Mods to get that front sump elephant in that chassis. Wow.

K-frame mods were extensive and thank the engineers the piece was an easy drop out from the car. I had some good parts connections so while we were re-engineering the K-frame I pulled the engine down and did the deal. My best friend had a 68 Nova with an LS-6 in it that was loved on and no matter how hard I tried I could and would never catch him. He would put car lengths on my +.030 383.
    I sold a lot of cars and stuff but by spring it was done. I was sure his reign as the king was ending. Was not to be. I had closed the gap significantly to within a fender on a good pass. Never beat him but got close. We even drove each others cars at the track and same results. Both cars would roll high 11's with the tire/traction tech of the day.

It came through the grapevine that the guys I bought the Hemi from were into some nefarious things. I had traded the car by the time I found out and nothing ever came of it.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well considering that I was 1 year old in 1970 my memory of that time is quite fuzzy.

Did you see hippies on a regular basis?

How crazy was the street racing in that era?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom