Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've heard many stories like that... Every design makes power differently and technology has come a long way in the Pontiac world. If you wanna go fast on the cheap, build a Chevy. If you wanna spend way more money and be different, build a poncho. ;)

I was told by a few people that I drove the 389 all wrong. I tried to run it way up in the Rev's and it just would not run there.
    It was Dyno tuned (yes, we had chassis Dyno's back then) to run the best it could. The headers really helped. I was just used to zinging my engines north of 7k when I ran them. If you have ever spent any time behind a really well tuned L-79 3 peddle Nova you will understand what I am talking about.
    The Poncho was happy in the mid to high 5's. The Bird was never happy.
    I did the same thing to the few MoPars I owned.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was told by a few people that I drove the 389 all wrong. I tried to run it way up in the Rev's and it just would not run there.
    It was Dyno tuned (yes, we had chassis Dyno's back then) to run the best it could. The headers really helped. I was just used to zinging my engines north of 7k when I ran them. If you have ever spent any time behind a really well tuned L-79 3 peddle Nova you will understand what I am talking about.
    The Poncho was happy in the mid to high 5's. The Bird was never happy.
    I did the same thing to the few MoPars I owned.
    Yup. Gotta drive a Poncho completely different. Short shifting is key, torque is where it's at. I have no gauges in mine so I shift by ear and feel. I have to use my phone for speedo, I shift into second around 30, can wind 2nd out to about 55-60 if you really push it. Have no idea what RPM I'm actually shifting at, but you can feel it nose down and a Pontiac stops pulling around 5200-5500... I've never had the car over 90, because it's screaming at that speed and idk rear end ratio and don't want to push it too hard...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lightning - yes
    Old plow truck - no, stock 5.0.

I was referring to the Lightning. I like those trucks. There was one that ran pretty regular with us at Raceway park. He drove it to the track. Put the slicks on it there and ran regular 11.20's with it. I believe he pushed it into the high 10's a few times IMS

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    So I am currently letting my lemans idle while the head gaskets get "fixed". Worth a shot, we'll see what happens....

How well did it work? The NAPA I used to work at had it, another brand, and Blue Devil ($69.99). I was told the Blue Devil actually worked if the directions were followed to a "T" but never sold any because of the cost.

Haven't had a lot of chances to get on lately with some stuff going on, just enough time to check things out real quick. I definitely have less time during the day now. Our service writer quit on Wednesday and I was moved up into his job while still doing mine. I used to do his when he was on vacation but I wanted to actually do it more. I got my wish. It is a little hectic at times but I am really liking the new responsibilities and being busy most of the day.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    How well did it work? The NAPA I used to work at had it, another brand, and Blue Devil ($69.99). I was told the Blue Devil actually worked if the directions were followed to a "T" but never sold any because of the cost.

Haven't had a lot of chances to get on lately with some stuff going on, just enough time to check things out real quick. I definitely have less time during the day now. Our service writer quit on Wednesday and I was moved up into his job while still doing mine. I used to do his when he was on vacation but I wanted to actually do it more. I got my wish. It is a little hectic at times but I am really liking the new responsibilities and being busy most of the day.
    The stuff I got was Bars Leak. Pour it in and let it idle for 15 mins, it said to let it cool and then top it off, but since I had filled it before I poured it in, I didn't follow that step. It was $25, this morning the rad was full. I will drive it more this weekend and see what happens. I have to drain the system before freeze now because it's mostly water in there right now....

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    The stuff I got was Bars Leak. Pour it in and let it idle for 15 mins, it said to let it cool and then top it off, but since I had filled it before I poured it in, I didn't follow that step. It was $25, this morning the rad was full. I will drive it more this weekend and see what happens. I have to drain the system before freeze now because it's mostly water in there right now....

So its even better than what they sold before. It was like $11 a bottle and we always wondered how well it worked.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bet I know who it is. It's a buddy and I also mow for him.
    He wrecked his Black truck and picked up a Silver. He pulled the turbo off the black one and put it on the Silver.
    Stock they are super charged.

I knew they had SC's on them from the factory.
    His was seriously fast compared to others we saw run.
    We never paired off with him but I did enjoy watching that one run.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom