• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Don't waste your time with a C4. Start looking at either a Powerglide or TH400. The biggest difference would be the TH400 has more gear ratio options. We run a healthy Powerglide with 8 or 10 clutch drum (got 2 glides one has 8 & 1 has 10 can't recall off hand which drum is in which one), straight cut planetaries, with a Coan bolt together super mega converter in our Tbird.

As for my fox body, I have a 12pt cage teamZ mini tubs, AJE Kmember, strange struts with coil over kit, QA1caster/camber plates, QA1 bumpsteer kit, flaming river manual rack, 9"narrowed 2&1/2"(each side) with 35 spline axles & spool, anti roll bar, strange coil overs, 4 link style upper & lower control arms with wish bone, wild rides upper and lower torque boxes with stiffner plates, Aerospace brakes all around, skinny tires up front and 29.5x10.5w's (may end up with 315 drag radials) on 15x12 wheels on the rear, Scott Rod Fab aluminum door panels, package tray, quarter trim, side mirror deletes, cowl panel, fiberglass dash, 10" lower "outlaw" nose, fiberglass hood /deck lid with teamZ 14" strutless wing. Will be running a BBF on spray (small shot) with a 'glide. When it's done it will certify to 8.50 in the 1/4 and shouldn't have any trouble running mid- high 8's. But have a long way to go before it's done

Holy s***, don't mind me as I follow you around and take notes. Running a 460 base motor in it? Carb or EFI? I need to figure out a direction that I'm going. I'm over the suggested limit on my 302 so will have some decisions to make eventually. I prefer to stay EFI and turbo because I have a handle on the tuning. Other than that, I'm an open book.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Holy s***, don't mind me as I follow you around and take notes. Running a 460 base motor in it? Carb or EFI? I need to figure out a direction that I'm going. I'm over the suggested limit on my 302 so will have some decisions to make eventually. I prefer to stay EFI and turbo because I have a handle on the tuning. Other than that, I'm an open book.

No problem, there's a lot of experienced people in this thread.
    Yes, my motor is 460 based. It's actually a Ford Racing block. Basically a little stronger metal content, and screw in freeze plugs. It's the motor we originally had in our Tbird (back in 2004), it's been stroked to 588 c.i. and I'm a little old school so it's carbureted. Honestly it just depends how fast you think you want to go and how much you want to spend. Just remember the faster you go it will eventually reach a point of not being streetable. But depending what you want to do, a good option might be to look into building a 408 windsor.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    But depending what you want to do, a good option might be to look into building a 408 windsor.

This. The 351W based engine is your next logical step. I can’t remember if it’s 71 or 72 but they went to a taller deck height and those motors just soak up stroker kits. Dare I say, better than a SBC. Packaged forged rotating assemblies are everywhere and actually pretty affordable. The 351s from the 90s seem to be pretty desirable as they’re roller motors. A forged 408 on E85 with some big boost would be scary fun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This. The 351W based engine is your next logical step. I can’t remember if it’s 71 or 72 but they went to a taller deck height and those motors just soak up stroker kits. Dare I say, better than a SBC. Packaged forged rotating assemblies are everywhere and actually pretty affordable. The 351s from the 90s seem to be pretty desirable as they’re roller motors. A forged 408 on E85 with some big boost would be scary fun.

Dare you say.....:p

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

If a fella didn't mind apending a few extra bucks, you could build a good "CLEVOR" motor. Use a Windsor block stroked to 404-408c.i., CHI Cleveland heads (Australian made) and water crossover tube and you can make close to 700 hp. Australia manufactured Cleveland motors all the way through 1985. Even into the early 90's most Fords in NASCAR were Aussie cleveland based. Lots of good options out there

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As is normal, the aftermaket fills in the gaps where the OEMs can’t or won’t go. Whether because of lawyers or warranties or whatever.

Yes sir. They primarily intended it be used in heads up class racing like x275 or radial vs the world. You get big cubic inches but also get to benefit from the weight break for running a small block.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I actually picked up a 1996 351 Windsor "roller block" this summer, pan to intake for $200. Only 121k miles on it. Started taking it apart and opened up two small rust holes on the block when scraping crud off of it. Guessing the truck was used as a salt/plow truck. Any who, 351w would be a great swap for me as my fuel injection harness would work with it and could use my current tuning system (MegaSquirt PNP2, speed density) My TrickFlow 170's would be small for it but would work with bolt holes opened up to 1/2". On3 Performance makes a bolt on turbo kit for a 351w in a Fox. Obviously would want some forged goodies inside it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was going to say the same thing. For 70k, I'd expect to see as many pictures as CL would allow and a clean car.

I loved those back in the day. I had a 70 Duster in the mid 70's and I configured the engine after that one as to the 2 dueces. Chrysler had a performance branch and a catalog. I bought the heads and matching manifold for the 340. Did my own carbs and a crane SS series solid lifter camshaft with a set of Hookers. 3K stall, put the fairbanks fit in the 727 trans and 4.88's in the tail.
    Not the fastest street car I ever owned but it held it's own. ran low 12's consistently. Put a pinion snubber on it with 10" slicks and it would bust a high 11.
    I pulled a rod cap off #1 as I drive everything like it is a SBC and sold the remains to a local mopar nut for a solid 340, trans and stock gearand some cash. Put the engine and drive train in the car and sold it. Bought a 69 Camaro.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don’t know how long it’s been around but no-prep seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Yes it is. It really has been a growing trend for a handful of years. It really started taking off since Street Outlaws became popular. Really it's partly about getting back to the street racer roots, except it's done on an unprepped track. 15 years ago the trend was outlaw 10.5, but most of those guys gradually progressed into pro mod and then the trend started turning more toward "true" street cars with limited tire size and then x275 really started to explode.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom