Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can get the Jegs option for what you are doing. 2300 on the flash is good for you. It might be a bit higher for you as you most likely have stock gearing but you would really have to lean on it.

The B&M is most likely the better of the 2 offerings.

Get a good trans cooler.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    We are looking at a street car. Not trying to hit the strip. I figure if i mess up install on the jegs i can try it again and still be under the cost of the b and m!

Jegs is a reputable company and has been around about as long as me and the Mouse in one form or another.
    Nothing to putting in the converter. All you need to is keep spinning it clockwise with one hand while holding it up and putting inward pressure on the Convertor UNTIL the pump shaft goes to the second ridge in the converter. Easy as cake.
    Once you have the converter lined up then bolt a wrench to the tranny housing that holds the converter in place. That way you can move it around without worrying about the converter slipping off the input shaft alignment pump.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just gotta get it �� <- not sure what the ?'s are, supposed to say "get it running" . Im scrolling through jegs. These prices arent bad. Its almost concerning if the old saying " get what you pay for" applies.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bm...MI0OKshIPV1QIVhYp-Ch2y7gH7EAQYASABEgJkqfD_BwE

One is twice the price. Says its rated for anout 6000 higher BTU. But how hot is thing going to get??

B&M 70266K2: Universal SuperCooler Kit GM TH400 | JEGS

70264 should be just fine. More is usually better but you're not trying to make 500 hp and go balls to the wall like you're the get away driver.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just gotta get it �� <- not sure what the ?'s are, supposed to say "get it running" . Im scrolling through jegs. These prices arent bad. Its almost concerning if the old saying " get what you pay for" applies.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/bm...MI0OKshIPV1QIVhYp-Ch2y7gH7EAQYASABEgJkqfD_BwE

One is twice the price. Says its rated for anout 6000 higher BTU. But how hot is thing going to get??

B&M 70266K2: Universal SuperCooler Kit GM TH400 | JEGS

You just need an external cooler. You are not building the space shuttle. The cheaper one will fill your needs.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm not typically a superstitious person but I'm beginning to believe that my galaxie is cursed or at least experiencing some type of "groundhog day" event as I continue to do everything multiple times on it with the same result; something's broke! I picked up the rebuilt (again) pumpkin from Jason over at Elite next to Automotion Friday afternoon and spent Saturday morning putting it in, adjusting the bm shifter and a couple of other minor issues.

I took the car out to make sure the tranny was shifting properly and there weren't any weird noises emanating from it or the rearend and came back satisfied that perhaps those two troublemakers were now behind me. I did a quick little burnout in the shop just because I could and shut it down. I had been a little concerned with the noise level from the valvetrain but comp cams assured me it was normal.

In spite of their assurance I had decided to check the clearance on all of the pushrods as the 390 has a non adjustable valve train. In doing my little burnout in the shop the rear of the car had shifted to the left about a foot so I started the car to move it back over to give me more room around it as I went thru the task of checking the pushrods. Upon starting it there was a very loud lifter based noise suddenly and almost immediately it sounded as if something had impacted the valve cover so I shut it off immediately and started pulling the valve covers.

Everything looked good except one lifter that I was able to compress by pushing down on the rocker arm with one finger. Not good but it wasn't at speed or under load so a collapsed lifter so no big deal right??

i2IKC3W.jpg

I still haven't located the rest of it, presumably in the pan. I can't see any cam damage but without pulling the cam it's a crap shoot and the odds aren't in the shooters favor.

****!!

It's official, cam is trashed!:xmad:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Harry nailed it. It is exactly as I described it to you.

Also, You-Tube is your friend.

One other small detail regardless of what converter you pick. Before you slip it into the transmission pour in a quart of trans fluid. You don't want it dry on start up. At least that is what all the transmission guys I have known have always told me

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Is the block alright? I've seen exploded motors destroy a lifter chute.

On preliminary inspection it appears to be o.k., other than contacting Comp I'm stepping away from this nightmare for a little while as it's starting to get to me get to me! Fortunately this all happened at idle and was shutdown within seconds of the grenade going off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On preliminary inspection it appears to be o.k., other than contacting Comp I'm stepping away from this nightmare for a little while as it's starting to get to me get to me! Fortunately this all happened at idle and was shutdown within seconds of the grenade going off.

When we were at the last race the Camaro ran before we sold it my son was getting the car warmed up for the 1st round and I heard a noise that sounded like someone opened a shot shell and dumped the BB's down the carb. Never heard anything like that before. He shut it down right away.
    I pulled the engine (impossible to pull those iron big block heads over the fenders) and found the Valve seat on #6 intake was "GONE"

This was a 1st for us. The seat un-assed itself from the head and was disintegrated causing the crazy noise as the pieces went down the header.
    Had it furnace welded and re-machined with an over sized seat. Pinned the seat. Completely checked the engine and no damage beyond some ping marks on #6 piston. Put it together and back in the car.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So I ordered the dash panel insert to hold the six piece Autometer gauge set from Classic Dash.

I placed the order a week ago and expected it to come in by this past Friday. I called them Friday to check on the order during my time sitting on the I-75 parking lot in KY. Yea sat for a total of 1.5 hours on the interstate due to two different accidents.

I told the guy that I was checking on my order since I never received a confirmation of my order via email. After about 10 minutes on hold (I had the time to kill sitting on I-75) he asked if I ordered from jegs or summit. I told him no I ordered it from you.
    He said he would call me back.

15 minutes later he called (I was still sitting in the same spot or maybe 50 ft further north) and said the dash panel would be to me this next Thursday. He said for some reason it's taking 10 business days to get to me from NV.

I told old him I wasn't happy about the two weeks to get a part that I paid $25 sipping for. I think the order was never put in the system and only got entered last Friday.

I am gathering up led lights, autometer led dimmer, switches and all parts to make the installation as smooth as possible.

Time is running if I'm taking it to the Fall Rod run Sept 7-9 in Pigeon Forge.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom