Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well we will find out in the morning if that fixed it. Damn car drives so well, I'd hate to tear it apart... The thought of a refresh is still on my mind, but I just don't have the time and I could also do the same work to the 400 and have 50 more cubes... A stock 400 will run perfectly fine for me, but I don't know what the hell I want to do! Basically I want this thing to be a race car, but also I drive it all the time... As long as there isn't snow on the ground, it's getting driven. Bucket list thing is to also run the Cannonball someday in this car...

Might want to put a chevy in it for the cannon ball.....:stickpoke:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Some real nice looking cars and truck down here at the Smokey Mountain Rod Run.

We had some rain today and the 69 GTO developed a vacuum leak. We did find a broken hose and replaced it but still the trans wouldn't shift and the headlight covers wouldn't open.

After several hours dealing with the vacuum situation we discovered at tee was plugged with what looked like a mud dobbers nest.

Everything is gtg and we are headed out early in the morning to ride through Cherokee over to Maggie Valley. Gonna be a beautiful day in the mountains hearing the rumble of the 455 taking out the exhaust.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

We had some rain today and the 69 GTO developed a vacuum leak. We did find a broken hose and replaced it but still the trans wouldn't shift and the headlight covers wouldn't open.

After several hours dealing with the vacuum situation we discovered at tee was plugged with what looked like a mud dobbers nest.

Everything is gtg and we are headed out early in the morning to ride through Cherokee over to Maggie Valley. Gonna be a beautiful day in the mountains hearing the rumble of the 455 taking out the exhaust.
    Hard to beat the sound of a Pontiac. Any chance we can get a pic of that beauty?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well my radiator is still full. I actually overfilled it before I dumped the head gasket in the rad, it promptly relieved itself all over the driveway once up to temp. I went for a decently long drive after that is its at the full cold mark.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The spouse and I along with a few good friends have ran that road many times on the Harleys. I miss going down there. The Blue Ridge is one of our favorite places to ride.

Yes, pics of the GTO please.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I know a few Pontiac purists.
    Then they can join me in the :bat:.

I wouldn't consider myself a purist, but I like seeing a Pontiac engine in a Pontiac, a Chevy in a Chevy, Ford in a Ford.... Unless we are talking about old hot rod or rat rods, then by all means find the coolest looking engine and stick it in.

I so badly want a pre '34 car to tool around in.... Something odd and unique.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The Pontiac purists cringe at what I've done to mine, but I don't care. They are also the same people who have a completely showroom restored car and never drive it.... Mine is built to be driven. If you plan to drive them regularly, you learn pretty quick how much they suck in stock form....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Pontiac purists cringe at what I've done to mine, but I don't care. They are also the same people who have a completely showroom restored car and never drive it.... Mine is built to be driven. If you plan to drive them regularly, you learn pretty quick how much they suck in stock form....

Having owned a few Poncho's in my day I always found it far easier to swap out the engine for a bow tie big block if I wanted to go real fast.
    Now, giving credit where it is due the Firebird had that horrible olds engine in it. A 403 IMS. Horrible engine.
    The 65 Goat had a 389 Tri-Power that I wish I still owned as built. Who knew. It was relieved of duty by a 427 Tri-Power that in effect pushed the Goat around pretty well. After beating up on the locals with it only 1 guy recognized it for a BB chev. as everyone else was amazed the 389 was that fast. I did put the single air filters on the chev as a ruse but the valve covers gave it away to anyone with an eye.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Having owned a few Poncho's in my day I always found it far easier to swap out the engine for a bow tie big block if I wanted to go real fast.
    Now, giving credit where it is due the Firebird had that horrible olds engine in it. A 403 IMS. Horrible engine.
    The 65 Goat had a 389 Tri-Power that I wish I still owned as built. Who knew. It was relieved of duty by a 427 Tri-Power that in effect pushed the Goat around pretty well. After beating up on the locals with it only 1 guy recognized it for a BB chev. as everyone else was amazed the 389 was that fast. I did put the single air filters on the chev as a ruse but the valve covers gave it away to anyone with an eye.
    I've heard many stories like that... Every design makes power differently and technology has come a long way in the Pontiac world. If you wanna go fast on the cheap, build a Chevy. If you wanna spend way more money and be different, build a poncho. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom