• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Real nice Camaro Church Mouse. I like the Biscayne too, just partial to Camaros.

In the mid to late 70's my dad got back into drag racing but just locally. The neighbor had a '67 Camaro that they put a cage in, stripped out all the interior, and would hit up Bean Blossum and Speed's/New Hope. I can't tell you much about the car and the only ones who could are gone but this is my dad at Speed's in 77 or 78 and the only good picture of the car. I remember dad saying there was no way he was going to let the guy he was running beat him. I missed out on a lot of the races because it took a long time for me and my brother to wear my mom out on making us go to church instead of the races.

tinkertoy.jpg

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Real nice Camaro Church Mouse. I like the Biscayne too, just partial to Camaros.

In the mid to late 70's my dad got back into drag racing but just locally. The neighbor had a '67 Camaro that they put a cage in, stripped out all the interior, and would hit up Bean Blossum and Speed's/New Hope. I can't tell you much about the car and the only ones who could are gone but this is my dad at Speed's in 77 or 78 and the only good picture of the car. I remember dad saying there was no way he was going to let the guy he was running beat him. I missed out on a lot of the races because it took a long time for me and my brother to wear my mom out on making us go to church instead of the races.

tinkertoy.jpg

That's a serious launch when you can crinkle the tires.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

tinkertoy.jpg
    I always love seeing those old drag pics. Couple years back we restored a '68 Camaro. Car was originally a bare bones no options, except the 375HP 396 with 4 speed. All that was long gone as the car was purchased new, driven 18 miles and torn down for racing. Still showed 00018 on the ODO. The subframe, core support and inner fenders had been acid dipped to lighten them up. All front end hardware was aluminum. It still holds some records at the old Avilla dragway, sadly the track is long gone...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

tinkertoy.jpg

Believe it or not I raced against that car on a few occasions. We would come over to run Raceway and Speeds and Bean blossom when I lived in Connersville in the mid-70's. I had a 1970 Nova named "Color Me Gone"......Wheel stander from hell. Stick car and it rode the rears all the way through 1st.

I reckognized the car as soon as I saw the pic. Memory's....:)

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Believe it or not I raced against that car on a few occasions. We would come over to run Raceway and Speeds and Bean blossom when I lived in Connersville in the mid-70's. I had a 1970 Nova named "Color Me Gone"......Wheel stander from hell. Stick car and it rode the rears all the way through 1st.

I reckognized the car as soon as I saw the pic. Memory's....:)

That's pretty awesome! I am pretty sure that is the only time he pulled the front wheels on that car and was lucky enough that a photographer caught it. I bet you met my dad then because he would always go talk to the guys who had good cars just to be friendly. One of his favorite stories was about a couple of guys who would bring a black Pinto down to race. He said it hooked up awesome and just screamed down the strip. He went over and asked the guys why they didn't have it lettered up and they laughed as they told him it was because they street raced it whenever they didn't have it at a drag strip.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's pretty awesome! I am pretty sure that is the only time he pulled the front wheels on that car and was lucky enough that a photographer caught it. I bet you met my dad then because he would always go talk to the guys who had good cars just to be friendly. One of his favorite stories was about a couple of guys who would bring a black Pinto down to race. He said it hooked up awesome and just screamed down the strip. He went over and asked the guys why they didn't have it lettered up and they laughed as they told him it was because they street raced it whenever they didn't have it at a drag strip.

I am sure I did meet him but man that has been a long time ago. My "X" took all my pics so I have nothing but metal images from those days...........:(

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Good eyes! Yes it is and thank you.

67 is also the only year for a small back window. I learned a lot about those trucks when we did my 72. Hardly any difference between the 71-72, but a trained eye can tell. The black paint in the grille is different and the 72 was the only year for that body style that had the rear view mirror glued to the windshield.

I found a slightly better shot of Baby Blue. I believe that '67 was the last year for the small back window, but not the only one. I had very specific parameters when I was watching ads for this truck, and I was told many times by the hubby that this was the last year for that window and he wanted the small back window. This was a step side when we bought it, but I found the new shortbed/fleetside bed on Ebay so it got switched to what he wanted. The stepside bed was rotted pretty badly, but some guy from Ohio came and bought it anyway.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I found a slightly better shot of Baby Blue. I believe that '67 was the last year for the small back window, but not the only one. I had very specific parameters when I was watching ads for this truck, and I was told many times by the hubby that this was the last year for that window and he wanted the small back window. This was a step side when we bought it, but I found the new shortbed/fleetside bed on Ebay so it got switched to what he wanted. The stepside bed was rotted pretty badly, but some guy from Ohio came and bought it anyway.

That is one nice truck!!!! I have always liked fleetsides better myself.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That is one nice truck!!!! I have always liked fleetsides better myself.

Thanks. I really wish I had taken pictures of it when it came here so you could see what he started with. He drove it home and immediately started tearing it apart.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

Looks nice mom! Yes 67 was the last year for the small back window, the only year for that bodystyle 67-72 to have a small window. The prior years also had a small window. I also prefer a fleet side truck, only sometimes do I like a step side.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Looks nice mom! Yes 67 was the last year for the small back window, the only year for that bodystyle 67-72 to have a small window. The prior years also had a small window. I also prefer a fleet side truck, only sometimes do I like a step side.

Ahh...gotcha. I guess I knew that about the prior years being a different body style.

Hubby wanted the '67 for the window but not earlier because he liked the 67-72 body style better.

We had a '72 when I was a kid that my parents bought new. My sister wrecked it twice. Dad bought the 78 to replace that one and got the camper special with the super heavy duty springs for hauling hay and pulling the stock trailer full of horses when we would go for trail rides.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Thanks. I really wish I had taken pictures of it when it came here so you could see what he started with. He drove it home and immediately started tearing it apart.

I can imagine. I think I mentioned it already but my dad bought 5 trucks to make one good one for my brother when he started driving. Actually he only needed 4 but the 5th was a camper special with a 402 Big Block and my brother wanted the engine.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ahh...gotcha. I guess I knew that about the prior years being a different body style.

Hubby wanted the '67 for the window but not earlier because he liked the 67-72 body style better.

We had a '72 when I was a kid that my parents bought new. My sister wrecked it twice. Dad bought the 78 to replace that one and got the camper special with the super heavy duty springs for hauling hay and pulling the stock trailer full of horses when we would go for trail rides.
    :) I to prefer the 67-72 body best, but will admit the 73-87 make for better drivers. Our '78 camper special rides like a log wagon, but that's to be expected with the leaf springs. I much prefer the rear coil springs my '72 had. The square bodies have more modern conveniences.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom