• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I cut the fender lips and bent the sheet metal up to make a little extra room for wider tires. Still had the back end jacked up. Like CM says, it was the look back then. A nice rake was important.

Now looking back, I'm glad the rear wheel wells never got "kissed" by another car. I'm sure I weakened the structural integrity of the rear quarter wheel well area significantly.

Oh well, it was fun.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Early 90s weren't any better. Cruising around McKinley in Mishawaka you'd occasionally run into a semi-fast 5.0 Mustang. There were a couple rich kids riding around in twin turbo 300Z cars. That was about the fastest stock thing around, but neither kid could drive a stick to save his arse, let alone race one. Small block swapped, lifted Toyota 4X4 trucks were all the rage for a minute. Some of them were crazy fast. There was a bright yellow one that the kid used to race at the OC dragstrip on the weekends. One of the fastest, and scariest rides I saw up there was a big block swapped CJ7 on 38s.
    There was a white fox body that had a 460 in it that ran around the strip too.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    3"s sounds right. I know I was still over even after lowering it with the right wheels and the axle work. Maybe 4"s total. But that was in another life and time...:): Never owned a 68 past the few we flipped. 69 is my year. Love-em.
    wished now I would have just stuck them in storage
    but like saying goes : :poop: in one hand and wish in another, see which one fills up first

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It'd be neat to bring this back to life but that's a little too much coin for it. Now if it had a connection to Glidden, Garlits, Granetelli, or some other name then yeah!

00f0f_1tFg92stDHfz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It'd be neat to bring this back to life but that's a little too much coin for it. Now if it had a connection to Glidden, Garlits, Granetelli, or some other name then yeah!

The price is a bit much for sure. But if done right it still has the potential to be a good project car. You need another project right? Lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Brother thats all I have right now is time. I thought he went Pro line and promax.
    The blower cars are making a comeback. It seems they are more consistent, and altitude is not as big a factor as to staging/spool up. Mark Martin is running promax now.

It would have been my buddy's 68 banana yellow Nova, Taxicab plain no frills. He had to put a cigarette lighter in it as there were no comfort options. L-79 327 with some frills and some chassis work. It was a great streetcar.
    Fuzzy memories of running up next to a mustang and we never beat it and he did not get around us. It was fun. Pretty tall fellow driving it. I want to say a lite color pain but that was not important.
    This sticks in my memories as we usually outran most of the fords back then at least on the street. Lite to lite.

I am checking out Dady Dave.
    Pretty sure he went Pro Line hemi pretty much the exact set up Ryan Martin went to. I think it's Pro Line hemi with Procharger

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty sure he went Pro Line hemi pretty much the exact set up Ryan Martin went to. I think it's Pro Line hemi with Procharger
    He is a serious bad ass and a very generous man.

He won the series championship surviving the 1st round at the last race.
    On the 2nd round chip draw, he donated $10K of his $100K prize money to one of the 3 that were tied for 2nd place to race for. Now how many of us would even think about doing this. Kye Kelly won 2nd and ran Mark in the finals losing that round.
    It was a good way to finish the season.

Those guys run the living hell out of those cars. They test relentlessly and race like madmen.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Well it is a 67 Mustang but $10K seems more reasonable.
    That car looks soooo familiar and we ran division 3 so I am sure I have seen it and or raced it in the past.
    WE were put on the trailer by some very fast and very consistent fords. He had some sponsors and ran division so there you go.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'm not really a Ford guy but that would be enticing if the body were more solid and the price a little lower.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    wished now I would have just stuck them in storage
    but like saying goes : :poop: in one hand and wish in another, see which one fills up first
    It was a time where these things were everywhere for a reasonable price. Sooo many young men bought these cars and got hit in the draft and were put on a plain to go and kill the yellow man. Never to return or the parents/girlfriend/wife sold the car to maintain the bills on the home front.

WE had cash and the connections to find them. Many needed some minor work like full tune ups plugs points cap rotor and wires. Run the valves and a clutch. Normal stuff. Tires. Turn around was easy and profitable. Mostly. It is how we funded our own hot rods.
    We did a maybe 4 of the 68's and all were 327's with 3 peddles. Also did a 68 Z-28. That one had been beat on severely. Car was great. Drive train was beat. Driving it home #1 rod started to complain. I shut it off and had a wrecker come and get it. This was 1971 I believe, and it needed bored .010, 2 new rods, crank saved at .010 and a cam, lifters and springs. Full valve job. Clutch and turned flywheel. Trans needed Syncros and the shifter was junk. Car had sat over a year so that guy literally beat this thing to death. Body was great as was the interior. I remember this one clearly as I almost kept it. It was a stupid fast car, and it was my favorite blue with white stripes. If I would have had the ready cash to buy out my partner I probably would have. But life has its own plans. And If I could have kept these cars but man who knew. They were just cars then.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not really a Ford guy but that would be enticing if the body were more solid and the price a little lower.
    Not seeing much wrong with the body. Paint is always a part of the re-furbish. Let me go put my eyeballs on this again.
    Yes, on the price. No way of knowing how deep the engine needs gone into.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Man, where do these guys get the funds to run at this level.
    That engine is a work of art. Well, anything Allen Johnson does.
    That's a good question. I'm sure they have sponsorship deals, and I'm sure they also get some funding from Discovery as well. And, man they sure do sell some swag.
    If it were me, I probably couldn't give T-shirts away lol.
    I recall some early SO episodes where a few discussed what kind of work they were doing when the TV gig started. They were just doing regular jobs like the rest of us. Chief did HVAC, Shaun (Murder Nova) worked with fiber optic cables, Dave was a state worker and Jerry (Monza) did garage doors. They sure have come a long way and they all have some very serious shops too

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's a good question. I'm sure they have sponsorship deals, and I'm sure they also get some funding from Discovery as well. And, man they sure do sell some swag.
    If it were me, I probably couldn't give T-shirts away lol.
    I recall some early SO episodes where a few discussed what kind of work they were doing when the TV gig started. They were just doing regular jobs like the rest of us. Chief did HVAC, Shaun (Murder Nova) worked with fiber optic cables, Dave was a state worker and Jerry (Monza) did garage doors. They sure have come a long way and they all have some very serious shops too
    Doc has a truck repair business as I remember but his presence is minimal these days since he totaled the street beast. In a borrowed car. He and Chuck are supposed to have new cars in process.
    Chuck annoys me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The price is a bit much for sure. But if done right it still has the potential to be a good project car. You need another project right? Lol
    Yeah it would look good sitting next to my own "sitting for 20 years" project! :lmfao: Honestly though I've been looking for a '67 or '68 for some time. I have a nice little 393 stroker on a stand and just picked up a small block C6 so I'm halfway there. Right!? Biggest thing holding me back on this one imho is that I would have to restore it to its "as raced" condition and I'm not really looking for a restored racecar. I've already got one of those I'm working on.

I have two different retirement windows, one at 2 years and one at 4 years. The wife's pushing for the 2 year window but I've got a few things I'd like to accomplish before retirement and they cost money. Something like this car is on this short list.

That is of course "assuming" that I finish the 3 I'm currently working on.:ugh:

Top Bottom