Not open for further replies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Wow. This show is full of stuff I didn't know. Never knew that the Dodge brother were the engineering power for Ford. Chrysler got his start at GM.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Ford fell way short with that engine. do the math. What is it a 283 or close. They run. They live. They are a hoot with the right Mods.

OK my calculator says 285.66 CI

Freaking mouse motor. No pun intended.

Edit....correction....4.6 L = 280.71 CI

The only reservation I have about that generation of F-body is the rear end. Total glass.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only reservation I have about that generation of F-body is the rear end. Total glass.

That is the standard 7.5 ring and pinion yes.
    I have ran those in 3 cars with zero issues and you know how we run our stuff. My son beat all 3 of them relentlessly with zero issues.
    Truth in this I changed out the carriers and gears but ran the axles. If you are going to upgrade anyway no worries.

These are not something to feed a steady diet of racing slicks and a prepared race track.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have ran those in 3 cars with zero issues and you know how we run our stuff. My son beat all 3 of them relentlessly with zero issues.
    Truth in this I changed out the carriers and gears but ran the axles. If you are going to upgrade anyway no worries.

These are not something to feed a steady diet of racing slicks and a prepared race track.

Yeah that was kinda my thought. No clutch dumps with slicks on a track.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

For those with dreams of power...

Video: Plymouth Belvedere Has Catastrophic Rearend Failure!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Somebody is a poorer welder than I am!:nailbite:

About 10 years ago I was working in a shop building a 10 sec car. I started with a firewall, part of a floor pan, and a pair of riveted on 1/4 panels.
    I got it pretty much welded together, frame went together very nicely, and when I started welding in the rear end the welder wasn't sounding right and I couldn't get a good bead flow on the rear end housing.
    I pulled down the welder, cleaned contacts, made sure I had a good gas flow, and put it back together to try again.
    I still couldn't get the welder to take hold and burn in good.
    I brought it up to the owner of the shop and he had his son weld it up. I had refused to weld the rear end in place until the welder was repaired or replaced. No Go on a new welder.
    I was done with the car at that point. The son finished it up.
    515 CID motor running decent.
    First launch the welds broke loose destroying the back half of the car. It was a lot worse than the Belvedere in the video.
    The next day the owner called me up, ordered me a new Hobart welder, and had me re-do the car. I had it back together and finished in a few weeks. It's still intact. I saw it this week.
    Lesson to be learned.... There are no safety shortcuts and no shortcuts on quality workmanship when it comes to power and speed. It's easy enough to get killed when everything goes right. It's a very good probability of getting killed when things are halfassed.
    Yea, I'm called a dick for only doing things my way when I put a car together. I've got 50+ years of building muscle cars to fall back on and I'll only do what I think is right, safe, and fast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    About 10 years ago I was working in a shop building a 10 sec car. I started with a firewall, part of a floor pan, and a pair of riveted on 1/4 panels.
    I got it pretty much welded together, frame went together very nicely, and when I started welding in the rear end the welder wasn't sounding right and I couldn't get a good bead flow on the rear end housing.
    I pulled down the welder, cleaned contacts, made sure I had a good gas flow, and put it back together to try again.
    I still couldn't get the welder to take hold and burn in good.
    I brought it up to the owner of the shop and he had his son weld it up. I had refused to weld the rear end in place until the welder was repaired or replaced. No Go on a new welder.
    I was done with the car at that point. The son finished it up.
    515 CID motor running decent.
    First launch the welds broke loose destroying the back half of the car. It was a lot worse than the Belvedere in the video.
    The next day the owner called me up, ordered me a new Hobart welder, and had me re-do the car. I had it back together and finished in a few weeks. It's still intact. I saw it this week.
    Lesson to be learned.... There are no safety shortcuts and no shortcuts on quality workmanship when it comes to power and speed. It's easy enough to get killed when everything goes right. It's a very good probability of getting killed when things are halfassed.
    Yea, I'm called a dick for only doing things my way when I put a car together. I've got 50+ years of building muscle cars to fall back on and I'll only do what I think is right, safe, and fast.

Was this car a yellow chevy.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Going to stop and see the tranny guy today. I need to get the drive train done so I can get back on the car.

I'm going just the opposite direction. This year is a bust for me. I hadn't planned on doing anything at all with the car.
    INGO got the juices flowing and now I'm starting over. Heck, that's half the fun of the whole deal if you throw out the headaches, money, and frustrations when everything doesn't go right.
    Good Luck with the cars guys. I'd love to see some pics when you're making good progress. I never say "done" cause it's never "done".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, at that price point it should have air, cruise, bar, etc!

Yup^^^^^

I stopped by the shop in automotion today and met that young man. Good people.

I need to figure out what I am doing with this trans situation. I spoke with a fella named Bob that Justin referred me to. Man that guy has a head full of transmission info. He will do the work when I get the right box.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom