• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Gonna drive the Venti tomorrow morning to breakfast. Forecast says like 20 degrees and snow. Should be fun. What’s the over/under on how long it will take to get it started?
    Get it running, hold 2500 rpm for about 30 secs. Should be fine then. That carb and intake set up isn’t gonna like the cold. It will be snotty. I’ve got a factory manifold for you, add a properly set up q-jet and all your problems will be solved. ;)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Alright, so here’s an engine theory question for ya. Is it better to obtain your desired compression ratio by way of domed pistons or by having a smaller combustion chamber? Or does it really matter? Is one better for low-rpm and the other better for high-rpm?

Example #1: 76cc head with a 6cc dome with a 10.98:1 CR
    Example #2: 64cc Head with a 6cc dish with a 10.96:1 CR

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'll be curious to hear the more knowledgeable on this. My guess is, it's just cheaper to mill the heads than replace the cans. A thousand ways to skin a cat.

Good Question CP!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can achieve static CR many ways. Trim the heads...deck the block...play with chambers etc.

The advantage of an "Open" chamber head is solid performance all they way to the top of the cams ability to feed the engine. The larger "Open" cambers will do this.

While the smaller chambers allow high static CR numbers they do tend to fall off towards the top of the power band in their ability to feed the beast.
    They come on hard and fast.

Both ways work but how you will drive the thing is the key.

My stroker has true flat tops in it. The heads are the small chamber world (Merlin) offerings. When I rebuilt the engine after a few seasons of it running in my buddys car I squared up everything cause thats how we roll. Set deck height and took just a bit off the heads. This put the chambers at 62cc's. With the cometic gasket the static CR is 11.2 to 1. Higher than my target for this engine. I will have to run a mix of racing fuel and pump.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    CM makes good points here. The big key is how it will actually be driven. Our deal has __cc chamber "wedge" heads and flat top pistons with minor valve reliefs it has @ 14.5:1cr. She brings the power in and just keeps making steam up to 7700rpm then it starts to gradually fall off ( very slightly) up to 8000rpm. We won't push her any harder than 8k. Now here is another important thing to keep in mind. Regardless what pistons you run when you open the box..finish them. Smooth out any sharp machined edges around valve reliefs or domes. Those edges can craleate hot spots and can lead to detonation and hurt parts. Especially if you run a power adder.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Seems like I’ve heard a smaller chamber promotes better mixture of the fuel and air, but yeah I can see the bigger chamber being better up in the higher rev range.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom