• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harry1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    South Bend
    It might have been the 10 that I was looking at. The brackets should be the same or close. PM me your address and we will get you some rail out in the mail.

Hi sailor, harry here, Larry and I get together once a week to see what kind of trouble we can get into. Please let Larry or myself know where we can send it and we will send you a rail. we have 20x20 mm you might have to cut the length but we'd be glad to help if we can.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hi sailor, harry here, Larry and I get together once a week to see what kind of trouble we can get into. Please let Larry or myself know where we can send it and we will send you a rail. we have 20x20 mm you might have to cut the length but we'd be glad to help if we can.

I'll echo Harry's remark, Just yell and we will get you some metal in the mail.

FWIW he is a retired electrical engineer, and a fellow ham radio operator and avid homebrewer of all things electrical and mechanical. I come from a RF & communications back ground and some experience with industrial machine repair and when we get the chance to do anything or when we can combine any of it, well.... hide the check books and soldering irons! lol We have been hanging out once a week for about 15 years or so. Sometimes we fix stuff sometimes we build stuff.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the offer, I think I am going to try printing a few triangles as supports first because I need the practice on CAD, and it does not get much simpler than that.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I totally understand, NP. Learning cad is the second most fun part! Building the machine is the first part!

I made some more changes today. I framed the left side of the machine out a bit farther. It's pretty much ready to enclose now, but I am nearly out of T nuts and low on corner brackets too. I designed and printed another really nice graphics display case only to promptly change the way I am going to mount it. Oh well. Maybe Harry Can use it. My cable and connectors came in for the display cables. I made longer ones that should work nicely.

I have a game plan for the front door I am going to draw up the hinges and probably print them yet tonight. I am probably going to cut the side panels tomorrow. I need to make a trip to Radio Shack tomorrow and look at panel switches for the power.

I will post some more pictures soon. And I am going to order some black PETG tonight. I will use your settings as a starting point. I will let you know how it goes when it comes in. I should be enclosed shortly, hopefully that helps with ABS, PETG...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    One solution I am working on with Petg is multiple process steps when slicing. First 10 layers for example print all my support at 100% infil then switch to 30% for the remainder. That should give the support pillars more surface area to contact.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One solution I am working on with Petg is multiple process steps when slicing. First 10 layers for example print all my support at 100% infil then switch to 30% for the remainder. That should give the support pillars more surface area to contact.

I am going to revisit this message shortly, I have it ordered. I should be here first part of next week. I will let you know how the print goes. I will no doubt have some questions.

I worked some more on the ideal of enclosing it. I ran out of T nuts :( And I am running low on corner brackets too. More are on order. I am going to have to box the back out a little and the front a littlebit too. I did play with making and designing hinges. I came up with these:

And they look like this:

I am pretty close to boxing it in. I just need some T-nuts and to cut the panels I have. It will be boxed in some time next week with some luck.

I tinkered around an printed a name badge for it. The other night but recent changes have changed the location. Not to sure where to hang it, or maybe print another one to fit in a different location.

My son played around with Tinkercad and drew this up. He printed it without using support. I said no way that's gonna print, well the old man was wrong. It sagged a few strands on the runs at the top but printed pretty well on my machine without a print cooler! It never dropped a single strand! It doesn't look to bad either!!

While I am on hold waiting for T-nuts and such I am going to get serious about a print cooler of some kind. I will post what I figure out. And if you want the STL's (if they work that is) you are welcome to it.

We have been having a lot of fun tinkering with this thing. I haven't watched much TV since I started building it. So that's not all bad. I am liking the way it is turning out. Everything is over kill on the frame. I tried to take the best of the different printers I saw and then I tried combined them in to one. So far it has surpassed my expectations In a few weeks it should be ready to go.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Nice, I will have to have temporary front and back panels as my frame is not large enough nor is my bench large enough for a larger enclosure.

Going to try this for cooling
    2017-02-24_0930.png

And, printed some dipole center connectors for a buddy.

2017-02-24_0934.png

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am at the bmv. When i get home i will print one. If i have the same issue maybe i can modify the file for us.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I played with that mount design a bit. I added some more material to support the fan better. I think silicon adhesive would be the way to fix the two together. It would not take much.

I emailed you the STL. I am working on a different mount that would attach to the extruder stepper motor. If that works out I will share it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    hi temp rtv may be the way to go lol.
    I'v no idea what you guys are doing...

I'm set on the pegasus 12"... JUST A MATTER OF TIME AND MONEY oops caps lock

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    hi temp rtv may be the way to go lol.
    I'v no idea what you guys are doing...

I'm set on the pegasus 12"... JUST A MATTER OF TIME AND MONEY oops caps lock

This area isn't hot enough to worry about high temp stuff but it would not hurt. The Pegasus is a great machine Robby, You will love it! A good carpenter square is the key to having the fewest issues. Harry's machine has run flawless since we powered it up the first time. It's a fun build.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Photobucket is being an ass this AM, so I am trying up loading direct to the forum;

radial fan test mount.jpg

That is a rough ideal of how it will be mounted,There will be 2 screws. There is just one at the moment. The mount can be rotated up, down, sideways. This is a rough first draft. I did this one from scratch. I have another one on the drawing board that I like better. I also can change the bracket on the motor to reach the mounting hole on the fan! It might just work out. I thing I have the snap over ball size right and the ball on the mount will be a bit more stout too.

When I am done I will print it in ABS once I am happy with the design. It looks promising. I might even share it on Thingiverse. And you are welcome to the STL either way.

It's late, I will tinker with it some more later today.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Looks great Larry, good place to mount that. I am using the hole on my carriage that my 2nd extruder is supposed to go on.

And I realized I did not solder enough extra fan wire on.

Here is the overhang, bridging test results. 20 to 70 degree overhangs and 1, 1.5 and 2 inch bridges.

One problem I had was that after bridging the fan would turn off an not return to the non bridging fan speed. So some of the overhangs drooped.

Also at 100% the fan was blowing the bridging strands down and away, so that setting is too high. Still a 2 inch bridge with 4 droops is not too bad.

2017-02-25_0732.png

2017-02-25_0733.png

2017-02-25_0737.png

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My attempt at keeping warping under control, large brim around the object, and supports printing at 100% infil for awhile then reverting to a lower 30%

Did not work on lower I just started, printer is not enclosed though. ABS. Trying again.

2017-02-25_1059.png

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I need to print the nozzle next. Then wire the fan. It's pretty close to being done.

Now that I have a cooler I can reprint it just a but different. The next mount will have screw holds for the fan to mount. I need to trim a little off the motor bracket. The bracket doesn't fit tight as I want it to. But this will do for now.

Hopefully my T-nuts and corner brackets will be in Monday or so. I a am having fun designing brackets and such. It's been a fun project and I have learned a lot.

When I get the fan mounted I will play with the over hang tests,

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm up because of $$$.

But you're up late

I am a night owl. Always have been. I get more work done after everyone is asleep. My wife worked nights. I got in this routine many nany years ago. Old habits are hard to break lol. I hope everything is well over your way. I will be hitting the sack shortly.

Top Bottom