• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah that's the problem with orphans; I briefly considered dropping in a 460

Now you are on the right path. They are a whole lot easier to find parts for, make more power and will hold up to more abuse. Go for it...just park gor a couple weeks yank that pig 390 out of it and start the plan for the 460. That car is begging you for it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Going through some older pics in the computer and found this.
    Not sure what year but the Camaro still had the steel hood and the barn paint job and the Biscayne was still sporting the contingency decals.
    Pic was taken at Terre Haute. Both cars evolved from these examples.

TkuKYkw.jpg

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    I'll try to keep a long story short. My wife bought a 94 wrangler last year that had the 318 swap done before she bought it. I was told it may be a 70's motor. Over the weekend, the fuel pump housing cracked. I quickly discovered that not knowing the year the motor came out of was a disaster. Thankfully, I found a part number on the pump. My question to the auto gods is, how would I ID the engine? Is there a serial number I can look up? Where should I look to find it? I like the simplicity of the old motors, but I am not an auto mechanic by trade. Thanks guys.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'll try to keep a long story short. My wife bought a 94 wrangler last year that had the 318 swap done before she bought it. I was told it may be a 70's motor. Over the weekend, the fuel pump housing cracked. I quickly discovered that not knowing the year the motor came out of was a disaster. Thankfully, I found a part number on the pump. My question to the auto gods is, how would I ID the engine? Is there a serial number I can look up? Where should I look to find it? I like the simplicity of the old motors, but I am not an auto mechanic by trade. Thanks guys.

Mopar Engine Casting Numbers

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anybody have a bare 350 4 bolt block, preferably standard bore for sale? Buddy of mine needs one, let me know, Thanks!!

Nope. Used my last one for the engine on the stand.
    If he is looking for a standard bore he will not find a used block that will pass muster.
    Tell him to look at Merlin blocks. Money and miles ahead of the curve.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    Okay. My fuel pump (Delphi mf0017) arrived today for the jeep. It's my wife's that had the 318 swap. The pump came with two gaskets. Do I use both? Should I use gasket sealer? I know, dumb questions. I don't wanna make a mistake, and have to redo it. Any suggestions?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Okay. My fuel pump (Delphi mf0017) arrived today for the jeep. It's my wife's that had the 318 swap. The pump came with two gaskets. Do I use both? Should I use gasket sealer? I know, dumb questions. I don't wanna make a mistake, and have to redo it. Any suggestions?

Mechanical fuel pump? Unless there are 2 surfaces that need sealed you only need 1 gasket. For the most part anytime gaskets are doubled up it will create a leak.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You only use both if there's a spacer between the block and pump.
    Some early 318s had a vapor lock issue when they warmed up. Pump design was changed to help cure that.
    Later models shouldn't be an issue. Tighten the bolts evenly when you set the pump. Don't break another housing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom