• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For me, my adventure is just starting. I bought a Jeep Cherokee from a Texan who drove it up me. It's more beat up than what the pictures show but that has always been the case when in past years I was buying cars on ebay.

Now I will let it sit while I decide what I want to do with it.

In the meantime, I will start working on swapping out the front axle since it currently has one that is not correct for the vehicle. The correct one in in the cargo area.

I'll strip it down, clean, paint, replace the wear components on it and then swap it.

But I probably should not post my work since this is a "hot rod" thread and until I get to the engine rebuild, there won't be much in the way of "hot rodding", lol.

I might be better to post in the couple of Jeep threads going on.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    For me, my adventure is just starting. I bought a Jeep Cherokee from a Texan who drove it up me. It's more beat up than what the pictures show but that has always been the case when in past years I was buying cars on ebay.

In the meantime, I will start working on swapping out the front axle since it currently has one that is not correct for the vehicle. The correct one in in the cargo area.

I'll strip it down, clean, paint, replace the wear components on it and then swap it.

But I probably should not post my work since this is a "hot rod" thread and until I get to the engine rebuild, there won't be much in the way of "hot rodding", lol.

We’re all about diversity and inclusion in this thread. Jeeps, 4x4’s, Daily Driver’s, etc. are all welcome! :ingo:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I echo what CP said, it's welcome here

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well it has been a long winter but now the calendar indicates that it's spring. Weather will most likely be touch & go for the next month but warmer weather is around the corner. That means it's time to start doing race car stuff.
    Will be heading up near Kokomo this morning to get the transmission picked up. Then we will probably start getting things put back together.
    Went yesterday and picked up a few things and chatted with a couple people about this whole bracket racing deal and the benefits of running a delay box and some of the strategies and games guys play. This could will be a new adventure since I've always been immersed in the heads up first to the finish line wins side og the sport.
    One thing that I kept hearing is how much difficulty people are having getting parts still.

So what is everyone else been up to with your projects?
    You are about to embark on a whole new level of adventure if you start bracket racing. Fast as you car is you are for sure super pro class and yes you need the box. And about 30 passes to actually master it...:):
    If you are any good on the tree then you could survive with out it.
    We chose to run Pro so we were the fastest car in the lanes. We ran catch up and I prefer that but some of those guys dial light with some in the bank and they will stand their car on its nose playing the finish line with the brakes. Its a serious game.
    We could dial the Camaro and run the number in the window most times so no games for us. They hated running my car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Post and with pics please.
    Seriously. I want to see what you finally got after all your searching.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Post and with pics please.
    Seriously. I want to see what you finally got after all your searching.
    I'll snag some. I really didn't look at that hard for the XJ. It was the squarebody Chevy that I wore myself out on. I probably looked (online) at about 50 or so and had decided if I didn't get this one at the price I was willing to pay, I was going to hang it up and move on.

I'm a little embarrassed by what I bought. But I shouldn't be. I wanted a project. I got one. I didn't want rust. I didn't get rust.

I just wasn't planning on so many bumps and bangs to have to work out,lol. I will replace what bolts on and learn some bodywork maybe for the rest.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You are about to embark on a whole new level of adventure if you start bracket racing. Fast as you car is you are for sure super pro class and yes you need the box. And about 30 passes to actually master it...:):
    If you are any good on the tree then you could survive with out it.
    We chose to run Pro so we were the fastest car in the lanes. We ran catch up and I prefer that but some of those guys dial light with some in the bank and they will stand their car on its nose playing the finish line with the brakes. Its a serious game.
    We could dial the Camaro and run the number in the window most times so no games for us. They hated running my car.
    Yeah, the plan for now is to run Super Pro. Since it's not all about getting to the stripe first we are just going to run it on motor only. But with the new converter it will probably be high 5.20s- low 5.30s at the 1/8th. Running on a pro tree is easy since A- both cars leave at the same time and B- because as soon as you see a flash of yellow you let off the button and do the boogie. The full tree will take some getting used to watching the yellows drop one at a time.
    I've been told by a couple people that it's likely more often than not, I will do the chasing unless it's a rail in the other lane. Obviously a box will let me release the button on the other guys top bulb and then watch the tree and wait my turn. So, I guess I've got that going for me lol.
    I was introduced to a guy that has offered to help me with the learning curve. Still, stuff like bump up, bump down, giving the stripe, racing the stripe are all new to me.
    Going yo have to get out and make some passes just to work on consistency rather than trying to rotate the Earth.

I will message you who I was introduced to and maybe you can give me your opinion

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'll snag some. I really didn't look at that hard for the XJ. It was the squarebody Chevy that I wore myself out on. I probably looked (online) at about 50 or so and had decided if I didn't get this one at the price I was willing to pay, I was going to hang it up and move on.

