Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe I have got a deal in place to get the rear clip built and up under my 64.
    Buddy has the shop and the gear. I will be doing most of the welding and help him get it up in the car when the time comes.
    We will cut the 12 bolt down and get it up in there as well. Then I can get serious with the brakes and all of the suspension hardware.
    Hotchkis adjustable arms will hole the 12 bolt in place.

The fast bag air system will be removed from the car. I have a set of coil overs for the rear just not sure what I am doing up front yet.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is why I no longer hunt the swap meets etc.
    People suck.

I have always done my own rear end set ups once I learned how.
    9" Fords are among the easiest to do so it amazes me that people screw them up.
    I would much rather set up a ford than a GM 12 bolt.

Kinda like the old school 3 spd auto trannys; I drug an old C4 around for several years because I wanted to open it up and see what made 'em tick. After I tore into it I decided that I could easily rebuild it myself. I found a vintage Motors manual that outlined the full rebuild, but a couple of specialty tools and did it myself. That particular tranny saw a lot of abuse in my full on autocross only car and I plan on installing it in the new one when I get to that point. The only reason I chose not to rebuild the C6 for the Galaxie is that I was getting tired of working on it and needed a break. Although I've never done a rearend I have done gear boxes when I worked in industrial maintenance but again disgust with doing something over that I had already thought was done got the better of me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kinda like the old school 3 spd auto trannys; I drug an old C4 around for several years because I wanted to open it up and see what made 'em tick. After I tore into it I decided that I could easily rebuild it myself. I found a vintage Motors manual that outlined the full rebuild, but a couple of specialty tools and did it myself. That particular tranny saw a lot of abuse in my full on autocross only car and I plan on installing it in the new one when I get to that point. The only reason I chose not to rebuild the C6 for the Galaxie is that I was getting tired of working on it and needed a break. Although I've never done a rearend I have done gear boxes when I worked in industrial maintenance but again disgust with doing something over that I had already thought was done got the better of me.

In a 9" getting the pinion depth is the critical issue. It may take a couple of stabs at it to get the piece installed correctly. Once that is done the ring gear is cake.
    People just get lazy and do not want to pull the pinion back out and get the bearing off to change the shim stack.

It is nearly the same in any rear end set up. Get the pinion in properly and the rest is gravy.

I have done a few auto's but damn they can be messy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh yeah.....I took a serious look at the transmission. I thought I had acquired a 4L60 overdrive piece.

Turns out it is a 4L60-E and it will require a stand along controller to use it.
    If I wanted to do the controller I would have gotten the stronger 4L80-E damn it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dropped the 9" pumpkin off with Jason over at automotion yesterday morning. He called me about an hour later telling me that whoever "rebuilt" it did such a poor job of it that the gears are trashed even though they had less than 20 miles on them. In my possession anyway. I'm done with "good deals" unless I have an address and phone number so I can track the seller down later if necessary to return the part to the correct bodily orifice as needed.

I guess I'm getting naïve in my old age but I do remember when a persons word actually meant something. . . . . .

That sucks! The sad part is a "good deal" is rarely ever really a good deal when buying used parts. Been bit in the butt too many times. It might take me longer to build but usually I just suck it up and buy new parts. I have had my fill of abused, misused used up parts. There is usually a good reason they are being sold off

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Oh yeah.....I took a serious look at the transmission. I thought I had acquired a 4L60 overdrive piece.

Turns out it is a 4L60-E and it will require a stand along controller to use it.
    If I wanted to do the controller I would have gotten the stronger 4L80-E damn it.

There's too much voodoo involved with automatic transmissions. Here is about what I know about them. Engine spins torque converter, converter spins pump causing a chain reaction of magic crap to happen and the tail shaft spins.

A man has got to know his limitations

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There's too much voodoo involved with automatic transmissions. Here is about what I know about them. Engine spins torque converter, converter spins pump causing a chain reaction of magic crap to happen and the tail shaft spins.

A man has got to know his limitations

:lmfao:.....................so much truth here.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm at the point where I need to change the oil in my 383 Blue Print engine.

I have not had a hot rod in several years but I ran Castrol 20/50 in my motors.

Blue Print not to use synthetic until 6000 miles on motor.

BP suggest 10/30 oil in the motor. That seems thin to me for a summer vehicle.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm at the point where I need to change the oil in my 383 Blue Print engine.

I have not had a hot rod in several years but I ran Castrol 20/50 in my motors.

Blue Print not to use synthetic until 6000 miles on motor.

BP suggest 10/30 oil in the motor. That seems thin to me for a summer vehicle.

IF BP built it and suggests a certain oil then I'd go with that oil.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Hey all, just wanted to share my new project bought it today out of Billings MT. and it should be here late Sept to early Oct.

Plans are to do a Crown Vic front suspension and flip the rear axle to lower the whole thing 3-4 inches. No engine or trans in it so I can go with just about anything I want still working on that decision.

I should add, 1964 F100 two wheel drive.

I'm open to suggestions...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hey all, just wanted to share my new project bought it today out of Billings MT. and it should be here late Sept to early Oct.

Plans are to do a Crown Vic front suspension and flip the rear axle to lower the whole thing 3-4 inches. No engine or trans in it so I can go with just about anything I want still working on that decision.

Whatever power plant you chose, stick to a Ford please. A nice warmed over 351W (with 2 turbos) should suffice.

Nice find!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

I should add, 1964 F100 two wheel drive.

Ok, so you plan to lower it's stance.. What do you really plan to do with it? Mostly just a cruiser or are you going to make that truck work? What rear end is under it? Oh and you gotta keep a Ford engine in that thing. Don't let it be a crossdresser

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom