• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Dropping the block rods and pistons off at the machine shop this morning. Yay! I was so glad to hear Kevin’s voice on the phone yesterday.

It's helpful when you have a trusted vendor with a good rep you can use. I've often lamented the closing of a favorite shop or the loss of a local resource for various things that forced me into the unknown. I

was forced to go to an unknown machine shop one time and had a specific timeline in mind. The guy calls me 2 days before I needed the truck the engine came from to tow 1600 miles roundtrip to tell me there was a problem. I went down to look at it and he had found a crack at a freeze plug and said I'd need a different block. Needless to say I didn't have my tow vehicle when needed. The sad part is that he had completely machined the block including cam bearings and he wanted me to pay for his loss:n00b: I reminded him that block inspection should have taken place as soon as the block came out of the vat and didn't pay for it.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    yeah, well I got some good news? He doesn't think it needs bored. The pistons that were in it are flat top Mahle's with -6cc of valve relief dish. Even had brass freeze plugs. He's going to tear into it next week and let me know. But he thinks with the heads I have, the pistons, new rings and a quick hone would make this a great motor. That definitely would be cheaper on the old wallet. What is even nicer it means that down the road when it needs rebuilt again the block is good to go.

We'll see.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    yeah, well I got some good news? He doesn't think it needs bored. The pistons that were in it are flat top Mahle's with -6cc of valve relief dish. Even had brass freeze plugs. He's going to tear into it next week and let me know. But he thinks with the heads I have, the pistons, new rings and a quick hone would make this a great motor. That definitely would be cheaper on the old wallet. What is even nicer it means that down the road when it needs rebuilt again the block is good to go.

We'll see.

That’s awesome! :rockwoot:

Looking back I kind’ve wish I would have left the engine that I bought intact. It was soooo clean when we opened it up. Heads and cam and let it eat. Would’ve saved a lot of time and money. Oh well. I’ll enjoy the extra cubes.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    the motor in the truck now is so weak and tired, even a stock TBI engine would have felt strong. But this was given to me with the knowledge that there was some bottom end noise. So we're getting it refreshed.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That’s awesome! :rockwoot:

Looking back I kind’ve wish I would have left the engine that I bought intact. It was soooo clean when we opened it up. Heads and cam and let it eat. Would’ve saved a lot of time and money. Oh well. I’ll enjoy the extra cubes.

You think that now because it's warm and you just want to get out and lay down some rubber. Reality is you will forget those thoughts when the new engine is making power planting your ass in the seat and burning up the asphalt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Low compression..perfect? Sounds like an old man talking. :stickpoke:

He's young he knows more HP is a good thing

Well played Booming Poultry well played sir....:):

I tried to get him to buy a sniper plate system. If we can twist an honest 390/410 HP from the mighty Mouse motor another 150 on command would be a serious hoot..Alas... he opted for cast pistons. It is a budget build after all.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well played Booming Poultry well played sir....:):

I tried to get him to buy a sniper plate system. If we can twist an honest 390/410 HP from the mighty Mouse motor another 150 on command would be a serious hoot..Alas... he opted for cast pistons. It is a budget build after all.

Say it aint so. Cast pistons? What is he building a lawn mower engine? I get it budget street car, I really do. I guess I just never know what the future will hold and the need for more ponies always makes me want the best rotating assembly I can get just in case I need a little more with the push of a button. Although budget internals are a good way to keep reality in check and keep the snowball effect to a minimum

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Say it aint so. Cast pistons? What is he building a lawn mower engine? I get it budget street car, I really do. I guess I just never know what the future will hold and the need for more ponies always makes me want the best rotating assembly I can get just in case I need a little more with the push of a button. Although budget internals are a good way to keep reality in check and keep the snowball effect to a minimum

It was a count your penny's decision. I am sure they are swinging on the rods by now or very close. They are checking the rods for round.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Mainly this.

If I ever build a go-fast engine, it will be a real-deal, no-nonsense engine. Big block or boosted LS.

Having said that, I’ll have right in the neighborhood of $3k in the entire engine and trans combo. Not bad for 400hp/450+tq. My exhaustive research tells me the Ventura weighs around 3200 with no driver. That with the 3.90 gears and the 275 drag radials should be all kinds of oomph from 3000 - 5500 rpm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom