Not open for further replies.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Pics please.

5 PC. GAUGE KIT, 3-3/8" & 2-1/16", ELECTRIC SPEEDO W/LCD ODO, PRESTIGE ANTQ. IVORY

3-3/8" IN-DASH TACHOMETER, 0-8,000 RPM, PRESTIGE ANTIQUE IVORY

IMG_0548.JPGIMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG

I went with the matte black panel instead of brushed alum or carbon fiber.
    Carbon fiber doesn't go with the look and the gauges will get washed out with the alum.

I purchased the Gauges at a car show. I got a discount for the show price and got a $50 rebate for their annual Tach sale during Tax season. I ended up around $725 for the set of six. It even come with new float for gas tank if needed.

Everyting is electrical instead of plumbing in the cab.

Im kinda old school so this is a leap for me.

So so far I'm seeing several butchered wires just twisted together :xmad:

I have already went through several other wires and replaced them.

Id like to do a complete rewire but holy crap $800-900.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Sometimes I think about things too much.

The title line, "No replacement for displacement" is something I have heard that has been universally embraced since I remember, and that was the mid 1960's. Having blown the bottom end out of more than my share of 396's while learning to wrench and drive them, I still think there are advantages to big blocks. Same for FoMoCo and Mopar. It is funny that this is on a firearms site that would argue that statement if it is 9mm vs. .40+ calibers and up.
    "I think I need a smaller motor" is something I have never heard among gear heads.
    There was even a time in my past that the day I bought a 4 speaker guitar amplifier was the day I started saving for an 8 speaker system, and I was driving a big block Buick at the time.

The heart of hot rodding.

So true.

My eight year old grandson will even give me the "What chu talkin bout Willis" look when I'm teasing him and say "Those tires are too wide on the rear of that car". He will just say "Never too wide Poppy"

He even said he wished the whole world was made of bacon.

He's off to a good start.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So true.

My eight year old grandson will even give me the "What chu talkin bout Willis" look when I'm teasing him and say "Those tires are too wide on the rear of that car". He will just say "Never too wide Poppy"

He even said he wished the whole world was made of bacon.

He's off to a good start.

Training the kid well Glueman

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    5 PC. GAUGE KIT, 3-3/8" & 2-1/16", ELECTRIC SPEEDO W/LCD ODO, PRESTIGE ANTQ. IVORY

3-3/8" IN-DASH TACHOMETER, 0-8,000 RPM, PRESTIGE ANTIQUE IVORY

View attachment 57981View attachment 57982
    View attachment 57983

I went with the matte black panel instead of brushed alum or carbon fiber.
    Carbon fiber doesn't go with the look and the gauges will get washed out with the alum.

I purchased the Gauges at a car show. I got a discount for the show price and got a $50 rebate for their annual Tach sale during Tax season. I ended up around $725 for the set of six. It even come with new float for gas tank if needed.

Everyting is electrical instead of plumbing in the cab.

Im kinda old school so this is a leap for me.

So so far I'm seeing several butchered wires just twisted together :xmad:

I have already went through several other wires and replaced them.

Id like to do a complete rewire but holy crap $800-900.

Wiring is one area that so many gear heads just suck at. They just suck.
    This is one of my areas of expertise. From indy all the way down to a street rod. Wiring done properly is essential with todays hi-output ignition systems and bracket race electronics.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wiring is one area that so many gear heads just suck at. They just suck.
    This is one of my areas of expertise. From indy all the way down to a street rod. Wiring done properly is essential with todays hi-output ignition systems and bracket race electronics.

Some people don't have that ability to know or visualize it all.
    The electronics were part of my job at GM and Chrysler.
    My basic knowledge of electronics was beaten into me via the NEET

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just do not understand body shops. This should have been in paint (firewall) 3 weeks ago.
    I need to set the engine in this thing and clear up my shop.

JHnC7bL.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some people don't have that ability to know or visualize it all.
    The electronics were part of my job at GM and Chrysler.
    My basic knowledge of electronics was beaten into me via the NEET

I have always been adept at wiring. Automotive stuff is cake.
    Try taking a 1989 Lola/Chevy and putting a Buick V-6 Turbo in it. The electronics do not cross over anywhere. Even the dash cluster has to be changed out.
    Put the prints for both systems out on the floor next to the car and start from this point right here.........^

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have always been adept at wiring. Automotive stuff is cake.
    Try taking a 1989 Lola/Chevy and putting a Buick V-6 Turbo in it. The electronics do not cross over anywhere. Even the dash cluster has to be changed out.
    Put the prints for both systems out on the floor next to the car and start from this point right here.........^

That would suck. Doing a complete wiring job on a car canbe a PITA but you just have to think it through. Figure out where you want to place the electronics, what needs to be easy access, where and how you want to run the wires. Like so much, think it through and make a plan before you start and it's not too bad...time consuming but it's. Not hard

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just do not understand body shops. This should have been in paint (firewall) 3 weeks ago.

JHnC7bL.jpg
    [/QUOT

Dropping a project car off at a body shop is like sending a car off to prison. You can stop in and visit from time to time and eventually it will get to go home. A lot of chassis shops work that way as well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

JHnC7bL.jpg
    [/QUOT

Dropping a project car off at a body shop is like sending a car off to prison. You can stop in and visit from time to time and eventually it will get to go home. A lot of chassis shops work that way as well

There has been a bit of progress but the guy doing this is just working on too many cars. The young man that owns this car was a bit slow on the funding but I understand he is up to speed now. Guess he lost his place in line.
    I will be doing the wiring on this one also.
    Dang it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That would suck. Doing a complete wiring job on a car canbe a PITA but you just have to think it through. Figure out where you want to place the electronics, what needs to be easy access, where and how you want to run the wires. Like so much, think it through and make a plan before you start and it's not too bad...time consuming but it's. Not hard

The thing about an Indy car is available room and as you said...access. How to get from this point to that point and do it neatly. The air going through the side pods is actually going faster than the car when you figure the down force generated by the tunnels etc. The looms have to be secure and part of the structure. Pretty tedious stuff.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sitting on Main in Speedway across from dallara; there's what appears to be a leftover from the brickyard and one from the 500 doing laps around the block. With the windows down in my car it would seem that they aren't TOO concerned with the speed limit signs once they turn off main!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sitting on Main in Speedway across from dallara; there's what appears to be a leftover from the brickyard and one from the 500 doing laps around the block. With the windows down in my car it would seem that they aren't TOO concerned with the speed limit signs once they turn off main!

Those are the renta-rides.

You are 10 minutes from me...:cool:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Those are the renta-rides.

You are 10 minutes from me...:cool:

Yup, I was there for a corporate gig and they were giving rides. I was a little disappointed in the whole deal, I had really hoped we'd get to see some of the behind the scenes stuff but they had it all blocked out of view. I drew a ride in the stockcar two seater and there was so much traffic we just basically putted around the block. He did step on it a little at one point and I told him it almost pushed me as far into the seat as my 540.

Yeah I know, insurance, people with motion sickness etc. It would have been nice to take a lap or two around the track but not tonight!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

I've done lots of work inside that Dallara shop. Back where the business happens is like a surgeon's room. Squeaky clean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom