Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey all, just wanted to share my new project bought it today out of Billings MT. and it should be here late Sept to early Oct.

Plans are to do a Crown Vic front suspension and flip the rear axle to lower the whole thing 3-4 inches. No engine or trans in it so I can go with just about anything I want still working on that decision.

I should add, 1964 F100 two wheel drive.

I'm open to suggestions...

Wow nice Patina.
    It would be hard not to leave the body as is if it is as solid as it appears.
    Drive train.....Man that is up to you of course but try and stay Blue Oval. To many guys just freak out if you put anything else between the fenders.

I like the front clip idea.
    Try and get the axle (rear) as well for the disk brakes and a wider selection of gearing.

Heck just buy an Intact car and use everything. There are some nice ones out there.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wow nice Patina.
    It would be hard not to leave the body as is if it is as solid as it appears.
    Drive train.....Man that is up to you of course but try and stay Blue Oval. To many guys just freak out if you put anything else between the fenders.

I like the front clip idea.
    Try and get the axle (rear) as well for the disk brakes and a wider selection of gearing.

Heck just buy an Intact car and use everything. There are some nice ones out there.

This is a good old Ford "Pre-Blue oval". I had a few of these back in the day. 6 Cyl 3 on the tree. The spot weld kept breaking on the shifter tube in the column. After changing 3 of them I bought a brand new one, lightly brazed it up on the sides of the rectangle shift bar and was good to go. Growing up in the hills and a body shop has its advantages. "Poor boy...Poor ways"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a good old Ford "Pre-Blue oval". I had a few of these back in the day. 6 Cyl 3 on the tree. The spot weld kept breaking on the shifter tube in the column. After changing 3 of them I bought a brand new one, lightly brazed it up on the sides of the rectangle shift bar and was good to go. Growing up in the hills and a body shop has its advantages. "Poor boy...Poor ways"

:thumbsup:

Oh....love the new avatar

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Hey all, just wanted to share my new project bought it today out of Billings MT. and it should be here late Sept to early Oct.

Plans are to do a Crown Vic front suspension and flip the rear axle to lower the whole thing 3-4 inches. No engine or trans in it so I can go with just about anything I want still working on that decision.

Hot Rod Garage just did a body swap of that same F100 onto a Crown Vic chassis. All of the episodes are on YouTube if you search for "Crown Hick". It turned out really cool. Good solid chassis with a classic body.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

The cool thing about using the 03-11CV front suspension is it's simple to work with and parts are easy to find. As for the rear, an 8.8 or 9" would be easy to find for that truck. If the frame is solid and you just want the lower stance a simple way is weld on some coil over shock mounts and bolt on some basic coil overs. Personally I wouldn't do a full CV frame swap. To me that's fine for a rat rod but to me it's like putting a 4x4 frame/susp under a malibu...it just aint right. Is it as solid as it looks?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree. It was a stupid rules change to appease the underwriters for the series.
    Watching it right now.

Going faster now to 1000ft than they ran to the 1/4. Only thing it did was give an additional 320 ft to get slowed down. I didn't care for it at first but have gotten used to it to the point I can't tell any difference. Especially as the ETs have gotten faster

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anymore I enjoy watching/going to a PDRA race as much or more than an NHRA event.

Edit- pro stock has gotten to the point it's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Unfortunately I think it's a dying class. I used to really enjoy watching pro stock too.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anymore I enjoy watching/going to a PDRA race as much or more than an NHRA event.

Edit- pro stock has gotten to the point it's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Unfortunately I think it's a dying class. I used to really enjoy watching pro stock too.

It was a Chevy Camaro love fest today. I did not watch all the rounds but the ones I did were all Camaro. Kind of sad actually but with all the manipulation of rules packages I am surprised people can field a car.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It was a Chevy Camaro love fest today. I did not watch all the rounds but the ones I did were all Camaro. Kind of sad actually but with all the manipulation of rules packages I am surprised people can field a car.

100% agree. NHRA has jacked with the rules so much they have basically created a camero bodied cookie cutter class. I acknowledge it still has some close racing but basically the cars are all the same with the same engines, spec EFI systems and have created the nascar of drag racing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    100% agree. NHRA has jacked with the rules so much they have basically created a camero bodied cookie cutter class. I acknowledge it still has some close racing but basically the cars are all the same with the same engines, spec EFI systems and have created the nascar of drag racing.

I just can not wrap my head around this whole spec racing. They are taking innovation and ingenuity out of the sport.
    There should be brand compitition. Ford/chrysler/GM and even Toyota if they cared to get in the game.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Again I agree 100%. From everything I can recall every sanctioning body that ends up with spec racing claims it is to "help" teams cut costs and make the racing closer. But it drives people away both fans and people who just want to race. Someone needs to do some serious market research and see what fans want to see and then work with teams to figure out if it is attainable while keeping rules to a minimal to allow creativity and then if a certain combo becomes to dominate adjust the rules. I would love to see Radial vs the World run at a national event for big prize money. They draw huge crowds and many are a youmger generation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom