• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My goal is to be there at least on Saturday.

Came across a close out offer for the CnC Rostack Max V2 kit @ $400 off the original price this week and have been forcing myself to not revisit the listing....that would just be soo stupid.

My offspring looked at me with questioning eyes back in December when I added the Select Mini; maybe as justification that has been my recent go to printer if size isn't an issue and it's results are still impressive for only being a $200 printer.

View attachment 52897

If it gets the job done, what the heck. Save the $$. The only reason I am building #2 is just to have something to do. I am a tinkerer. It's also a good father some project. It's to cold to work on the lathe and mill in the shop, although there will be some parts that need to be made out there.

I have been playing with ABS and I can't print anything very big without the edge (at least one if not 2) starting to curl. I played with printers tape and it worked the best. But still having an issue. I am sure it is because of uneven cooling. I need to get this thing in a box. But I have a few more things to do. PLA prints great.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    how hot do these beds get? Slathering with acetone and abs? I have much to learn...

is there a more simpler "Buy this, add that" with final product build instructions somewheres? Cuz I'm kinda lost trying to follow all the mods going on to make these work as intended

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    It just makes a thin coating of melted ABS on the bed. It will dry during the print so it doesn't really matter. Give it a shot - removing it will become the hard part.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    how hot do these beds get? Slathering with acetone and abs? I have much to learn...

is there a more simpler "Buy this, add that" with final product build instructions somewheres? Cuz I'm kinda lost trying to follow all the mods going on to make these work as intended

The bed runs between 0 and 110c or so. Not enough to light the acetone on fire. PLA is a breeze to print with. When I move my printer away from the back door that the dog likes to go in and out all the time I would not have as many issues with ABS. I really need to put it in a case so it is in a temperature control environment.

You would do well with one Robby.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It just makes a thin coating of melted ABS on the bed. It will dry during the print so it doesn't really matter. Give it a shot - removing it will become the hard part.

I will try it. I can get it off with more acetone, np. I will do it outside or in the garage. Thanks for the tip. I have a quart of it somewhere around here. I will find it.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Sure, sometimes I'll just take the base of a failed abs print, pour a little acetone on the bed, and rub the old print where the new print base will be. You don't have to cover where you are not printing.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Hatchbox PLA less than 22 bucks on Amazon, I got a roll of this silver and a blue one. 2020 cable covers, this silver is really cool. It is shinier in person. And this IPA is great.

2017-02-02_2215.png

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You would do well with one Robby.

Except I have no idea where to start... honestly, I don't even know what kit to buy... I saw pegasus somewhere... followed by multiple posts on upgrading motherboard, relays, and printing bits to make it betterer
    Hence why I titled it 'unofficial 3d printer'

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Except I have no idea where to start... honestly, I don't even know what kit to buy... I saw pegasus somewhere... followed by multiple posts on upgrading motherboard, relays, and printing bits to make it betterer

You got my ##. you can call me anytime and I would be glad to go over things with you. The Makerfarm kits are great. The Pegasus series has the all metal frame so they print with less "Jitter" in the print because it's much more solid. The i3v like I have is a great little printer. I am going overboard upgrading because I like to tinker. It will print about anything the average hobbyist would want. It's 8x8x8 but in reality it's more like 6x6x6.

There are a ton of Prusa clone's. The acrylic framed ones are a few hundred bucks. I opt'ed to go with the Makerfarm for the support and the Quality. it was 500 for the basic kit. It has a wooden frame and extruded rails for the axis's. It is much more solid then the acrylic framed. I added some upgrades to my order. It's a solid kit. And a fun build. knowing what I know know, I would have bought the 12 inch Pegasus

Some must are you want a 1.75mm extruder/ hot end. Extruded rails beat the linear rails (thingk sliding rods) the extruded rails will allow you to print faster. Cheaper kits use rods. The E3d hot end is probably the best all around print head.

Give me a yell or ask questions here, one of us will be able to answer your questions. You need one!

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hatchbox PLA less than 22 bucks on Amazon, I got a roll of this silver and a blue one. 2020 cable covers, this silver is really cool. It is shinier in person. And this IPA is great.

2017-02-02_2215.png

What an awesome print! I have to get some of that stuff. I got a few more rolls of PLA, colors my boy wanted. And another roll of ABS to play with.

I just check shipping status and a bunch of stuff will be here for #2 tomorrow!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Nice, post up your progress.

I can recommend the Makerfarm Pegasus kit. I am a retard and figured out how to put it together. Colin answered all my questions promptly. Questions that someone with a technical background would not be asking.

Buy a bigger print bed than you think you will want.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

You could also just want a ready to go out of the box kit for a reasonable price. That way you can play around and see if its something you like amd want to put more time and money into. Then you could upgrage that printer or start another new build. I have a Monoprice Maker Select V2 and paid 279 for it. For the money its an excellent printer.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Monoprice 13860 Maker Select 3d Printer V2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018GZBC3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PfkLybXDX71ZT

Price went up but here it is if you are interested.

It does have a 3.5 star rating but reading the reviews a lot of that is due to people giving it 1 star who clearly dont know what they are doing. Instead of learning how to print they blame the printer. Even on the ready to go models you have to tweek settings to print successfully. A lot of these folks thought they could just hit print and a new BMW would appear.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Monoprice 13860 Maker Select 3d Printer V2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018GZBC3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PfkLybXDX71ZT

Price went up but here it is if you are interested.

It does have a 3.5 star rating but reading the reviews a lot of that is due to people giving it 1 star who clearly dont know what they are doing. Instead of learning how to print they blame the printer. Even on the ready to go models you have to tweek settings to print successfully. A lot of these folks thought they could just hit print and a new BMW would appear.

The price for that printer is actually less on Monoprice's website and while they're currently waiting on the next shipment (couple weeks out), that is usually a sign with them that you'll receive the latest firmware upgrades.

If the day ever arrives that you feel adventurous enough to build a printer, here's a guide to constructing one from a coffee maker. https://blog.hackster.io/a-delta-3d-printer-built-out-of-a-coffee-maker-787687f609cc#.5zg537qr1

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Nice, post up your progress.

I can recommend the Makerfarm Pegasus kit. I am a retard and figured out how to put it together. Colin answered all my questions promptly. Questions that someone with a technical background would not be asking.

Buy a bigger print bed than you think you will want.

So true on the print head. And I have put one of them together, you are a lot smarter then you give yourself credit for!! That kit is no small feat.

The price for that printer is actually less on Monoprice's website and while they're currently waiting on the next shipment (couple weeks out), that is usually a sign with them that you'll receive the latest firmware upgrades.
    19 minutes loading software and bam! you would be printing with that thing. It would be the easy way to get going right off the bat.

I have been chatting with Robby for years, he has given me the impression he could build a kit. I think it would be a great father son project for him. The neat thing about building your own is you will know every nut and bolt when you are done. So replacing worn parts and doing upgrades would be much easier.

You would get lots of help in this thread if you go the roll your own route. Plus there are a lot of 3d printer forums with tons of info too.

I got a big pile of parts in the mail today. Controller board, a ton of extruded rail, 5mm T nuts, drive belts, roller hardware, & more. The next box will be Monday. That will have the extruder, hot end, delrin wheels, spacers and eccentrics for the wheels, The drive rods for the Z axis (they are bad ass BTW, pics coming soon!) The steppers, corner brackets and power supply will be in by the end of next week. As soon as the corner brackets and braces come in I can start building.

I will post some pictures later.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Have they got the bed htr terminals sorted out on the Maker Select Melzi board? Last I knew the forums were still suggesting an add-on MOSFET circuit to relieve current draw due to meltdown at the connections.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Have they got the bed htr terminals sorted out on the Maker Select Melzi board? Last I knew the forums were still suggesting an add-on MOSFET circuit to relieve current draw due to meltdown at the connections.

I just looked that up. Holy cow! I sure hope so.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I finally got around to making a cover for the power switch. I drew up a simple cover in 123d and printed it:

It's basically a hollow box with wings to mount to the board the AC switch is mounted to. The stuff in the middle is just filler and comes out pretty easy with a pair of needle nose pliers.

So this dangerous thing gets covered.

And now looks like this:

And I moved it from where it was to the living room for the moment:

Then there is this mess. The beginning of the next project. Let the fun begin!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dekumadoriya24
    Top Bottom