I'm a little embarrassed by what I bought. But I shouldn't be. I wanted a project. I got one. I didn't want rust. I didn't get rust.

I just wasn't planning on so many bumps and bangs to have to work out,lol. I will replace what bolts on and learn some bodywork maybe for the rest.
    I've been wanting an XJ for a few years now. Drove a YJ in highschool. Still not happy with how that Jeep "disappeared." One day it was at Dad's, the next it was gone. Never even told me he was selling it (it was his the whole time). Tons of memories in that Jeep and he didn't even bother to ask if I wanted it. Really irks me. Supposedly it still lives, but I can't get anyone to tell me wtf happened to it.

If I find an XJ, it's gonna be 2-4" of lift, probably some good looking 33's and offroad-looking wheels (none of that pavement princess crap). I want 16" wheels on it. An armored front bumper but nothing super aggressive. Winch. Maybe a baja bar, but it's not a must. Rock sliders. Armored rear bumper, again nothing aggressive. Spare tire on the rear like it should be. Roof rack. Some KC lights, preferably on the rack. A good interior with all the commodities.

I've considered finding one with a blown engine and doing a diesel swap. I've looked into those over the years. Finally decided that if I go that route I'm just gonna have to break down and spend the money. Probably do a 4bt for reliability and simplicity, coupled with an NV4500 or maybe a 47RH (no electronic shifting).

We'll see.... I've seen a few rougher ones on FB in the last week that nearly had me going to the wife for approval... Gotta focus on the turbo Mustang and the truck this year.

Speaking of the truck. Making a list of some of the stuff I wanna do while the engine and trans are out. One is sound deadening, but not for the reason you're all thinking. I want the engine to be less quiet on the OUTSIDE of the truck, not the inside. When I put the second turbo back on, it quiets down the truck immensely.
    Standing outside the truck, it's still really loud. I want to quiet that down. This is actually a big reason why I want a Jeep - I hate driving into the woods at 5 or 6am and feeling like I'm scaring off every creature known to man.

I'm thinking of dyna-mat for the entire firewall and trans tunnel. But that's really only gonna affect the cab. Could I use dyna-mat on the inside of the fenders and the hood (hood currently has no insulation)?
    Seriously, I'll pull the fenders off and line them with dyna-mat if it will keep the noise down.

I'm gonna look at something I can wrap around the engine, too. The block, that is. Just want the thing to kind of purr when you're standing next to it.

Well.... there's my novel for the week.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been wanting an XJ for a few years now. Drove a YJ in highschool. Still not happy with how that Jeep "disappeared." One day it was at Dad's, the next it was gone. Never even told me he was selling it (it was his the whole time). Tons of memories in that Jeep and he didn't even bother to ask if I wanted it. Really irks me. Supposedly it still lives, but I can't get anyone to tell me wtf happened to it.

If I find an XJ, it's gonna be 2-4" of lift, probably some good looking 33's and offroad-looking wheels (none of that pavement princess crap). I want 16" wheels on it. An armored front bumper but nothing super aggressive. Winch. Maybe a baja bar, but it's not a must. Rock sliders. Armored rear bumper, again nothing aggressive. Spare tire on the rear like it should be. Roof rack. Some KC lights, preferably on the rack. A good interior with all the commodities.

I've considered finding one with a blown engine and doing a diesel swap. I've looked into those over the years. Finally decided that if I go that route I'm just gonna have to break down and spend the money. Probably do a 4bt for reliability and simplicity, coupled with an NV4500 or maybe a 47RH (no electronic shifting).

We'll see.... I've seen a few rougher ones on FB in the last week that nearly had me going to the wife for approval... Gotta focus on the turbo Mustang and the truck this year.

Speaking of the truck. Making a list of some of the stuff I wanna do while the engine and trans are out. One is sound deadening, but not for the reason you're all thinking. I want the engine to be less quiet on the OUTSIDE of the truck, not the inside. When I put the second turbo back on, it quiets down the truck immensely.
    Standing outside the truck, it's still really loud. I want to quiet that down. This is actually a big reason why I want a Jeep - I hate driving into the woods at 5 or 6am and feeling like I'm scaring off every creature known to man.

I'm thinking of dyna-mat for the entire firewall and trans tunnel. But that's really only gonna affect the cab. Could I use dyna-mat on the inside of the fenders and the hood (hood currently has no insulation)?
    Seriously, I'll pull the fenders off and line them with dyna-mat if it will keep the noise down.

I'm gonna look at something I can wrap around the engine, too. The block, that is. Just want the thing to kind of purr when you're standing next to it.

Well.... there's my novel for the week.
    Glad the threads mad scientist is still up and thinking.

Top Bottom