• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anyone remember that mystery vibration my car has had for years?
    The engine has been on a stand for months now. And it wasn't until today that I finally walked over, grabbed the balancer, and found that I can move the crank by hand about 1/8 of an inch. Think I found my problem....
    So today you finally found the internal engine slop that our old friend CM thought you had. Guess he was right again

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    So today you finally found the internal engine slop that our old friend CM thought you had. Guess he was right again
    I can't say I'm surprised. I suspected that for awhile, but because of how it interacted with the clutch I always thought it was trans related.

I will say, I'm still unsure how I could have such a wild amount of play in there and yet it still ran like a champ for 20k+ miles of abuse.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can't say I'm surprised. I suspected that for awhile, but because of how it interacted with the clutch I always thought it was trans related.

I will say, I'm still unsure how I could have such a wild amount of play in there and yet it still ran like a champ for 20k+ miles of abuse.
    If it's as noticeable as you describe, it's wild you didn't have more problems.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I know the terminators & svt's were fast cars and all, but damn those were some fugly body's. Were they popular simply because they were fast and easy to mod on the cheap?

My least favorite 'stangs of all time in the looks department. My dad had a Ford Fairmount which those were based on and boy were they el cheapo POS's.
    I think the Fox platform has been held up as reintroducing fun to the car world after the horrible offerings of the '70's. Relatively inexpensive to own, easily modified, decent handling,light, etc. This particular one is just a GT convertible with some visual augmentation and some fairly extensive mods in the brake and handling department.

Last edited:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think the Fox platform has been held up as reintroducing fun to the car world after the horrible offerings of the '70's. Relatively inexpensive to own, easily modified, decent handling,light, etc. This particular one is just a GT convertible with some visual augmentation and some fairly extensive mods in the brake and handling department.

That’s always been the Mustang’s thing, cheap fun. I’ll love them till the day I die.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know the terminators & svt's were fast cars and all, but damn those were some fugly body's. Were they popular simply because they were fast and easy to mod on the cheap?

My least favorite 'stangs of all time in the looks department. My dad had a Ford Fairmount which those were based on and boy were they el cheapo POS's.
    Just to clarify for you. The Terminator Mustangs were the 2002-2004ish Mustang. The picture of the one FE shared is a Foxbody which spanned from 79-93. There were a few style variations across all those years. And yes the Ford Fairmount was basically a Foxbody Mustang with a body that looked like it was drawn by a 3rd grader. I had one with an inline 6cyl when I first got my license.

Edit- the early Mustangs were based on the same chassis as the Falcon

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Just to clarify for you. The Terminator Mustangs were the 2002-2004ish Mustang. The picture of the one FE shared is a Foxbody which spanned from 79-93. There were a few style variations across all those years. And yes the Ford Fairmount was basically a Foxbody Mustang with a body that looked like it was drawn by a 3rd grader. I had one with an inline 6cyl when I first got my license.

Edit- the early Mustangs were based on the same chassis as the Falcon
    Additional fun fact - the fox chassis spanned all the way from 79 to 04. So even though they wildly changed the body style in 94 and updated it in.... 98? Ford still used the same chassis that was designed in the late 70's. That's why you can take the IRS out of an 04 Terminator and, with only a few holes to drill, it basically lines right up in Grandma's 79 grocery getter.

And now that I'm saying that, I haven't seen it done in a Fairmont, but it should be doable.

There's a few other Ford/Mercury cars that used variations of the same chassis, just at different lengths. I've been looking for something I like that could be a total sleeper with the helps of a new heart and legs (suspension). Two on the list were the Lincoln Continental (82-87) and Continental Mark VII (84-92). Haven't found one for sale with a good enough price tag to justify the experiment yet.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Additional fun fact - the fox chassis spanned all the way from 79 to 04. So even though they wildly changed the body style in 94 and updated it in.... 98? Ford still used the same chassis that was designed in the late 70's. That's why you can take the IRS out of an 04 Terminator and, with only a few holes to drill, it basically lines right up in Grandma's 79 grocery getter.

And now that I'm saying that, I haven't seen it done in a Fairmont, but it should be doable.

There's a few other Ford/Mercury cars that used variations of the same chassis, just at different lengths. I've been looking for something I like that could be a total sleeper with the helps of a new heart and legs (suspension). Two on the list were the Lincoln Continental (82-87) and Continental Mark VII (84-92). Haven't found one for sale with a good enough price tag to justify the experiment yet.
    don't forget the T-bird/Cougar chassis as well. lots of fox chassis stuff fits in those as well.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville

A IRS Fairmont would be sweet!

I do love some of the 4 door fairmonts that people have done aero mustang front ends on.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    don't forget the T-bird/Cougar chassis as well. lots of fox chassis stuff fits in those as well.
    I didn't lol. I was specifically looking at the Lincoln's because I'm going to guess they'll have a more comfy interior. For a sleeper, four door family car, figured the Lincoln would be a better choice. And also far less appealing to the majority of hot rodders, meaning hopefully a cheaper price.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Oh the MKVII. I still love that thing. Then when the MKVII came out, wowzers!!! The wrap around crockpot, the 32 valve motor. Oh boy. Id daily one to this day. Although good examples are few and far between.

Screenshot_20220907-102103.png

And for some strange reason, I've always wanted to hot rod a late 80s Town Car. The brick of styling just makes it the ultimate sleeper.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Saw a Marauder in pretty good shape in Danville last weekend on 36. He tried to run with me in the 'Vette but no contest. He did give me a thumbs up tho.

Those seem pretty rare these days and definatley quick for the heavy thing it is.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Saw a Marauder in pretty good shape in Danville last weekend on 36. He tried to run with me in the 'Vette but no contest. He did give me a thumbs up tho.

Those seem pretty rare these days and definatley quick for the heavy thing it is.
    I forget who it is but I sold a rifle to a ingo member who drove a Marauder. I think he lives up by Remington.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes but thet didn't share the same platform for the same span of model years. Been a while since I had one but the 79 T-bird that I had was a full frame car (pretty sure the same from 79-83). Otherwise yes it was basically the same fox chassis. I say basically because when our 84 T-bird had the factory front clip on it, we had to add 1" spacers to make a Mustang K member fit and clear the oil pan that was supposed to fit in a Mustang. Otherwise they basically just took the Mustang chassis and stretched the floor pan 4" and put theT-bird body on it (only 4" longer wheel base)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I need a tiny turbo. Something for a 200cc motor.

I want to attach it to my boy's go-kart. I'm not going to actually use the pressure side but we think it would be cool to have it on the exhaust side for the sound. So do they have something that doesn't require an oil line?

We're just exploring options to see if it's even possible.

Something like this:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom