Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Again I agree 100%. From everything I can recall every sanctioning body that ends up with spec racing claims it is to "help" teams cut costs and make the racing closer. But it drives people away both fans and people who just want to race. Someone needs to do some serious market research and see what fans want to see and then work with teams to figure out if it is attainable while keeping rules to a minimal to allow creativity and then if a certain combo becomes to dominate adjust the rules. I would love to see Radial vs the World run at a national event for big prize money. They draw huge crowds and many are a youmger generation.

The claims of savings are pure crap.
    The big sanctioning bodys see a lot of revenue from this crap. They supply the parts/pieces for their spec cars that you buy through them of someone affiliated with them. Indy is the worst at this.
    Yes, the stands reflect the rules.

I remember when edgewater park would near fill the stands on a Saturday night bracket meet but they had some "A" fuelers and other show cars (Wheel standers and maybe a jet car) along with a huge car count for the bracket series.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Ok, so you plan to lower it's stance.. What do you really plan to do with it? Mostly just a cruiser or are you going to make that truck work? What rear end is under it? Oh and you gotta keep a Ford engine in that thing. Don't let it be a crossdresser

Just looking to have a fun low buck cruiser, I believe it has a 9" rear end right now. I found it on Craig's List in Montana, my brother-in-law took a look at it for me. Looking at the plate it's been sitting in the guys field since 1994.

Hot Rod Garage just did a body swap of that same F100 onto a Crown Vic chassis. All of the episodes are on YouTube if you search for "Crown Hick". It turned out really cool. Good solid chassis with a classic body.

I watched the videos and that was a great series, but would require a lot more fab work than what I want to do to it. We believe it has the original paint on it and the only rust hole we have seen so far is a 3-4" hole on the passenger cab corner. I've been without a fun car for a long time so I want to get it running quickly, cheaply and right now I don't want to do anything that can't be undone.

Thanks to the rest of you for the comments, I'm really itching to get it here and start working on it.

Pat

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Here's a shot of the passenger side, you can see the rust hole in the cab corner. The inside of the bed has surface rust and some dents but very minor damage. I feel very fortunate to have found it and in the price range I wanted to pay.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The claims of savings are pure crap.
    The big sanctioning bodys see a lot of revenue from this crap. They supply the parts/pieces for their spec cars that you buy through them of someone affiliated with them. Indy is the worst at this.
    Yes, the stands reflect the rules.

I remember when edgewater park would near fill the stands on a Saturday night bracket meet but they had some "A" fuelers and other show cars (Wheel standers and maybe a jet car) along with a huge car count for the bracket series.

It's been several years since we raced at edgwater but always liked that place. They always seemed to have a decent crowd and absolutely enjoyed the huge shade trees in the pits. The last couple years we have been watching crowd sizes dwindle at most races but when you watch any of the no prep or drag radial races for big money, it brings out all the big name door car guys and with it the crowds are huge. The trend in heads up seems to be racers being more selective as to what events they want to run rather than following a series. They save their money and hit 2 or 3 of the big money races and then do whatever the rest of the summer. I don't get it

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just looking to have a fun low buck cruiser, I believe it has a 9" rear end right now. I found it on Craig's List in Montana, my brother-in-law took a look at it for me. Looking at the plate it's been sitting in the guys field since 1994.

I watched the videos and that was a great series, but would require a lot more fab work than what I want to do to it. We believe it has the original paint on it and the only rust hole we have seen so far is a 3-4" hole on the passenger cab corner. I've been without a fun car for a long time so I want to get it running quickly, cheaply and right now I don't want to do anything that can't be undone.

Thanks to the rest of you for the comments, I'm really itching to get it here and start working on it.

Pat

Looks straight, hopefully the frame is still really solid. Make sure the cab mounts aren't rusted away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's been several years since we raced at edgwater but always liked that place. They always seemed to have a decent crowd and absolutely enjoyed the huge shade trees in the pits. The last couple years we have been watching crowd sizes dwindle at most races but when you watch any of the no prep or drag radial races for big money, it brings out all the big name door car guys and with it the crowds are huge. The trend in heads up seems to be racers being more selective as to what events they want to run rather than following a series. They save their money and hit 2 or 3 of the big money races and then do whatever the rest of the summer. I don't get it

As you well know the cost of campaigning a car even in the bracket series is insane. Running in a division and trying to get enough points to make the big show at the end is becoming astronomical. Fuel/tires/maint./ travel expenses/entry fee's/food etc for an entire weekend at the track.
    We did this with 2 cars. 1 was the 65 in "Street" with the 12.0 break out. and the 69 in Pro and occasionally S-Pro depending on the money.
    Just getting the team set up was mind boggling. Well, my mind anyway.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As you well know the cost of campaigning a car even in the bracket series is insane. Running in a division and trying to get enough points to make the big show at the end is becoming astronomical. Fuel/tires/maint./ travel expenses/entry fee's/food etc for an entire weekend at the track.
    We did this with 2 cars. 1 was the 65 in "Street" with the 12.0 break out. and the 69 in Pro and occasionally S-Pro depending on the money.

Again you make very valid points. Several yeara ago when we started drag racing we jumped into the heads up scene and been there ever since. We typically only get out once a month to keep costs in check. So I can understand being selective to keep costs in check. However, we used to always have good car counts and good size crowds. The problem with this trend of only racing 2 or 3 times is that it kills any series when you know there are cars out there that fit the rules and can be competitive but don't show up. Back in June we went to a race and only had 4 cars show up in our class & that sucks. Another aspect that is taking over is everyone is getting involved in street outlaws style list racing. I just want to see people back in the staging lanes with their cars and bringing their families/friends back to the tracks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Again you make very valid points. Several yeara ago when we started drag racing we jumped into the heads up scene and been there ever since. We typically only get out once a month to keep costs in check. So I can understand being selective to keep costs in check. However, we used to always have good car counts and good size crowds. The problem with this trend of only racing 2 or 3 times is that it kills any series when you know there are cars out there that fit the rules and can be competitive but don't show up. Back in June we went to a race and only had 4 cars show up in our class & that sucks. Another aspect that is taking over is everyone is getting involved in street outlaws style list racing. I just want to see people back in the staging lanes with their cars and bringing their families/friends back to the tracks.

As to your last sentence.....Yes. The social aspect of the sport/passion are why we had so much fun.
    If you add up all the time you actually spend on the track it may be just a matter of minutes depending on how far you advance. The rest of the time is spent socializing unless you hurt the car.
    We usually had at least one of out cars in the money rounds. If they both made it it was a stellar day.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

This is why I no longer do the sponsor thing. I'm independent as all get out. I'll take my thrills and smiles at my own leisure.
    It's a lot of money. More than I can spend or even have IF I want to go all in again.
    It used to be if you were GOOD that you could get good sponsor bucks without the sponsor albatross hanging around your neck.
    You just stuck their logo on the side. Size of Logo dependent on cash donation.
    You raced for the love of it. The competitive juices and jazz made the long weeks and sleepless nights irrelevant.
    I do well to build a good car these days. It's a costly adventure for sure. Corporate budget programs would laugh their asses off at me and my low dollar single car with no spare parts to be competitive with. I have to live with what brung me. I have very few back up parts that are my "first line" competition set ups.
    Thankfully there's a quality "street scene" still. It's fast. Like any good competition you'd better have your A game in place. It's a breath of fresh air. Or... a touch of nostalgia.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is why I no longer do the sponsor thing. I'm independent as all get out. I'll take my thrills and smiles at my own leisure.
    It's a lot of money. More than I can spend or even have IF I want to go all in again.
    It used to be if you were GOOD that you could get good sponsor bucks without the sponsor albatross hanging around your neck.
    You just stuck their logo on the side. Size of Logo dependent on cash donation.
    You raced for the love of it. The competitive juices and jazz made the long weeks and sleepless nights irrelevant.
    I do well to build a good car these days. It's a costly adventure for sure. Corporate budget programs would laugh their asses off at me and my low dollar single car with no spare parts to be competitive with. I have to live with what brung me. I have very few back up parts that are my "first line" competition set ups.
    Thankfully there's a quality "street scene" still. It's fast. Like any good competition you'd better have your A game in place. It's a breath of fresh air. Or... a touch of nostalgia.

To quote Bob G, our only sponsor is AP finance. That's ass pocket finance. We don't have the budget a lot of our competition has and we don't own any businesses to help cover costs as advertising write offs either. We have been able to stay competitive by surrounding ourselves with some great people who know more than we do. It's a huge investment but it's what we do because we love it. As for the street scene, it continues to grow but to be honest there's just too much liability on the street. Oh and I don't want to go out and hope to get a race

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    To quote Bob G, our only sponsor is AP finance. That's ass pocket finance. We don't have the budget a lot of our competition has and we don't own any businesses to help cover costs as advertising write offs either. We have been able to stay competitive by surrounding ourselves with some great people who know more than we do. It's a huge investment but it's what we do because we love it. As for the street scene, it continues to grow but to be honest there's just too much liability on the street. Oh and I don't want to go out and hope to get a race

There's a quality subculture on the street. It spans surrounding states even. It overflows to the track at times.
    You MIGHT be surprised at the "big boys" at the track that love the street.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a knowledgeable friend stop by and look at the 4L60 and yes, it is an "E" series.
    If I am going with the controller I will step up to the 4L80 as it will carry more torque than the 60.
    This is next. I am an oil pan and carb rebuild away from the engine being done.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My buddy has been to several of these events as a spectator but plans to take his 69 Firebird out or recently put together 65 LeMans.

I have raced at that track several times when I lived down there. I was there pretty much every Friday night with my 64 Chevy II

The track is 600 ft instead of 660.

[video=youtube;9BY5rGc1cwE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BY5rGc1cwE[/video]

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There's a quality subculture on the street. It spans surrounding states even. It overflows to the track at times.
    You MIGHT be surprised at the "big boys" at the track that love the street.

Oh I know plenty of "big boys" playing on the streets. Unless there are full blown Pro Mods on the property, I run with those big boys. Even on our smaller budget we can get it done. But you gotta understand on top of all the extra liability on the streets, there's even more for me because I work for the local govt. I used to play on the streets when I had 5.50's capable street car....but I grew up. Most street racers aren't as fast they think they are. Seen their feelings hurt too many times when they are handed a time slip and they find out it's not as fast as they thought.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh I know plenty of "big boys" playing on the streets. Unless there are full blown Pro Mods on the property, I run with those big boys. Even on our smaller budget we can get it done. But you gotta understand on top of all the extra liability on the streets, there's even more for me because I work for the local govt. I used to play on the streets when I had 5.50's capable street car....but I grew up. Most street racers aren't as fast they think they are. Seen their feelings hurt too many times when they are handed a time slip and they find out it's not as fast as they thought.

The crew I ran with when we were street racing our Harley's started racing on street night at raceway park. It brought a stream of street racers out there. The "Busa" boys included.
    The track was my world and I smoked a lot of faster bikes just being in my element.

Tchicken you are correct. The look on their faces when they get the ET slip is priceless. At the track there is no parked cars or poles to reference your speed like on the street. The track is wide open and all things are relative. When you put the front wheel on that beam the lies stop right there. Knowing what is coming when you light up that 1st bulb.....Priceless.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Dash is out of old truck. Ordered new dash panel today so hopefully have the six piece autometer gauges in by the weekend.

Steering column will have to wait until winter tear down so that I don't have to miss too much of the cruising season.

The led lights in gauges will require a different module to dim dash lights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dash is out of old truck. Ordered new dash panel today so hopefully have the six piece autometer gauges in by the weekend.

Steering column will have to wait until winter tear down so that I don't have to miss too much of the cruising season.

The led lights in gauges will require a different module to dim dash lights.

Pics please.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sometimes I think about things too much.

The title line, "No replacement for displacement" is something I have heard that has been universally embraced since I remember, and that was the mid 1960's. Having blown the bottom end out of more than my share of 396's while learning to wrench and drive them, I still think there are advantages to big blocks. Same for FoMoCo and Mopar. It is funny that this is on a firearms site that would argue that statement if it is 9mm vs. .40+ calibers and up.
    "I think I need a smaller motor" is something I have never heard among gear heads.
    There was even a time in my past that the day I bought a 4 speaker guitar amplifier was the day I started saving for an 8 speaker system, and I was driving a big block Buick at the time.

The heart of hot rodding.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom