Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seems like I’ve heard a smaller chamber promotes better mixture of the fuel and air, but yeah I can see the bigger chamber being better up in the higher rev range.

No sir. The "Open" chamber head will do this better as you will have a larger un-shrouded area around the intake valve. I have actually seen this on an engine dyno.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM makes good points here. The big key is how it will actually be driven. Our deal has __cc chamber "wedge" heads and flat top pistons with minor valve reliefs it has @ 14.5:1cr. She brings the power in and just keeps making steam up to 7700rpm then it starts to gradually fall off ( very slightly) up to 8000rpm. We won't push her any harder than 8k. Now here is another important thing to keep in mind. Regardless what pistons you run when you open the box..finish them. Smooth out any sharp machined edges around valve reliefs or domes. Those edges can craleate hot spots and can lead to detonation and hurt parts. Especially if you run a power adder.

I can not remember what the chambers measured in the BB Camaro but we struggled getting enough piston to get 13 to 1 in it. But, as I stated my mentor/dyno guy showed me the advantages (non-power adder) of the open chamber heads.
    When we got that engine done and in the car Dyno guy called me and said he found the pistons I wanted but to little to late. I was looking for 14+ in our combo.
    I kept the shift points down around 6,800 launch around 4K on a standard Bracket Sunday. If it got hot and we were looking for a number we would swap in some steeper chips.
    Good guys and other meets we set her free 4800/5000 and shifted it 7500/7800 depending. Cam made smoke to 82 if we wanted. Only ran it there a couple times.
    Past making a symphony of insanity engine sound (needed a smoke sfter and I do not smoke...:):) it did not really pick it up.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Went to PRI sHow. Quick tip: if you’re poor don’t go. I brought home lots of product catalogs

I grabbed a handful of updated catalogs yesterday. Plenty of eye candy for the gearheads that is for sure. The stuff dreams are made of...and most of it thats all I can do is dream about it. Good time though

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can not remember what the chambers measured in the BB Camaro but we struggled getting enough piston to get 13 to 1 in it. But, as I stated my mentor/dyno guy showed me the advantages (non-power adder) of the open chamber heads.
    When we got that engine done and in the car Dyno guy called me and said he found the pistons I wanted but to little to late. I was looking for 14+ in our combo.
    I kept the shift points down around 6,800 launch around 4K on a standard Bracket Sunday. If it got hot and we were looking for a number we would swap in some steeper chips.
    Good guys and other meets we set her free 4800/5000 and shifted it 7500/7800 depending. Cam made smoke to 82 if we wanted. Only ran it there a couple times.
    Past making a symphony of insanity engine sound (needed a smoke sfter and I do not smoke...:):) it did not really pick it up.

What kind of ETs did it run? What did it 60'? And what did it weigh?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What kind of ETs did it run? What did it 60'? And what did it weigh?

2850 wet. no driver. Steel except glass hood and lexan windshield.
    High 1.20's on the 60.
    We never made a bonzi pass at 2850. I put 200lbs on the tail to slow it down closer to legal. 9.90 with the safety gear/roll cage. even at 3050 it would 60 @1.32-ish and clear the 1/8th at 6.0's all day long.
    If I put the 4.30's in it (4.56 for the 1/8th) she would run a solid mid 9. There was more we just did not spend the effort finding it. Running S/P and Pro we did not need to hurt the equipment. pull some launch RPM out of it....lower the shift points and pull a bit of timing and it ran solid mid 6.30's all day long. Still to fast (6.40 legal) bust did it every pass.

Also this was a T-400 car not a glide.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    High 1.20's on the 60.
    We never made a bonzi pass at 2850. I put 200lbs on the tail to slow it down closer to legal. 9.90 with the safety gear/roll cage. even at 3050 it would 60 @1.32-ish and clear the 1/8th at 6.0's all day long.
    If I put the 4.30's in it (4.56 for the 1/8th) she would run a solid mid 9. There was more we just did not spend the effort finding it. Running S/P and Pro we did not need to hurt the equipment. pull some launch RPM out of it....lower the shift points and pull a bit of timing and it ran solid mid 6.30's all day long. Still to fast (6.40 legal) bust did it every pass.

Wow that thing was a beast with plenty of potential for more.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    High 1.20's on the 60.

Sounds fun

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds fun

More than you know. Nothing like Tchickens Ford but a serious hoot.

Set the limiters to burn out and set the line lock....mat the throttle and it will take it all the way up to hi-gear in the box. Let off the lock and bring it out full on john Force. Stage it shallow as possible. Turn the limiters to launch and set the T-brake. Second yellow mat the throttle. Last yellow flickers and off the brake. Loose the track below the hood line for low gear. Car settles just before the noid moves the shifter to 2nd. Arrow straight and hang on. Hi-gear and out the back hopefully at or just under your dial with a bank on the light.

"WINNER"

Or, you cut a :poop: light and get your butt handed to you by just this much.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What a day... Finished what the last owner started. Stripped this door on the ‘56, patched 3 rust holes, epoxy primed and shot with hot rod black. No body work done, ain’t that type of car. :cool:

20p4ft0.jpg

11ru8tf.jpg

i1flec.jpg

Had a break in the middle of my day. Had to help my brother tear the subframe out of his car. It’s getting an engine rebuild or swap this winter.

fngygj.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    More than you know. Nothing like Tchickens Ford but a serious hoot.

Set the limiters to burn out and set the line lock....mat the throttle and it will take it all the way up to hi-gear in the box. Let off the lock and bring it out full on john Force. Stage it shallow as possible. Turn the limiters to launch and set the T-brake. Second yellow mat the throttle. Last yellow flickers and off the brake. Loose the track below the hood line for low gear. Car settles just before the noid moves the shifter to 2nd. Arrow straight and hang on. Hi-gear and out the back hopefully at or just under your dial with a bank on the light.

"WINNER"

Or, you cut a :poop: light and get your butt handed to you by just this much.

Too bad I couldn't smell the tire smoke. Otherwise it was a good run. Lol

Edit- but for the record, I don't want the noid. I prefer to bang it into high gear myself

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What a day... Finished what the last owner started. Stripped this door on the ‘56, patched 3 rust holes, epoxy primed and shot with hot rod black. No body work done, ain’t that type of car. :cool:

20p4ft0.jpg

11ru8tf.jpg

i1flec.jpg

Had a break in the middle of my day. Had to help my brother tear the subframe out of his car. It’s getting an engine rebuild or swap this winter.

fngygj.jpg

Looks like a busy day at the office

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Too bad I couldn't smell the tire smoke. Otherwise it was a good run. Lol

Edit- but for the record, I don't want the noid. I prefer to bang it into high gear myself

When my son took the seat on his 21st "B"-day he wanted the noid unhooked. We have always had 3 peddle cars and he found the noid boring as I did but bracket racing is all about being consistent. You already know.....:)

He drove it like that for a while off the sound of the engine and did ok. Then I re-established the shift light and he did better. Had a summit meeting with him when he was loosing in the quarters due to not being consistent. The noid was back in play and suddenly he was killing it. We did not win every weekend but we went rounds.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom