churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM,

Why did you get out of drag racing or at least stay in the motor sport field? I know you can build engines and a top notch race car.

That is a really good question. I have been in and around racing of some sort all of my life. Seems like all of my Uncles were serious car guys. I was part of it from my 1st memory's.

Most all of my friends are involved in racing at a professional level and I was lucky enough to get involved through them. Dedicated weekend warrior on some really serious teams in a great period for racing. I could have went full time involvement but I really liked having a normal (:dunno:) life to escape to and be with my family. Involvement at those levels tends to make family 2nd....racing 1st. I liked my family.

Running my 2 car team was a lifes dream for me. My son drove the fast car (Camaro) and I drove the slower street/race car. Good times. Damned expensive times.
    Wifes job went south on late 06. She never really rebounded as the market (Housing) crashed. I kept us racing for about 2 more years and life just changed. It was time financially and age wise to let it go. I did.

I have projects I am doing for others and a really neat project for myself going so I am still in the mix. Turning 67 this coming March. That has a bit to do with it as well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is a really good question. I have been in and around racing of some sort all of my life. Seems like all of my Uncles were serious car guys. I was part of it from my 1st memory's.

Most all of my friends are involved in racing at a professional level and I was lucky enough to get involved through them. Dedicated weekend warrior on some really serious teams in a great period for racing. I could have went full time involvement but I really liked having a normal (:dunno:) life to escape to and be with my family. Involvement at those levels tends to make family 2nd....racing 1st. I liked my family.

Running my 2 car team was a lifes dream for me. My son drove the fast car (Camaro) and I drove the slower street/race car. Good times. Damned expensive times.
    Wifes job went south on late 06. She never really rebounded as the market (Housing) crashed. I kept us racing for about 2 more years and life just changed. It was time financially and age wise to let it go. I did.

I have projects I am doing for others and a really neat project for myself going so I am still in the mix. Turning 67 this coming March. That has a bit to do with it as well.

Mouse - wise decision. You have a few years one as I am only 38. But likewise I have been around racing in one form or another as far back ad I remember. Back when I was in preschool I spent every chance I got in the garage playing in dads racecar and watching him & my uncle work. I remember the first time I was out there when they fired the engine....I remember grinning and my eyes were wide open all I could say about it was racecar daddy racecar! And I was hooked. Then when I was 20 I got hired to work on latemodels and modifieds for a wealthy man but it didn't last too long. But after I got married I knew I had to find the balance and not let racing be #1. Had to put family first

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Don't tell any of my poncho friends, but the best sound to my ears coming out of a set of tailpipes, comes from an Olds. :drool:

[video=youtube;ZzeES3q6jmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzeES3q6jmc&feature=share[/video]

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Wow this is really cool! These bodies are not appriciated. I think they have some sexy lines and if you get rid of those God awful bumpers they look much better.

[video=youtube;FoJIuH_Zpac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJIuH_Zpac&feature=share[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mouse - wise decision. You have a few years one as I am only 38. But likewise I have been around racing in one form or another as far back ad I remember. Back when I was in preschool I spent every chance I got in the garage playing in dads racecar and watching him & my uncle work. I remember the first time I was out there when they fired the engine....I remember grinning and my eyes were wide open all I could say about it was racecar daddy racecar! And I was hooked. Then when I was 20 I got hired to work on latemodels and modifieds for a wealthy man but it didn't last too long. But after I got married I knew I had to find the balance and not let racing be #1. Had to put family first

The 1st time I put a car on the starting grid (1981...Tom Sneva) I was never ever the same again. It was so tempting to go on the road with that team (George Bignotti Texaco team) and never look back. I had not yet met my darling wife at that time. I was pretty much a free man at the time. 3 kids by 1st "X" that were living in Florida. No real ties. It was a tough decision. I met the wife later that year. Glad I stuck around.
    Went on to do 14 starting grid appearances at the Speedway. Worked with the Hendricks Motor Sports GTP Corvette team for 3 years in the same capacity. I was there when they ran both cars. All aspects of prep on the cars and over the wall in the hot pits.
    There has been a lot more with Midgets and sprint cars.

I am and always will be a dead ender. Drag racing is it for me even with the professional experiences.
    So many memory's.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Whoever built this truck installed a rack and pinion. They didn't however understand suspension geometry... Whole truck looks like a mess, nothing a bunch of money can't fix though.

Sad part, the man who's name is on the sign out front made the call to bring this one in without consulting anyone who actually works in the shop... Don't have room or time for it and neither of us want to work on it... Have other customers that are waiting to get in and this just shows up.... :ugh:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Check out how this rack is being held on the truck....

Look at that angle! Will note there is nothing holding the steering shaft to that coupler and the splines are screwed.

Checkout the angle of those coil overs!

I'm no expert when it comes to steering and suspension, but that's f'ed up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom