• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had bouts of compettiveness. The last one was the Forte. It was a competitive car in a competitive class and I pushed hard. I was 3rd in the region one of the years when I was being serious. Problem is, when I do that I forget to have fun. And honestly there's no point in doing this if you aren't having fun. We sure as hell ain't getting rich doing it. I mean, I drove 11 hours to stand around all day on concrete for a week to have the chance to drive fast for 6 minutes. Most people would just call that insane.

We didn't have racecars, we had tractors and Dad taught me how to do everything myself. Not just cars/trucks/tractors but home stuff too.

I take it you went to nationals?! EXCELLENT!! We had planned to go and at least watch CP but I spent so damned much money on that Galaxie this summer that I felt it prudent to cancel at the last minute. I've spent the last few nights clearing all the boxes of parts out of the racecar, doing an inventory of everything I have and working on the plan to get it running by next spring.

You are right that the pleasure of racing is best demonstrated by nutcases that knock down cones on the weekend 'cause there sure as hell isn't any money in that arena!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's awesome. And I applaud you for recognizing that when you started getting too competitive it started losing the fun aspect. Most people that I have known either quit all together or get so consumed they push everything that's truly important away.
    Dang right we aren't getting rich doing this stuff...but it sure is dang cool.

Friends wills ask..."Are you making any money racing"

I respond....."No, but we sure are spending a lot"

It has to be fun at some level. We went after the track championship and the Wally in both Street and Pro one year. I was on a mission. We won our share of races but missed the bracket finals in both catagorys by "This Much" and it was just a bit. I was beat up tired and realized it had become work.
    The next year I concentrated on getting both cars dialed in so tight we could just relax between rounds in front of the fans and drink Gatorade and tell lies.
    I focused on squeezing every once of performance out of them and backed it off in a controlled manner so if I needed it I could get it real easy.
    Then we started having fun. Practice rounds were for how fast can we go and then dial it to race. It was fun again.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Friends wills ask..."Are you making any money racing"

I respond....."No, but we sure are spending a lot"

It has to be fun at some level. We went after the track championship and the Wally in both Street and Pro one year. I was on a mission. We won our share of races but missed the bracket finals in both catagorys by "This Much" and it was just a bit. I was beat up tired and realized it had become work.
    The next year I concentrated on getting both cars dialed in so tight we could just relax between rounds in front of the fans and drink Gatorade and tell lies.
    I focused on squeezing every once of performance out of them and backed it off in a controlled manner so if I needed it I could get it real easy.
    Then we started having fun. Practice rounds were for how fast can we go and then dial it to race. It was fun again.

It can be easy to get wrapped up in the competition aspect and forget to have fun. We are highly competitive but we keep it in check by only racing once a month (generally). And we keep the fun in it by making it a family event. We raced at IRP back at the beginning of July and we had 26 people in our pit area. We can drive 3hrs to Ohio Valley and still have 12-15 people there with us.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Helping a friend tow this thing from illinoise on sunday. 350, m21, and 4:11 gears. He is pretty stoked. Car looks straight.
    in return hes gonna help me out on my ride and hook me up with a set of buckets. Cool stuff

http://i67.tinypic.com/28ip1ds.png

SOME FRIEND YOU ARE!!!!:xmad: Don't you realize. . . .it's a SICKNESS!!!!!!

Looks like he has a good solid base to start with, are all the parts there?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I take it you went to nationals?! EXCELLENT!! We had planned to go and at least watch CP but I spent so damned much money on that Galaxie this summer that I felt it prudent to cancel at the last minute. I've spent the last few nights clearing all the boxes of parts out of the racecar, doing an inventory of everything I have and working on the plan to get it running by next spring.

You are right that the pleasure of racing is best demonstrated by nutcases that knock down cones on the weekend 'cause there sure as hell isn't any money in that arena!

Not this year. '12-14 and last year. Buying the truck,driving gong it home and sinking another couple grand into it really killed the budget this year. Maybe next year. But I have an offer to codrive for One Lap. Bucket list item there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It can be easy to get wrapped up in the competition aspect and forget to have fun. We are highly competitive but we keep it in check by only racing once a month (generally). And we keep the fun in it by making it a family event. We raced at IRP back at the beginning of July and we had 26 people in our pit area. We can drive 3hrs to Ohio Valley and still have 12-15 people there with us.

It was a family/friends thing with us as well. Sometimes to many friends. They loved hanging around and bugging me.
    The Good Guys was a real treat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Major suckage?

When you go to get a replacement have all your credentials including Birth Certificate. I carry the wallet version.
    Also if the car is plated and current take the registration and insurance info. You never know what they will ask for.
    Once I had to produce proof of address past my D.L. as in a bill to the listed address. Just be prepared.
    We live in the age of deception and scammers. The DMV try's to keep your info straight.

Having bought/sold a lot of cars and not being the best at record keeping I have mislaid a title or three along the way.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    When you go to get a replacement have all your credentials including Birth Certificate. I carry the wallet version.
    Also if the car is plated and current take the registration and insurance info. You never know what they will ask for.
    Once I had to produce proof of address past my D.L. as in a bill to the listed address. Just be prepared.
    We live in the age of deception and scammers. The DMV try's to keep your info straight.

Having bought/sold a lot of cars and not being the best at record keeping I have mislaid a title or three along the way.

What about buying a no title car

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I had the title to my project car unsigned in the dash of my daily. Car got stolen title got lost. It took me about 6 months to straighten it out. Was an out of state title. After the experience and the time, i would no longer touch an untitled car unless it was one of those have to have its. I think i got lucky as well.. it couldve taken longer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom