• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah buddy. The 283/glide would be so easy to upgrade. It is a Chevy after all.

Yeah rub it in. . . .

On a positive note we just got the "new" old motor fired up! Sounds strong and no smoke so I just wish I had investigated it further before pulling it out last fall. Would have save some time and about $3K and we'd have gotten to drive it this summer! I did 15 minutes at ~2500-3000 rpm and I'm letting it cool before going out to do it again then will drain the oil and put a new filter on it, top of the radiator and it "should" be sufficient to move on to the next step whatever that may be.

Anyone see any issues running a high mileage synthetic in an old motor? Remember it's all new gaskets, chain and gear, oil pump and lifters. Everything else internal is original but seemed to be in very good condition.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah rub it in. . . .

On a positive note we just got the "new" old motor fired up! Sounds strong and no smoke so I just wish I had investigated it further before pulling it out last fall. Would have save some time and about $3K and we'd have gotten to drive it this summer! I did 15 minutes at ~2500-3000 rpm and I'm letting it cool before going out to do it again then will drain the oil and put a new filter on it, top of the radiator and it "should" be sufficient to move on to the next step whatever that may be.

Anyone see any issues running a high mileage synthetic in an old motor? Remember it's all new gaskets, chain and gear, oil pump and lifters. Everything else internal is original but seemed to be in very good condition.

Rock on with your socks on! I don't see any issues with running high mileage synthetic, just has additives to keep the seals moist & supple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Accidentally ordered two passenger side motor mounts. After the next one comes in, the time will have come. With school and two jobs ive been getting slowed down. But im closer than ever.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Went out and played with the carb and managed to get 18 inches of vacuum out of it so I'm guessing the rings are in decent shape. Damn thing idles so smooth it probably wouldn't even create ripples in a glass of adult beverage if you set it on the air cleaner.:noway:

It'll have to wait until later before it gets any "thump" back though, that dollar bill in my wallet is mighty lonely right now!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Went out and played with the carb and managed to get 18 inches of vacuum out of it so I'm guessing the rings are in decent shape. Damn thing idles so smooth it probably wouldn't even create ripples in a glass of adult beverage if you set it on the air cleaner.:noway:

It'll have to wait until later before it gets any "thump" back though, that dollar bill in my wallet is mighty lonely right now!

Maybe some fall weather cruising is in order for you sir.....:cool:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    21457396_10212222131521513_6694671347465773215_o.jpg

inseem to be missing some pieces here

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    FE - you sir need to gas it up and hit a state highway or some country roads

Drove it around the block (4 1/2 miles out here), doesn't feel or sound right. It's a hydraulic cam that sounds just like solid lifters. Rocker to valve clearance with the plunger compressed is well within spec, oil pressure is about 40 psi warmed up and running. It's just too noisy and after the debacle with the comp cam setup I'm just not convinced all is well in FE land Adjustable rockers would allow me to quiet down the valve train but DAMN that's another $600. Honestly at this point I'm having trouble spending any more money on it.

Prior to the Comp cam lifter exploding I had the valve covers off while running at one point to investigate the running clearance and there was definitely daylight between many of the pushrods and lifters at idle. This is only my second FE motor ever and now that I'm thinking about it the first one didn't end well either although it turned out to be a cracked intake manifold that caused the problems on that engine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Drove it around the block (4 1/2 miles out here), doesn't feel or sound right. It's a hydraulic cam that sounds just like solid lifters. Rocker to valve clearance with the plunger compressed is well within spec, oil pressure is about 40 psi warmed up and running. It's just too noisy and after the debacle with the comp cam setup I'm just not convinced all is well in FE land Adjustable rockers would allow me to quiet down the valve train but DAMN that's another $600. Honestly at this point I'm having trouble spending any more money on it.

Prior to the Comp cam lifter exploding I had the valve covers off while running at one point to investigate the running clearance and there was definitely daylight between many of the pushrods and lifters at idle. This is only my second FE motor ever and now that I'm thinking about it the first one didn't end well either although it turned out to be a cracked intake manifold that caused the problems on that engine.

My lack of FE knowledge will only confuse you. I have no idea.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My lack of FE knowledge will only confuse you. I have no idea.

Yeah that's the problem with orphans; I briefly considered dropping in a 460 just because it is "relatively" modern compared to the 390 and has a healthy aftermarket support network. Looking at various ford forums with info on this problem they all say to check the clearance between lifter and valve. Like I said above that is well within spec but when running it sounds like a sewing machine. They used the FE motors until the late 70's I believe and I know they aren't supposed to sound like that or they'd have never been able to sell them.

Oh well it looks like it's time to take a break from this project for awhile and start winterizing the home front. That'll give me time to research this some more and allow my wallet to relax a little. Besides I've been complaining that I don't have time to work on the race car and I've got a BUTT LOAD of parts for it just waiting for time to install them!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yeah that's the problem with orphans; I briefly considered dropping in a 460 just because it is "relatively" modern compared to the 390 and has a healthy aftermarket support network. Looking at various ford forums with info on this problem they all say to check the clearance between lifter and valve. Like I said above that is well within spec but when running it sounds like a sewing machine. They used the FE motors until the late 70's I believe and I know they aren't supposed to sound like that or they'd have never been able to sell them.

Oh well it looks like it's time to take a break from this project for awhile and start winterizing the home front. That'll give me time to research this some more and allow my wallet to relax a little. Besides I've been complaining that I don't have time to work on the race car and I've got a BUTT LOAD of parts for it just waiting for time to install them!
    http://www.diyford.com/ford-fe-engines-the-complete-history/

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom