• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Getting a couple hundred pounds of enriched uranium is a stumbling block. Chemical/biological is much easier to do

Yes, but since biological/chemical is easier to do, "why" haven't these weapons been employed by Iran, against Israel? If people hold the belief that SHTF, when Iran gets the bomb, what is their reasoning for them not using other; cheaper, easier, and quite devastating alternatives?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Yes, but since biological/chemical is easier to do, "why" haven't these weapons been employed by Iran, against Israel? If people hold the belief that SHTF, when Iran gets the bomb, what is their reasoning for them not using other; cheaper, easier, and quite devastating alternatives?

Ask the Syrian rebels

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ask the Syrian rebels

You're talking about an internal conflict. History, recent history, has shown that govts have no issue employing these weapons internally. Nor against state actors of similar military strength. However none that I can think of, have ever done so, against a militarily superior nation. One would assume fear of retaliation is what stays their hand.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One would assume fear of retaliation is what stays their hand.

I think that's right - remember when we called that Mutually Assured Destruction?

I don't think that Iran, when they have nukes, will conduct the first test over Tel Aviv. But, as long as they remain a fundamentally extremist government, they would be opportunistic. I can envision a scenario where international resolve to support Israel is weakened, so the fear of retaliation by a nation other than Israel is lessened. Without fear of reprisal, they might detonate some "tactical" nukes to prevent direct nuclear retaliation by Israel, then just wait out the international whining.

Alternatively, they have no problem using surrogates. They could pass a suitcase nuke to a group with plausible deniability, then let the radioactive chips fall where they may.

I remain convinced that allowing Iran to have nukes is a bad idea. But, that if it happens, it won't immediately mean nuclear war.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Ill stop short of saying it's impossible, but it is an extremely remote possibility that somebody is going sneak enough radioactive material on a plane, and use that as the delivery system. They DO check for that. Nevertheless, Iran, again, has not proven itself to be irrational in its dealing on the world stage. They certainly aren't nearly in same realm as the nutcases in North Korea, who I will remind, actually does have the bomb, and an extreme hatred for Japan.
    I think you underestimate the rationality of Iran in its dealings "on the world stage," since nobody has kicked their asses since the '88 war with Iraq - in which both sides used chemical weapons, by the way. With the variety of delivery means outlined by myself and other INGOers upthread, the "symbolic" use of a nuke to destroy an American city might very well be accomplished with a survivable degree of "deniability," especially if the delivery means is not evident. And I don't agree that the leadership of Iran is to any degree more sane than the leadership of North Korea.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think you underestimate the rationality of Iran in its dealings "on the world stage," since nobody has kicked their asses since the '88 war with Iraq - in which both sides used chemical weapons, by the way. With the variety of delivery means outlined by myself and other INGOers upthread, the "symbolic" use of a nuke to destroy an American city might very well be accomplished with a survivable degree of "deniability," especially if the delivery means is not evident. And I don't agree that the leadership of Iran is to any degree more sane than the leadership of North Korea.

That what was asserted by United States, but never proven... there's no dates, places, or even bodies to support our nation's claim. Whereas there were 10s of thousands of Iranian casualties. Not that it makes a difference. What we DO know, is that Iraq deployed them first. So even if Iran responded in kind (even though it's believed they did not even have any), they would be justified.

Iran is much more rational that N. Korea. North Korea routinely sinks vessels, bombards S. Korean islands, and has a nasty habit of shooting rockets over Japan. Iran hasn't anything nearly as provocative.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Iran is much more rational that N. Korea. North Korea routinely sinks vessels, bombards S. Korean islands, and has a nasty habit of shooting rockets over Japan. Iran hasn't anything nearly as provocative.

NK is nuts

iran is deceitful and deliberate

oh crap Kut, I'm agreeing with you again

I'm gonna need blood pressure meds

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    That what was asserted by United States, but never proven... there's no dates, places, or even bodies to support our nation's claim. Whereas there were 10s of thousands of Iranian casualties. Not that it makes a difference. What we DO know, is that Iraq deployed them first. So even if Iran responded in kind (even though it's believed they did not even have any), they would be justified. Iran is much more rational that N. Korea. North Korea routinely sinks vessels, bombards S. Korean islands, and has a nasty habit of shooting rockets over Japan. Iran hasn't anything nearly as provocative.
    After doing a bit of research, I'll have to agree that it doesn't seem like Iran used chemical weapons in their war with Iraq. And, a bit off-topic, I thought it was interesting to note that while the US was accused of providing Iraq with their chemical weapons capabilities for that war, according to Global Security.org, which has a fairly detailed synopsis of the conflict, both sides seemed to fight the war primarily with Soviet weaponry, which leads me to opine that it wasn't the US which supplied chemical weapons to the Iraqis, after all. (Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)) On the other hand, Iran has been providing the IED-makings, military assistance, and military training which has been used to kill US and allied troops in Iraq and Afghanistan for years. I recall reading about at least one or two instances where Iranian Revolutionary Guard units were captured in Iraq by allied units. The Iranian terrorist off-shoots, HAMAS and HEZBOLLAH have been killing Americans and other westerners for years as well. It's only been since the whackos at ISIS decided they needed to "out-crazy" their Iranian enemies that ISIS has gotten the bad-boy rep. The Iranian leadership wouldn't mind initiating The Apocalypse if it would lead to their desired end; that makes them as crazy as the Norks, in my book.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    After doing a bit of research, I'll have to agree that it doesn't seem like Iran used chemical weapons in their war with Iraq. And, a bit off-topic, I thought it was interesting to note that while the US was accused of providing Iraq with their chemical weapons capabilities for that war, according to Global Security.org, which has a fairly detailed synopsis of the conflict, both sides seemed to fight the war primarily with Soviet weaponry, which leads me to opine that it wasn't the US which supplied chemical weapons to the Iraqis, after all. (Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)) On the other hand, Iran has been providing the IED-makings, military assistance, and military training which has been used to kill US and allied troops in Iraq and Afghanistan for years. I recall reading about at least one or two instances where Iranian Revolutionary Guard units were captured in Iraq by allied units. The Iranian terrorist off-shoots, HAMAS and HEZBOLLAH have been killing Americans and other westerners for years as well. It's only been since the whackos at ISIS decided they needed to "out-crazy" their Iranian enemies that ISIS has gotten the bad-boy rep. The Iranian leadership wouldn't mind initiating The Apocalypse if it would lead to their desired end; that makes them as crazy as the Norks, in my book.
    kind of agree
    but I don't equate religious fanatics (Iran)

with bats%}t crazy North Korea

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    I don't think they are trying very hard or just don't think about it.
    i worked with atomic munition that we transpoted I. Two 55 gal. drums that did 15 kt. And assembled in place, Iran is flying daily into Venesuela (no TSA)
    mexico is a short flight, pay a coyote. Easy to transport into US.

even easier, pick a "martyr" fly him to an Ebola country and get him infected (shouldn't be hard to do with government support) fly him to NY by way of a Mideast country we don't consider a threat. Have him walk around Times Square and sneeze, spit, and smear mucus on every surface or person he can until discovered and/or dies.

Doesnt have ate to be very effective, the panic would do more damage.

their problem is that they don't have the nuke to transport and the "martyr for Islam" would most likely get off the plane, wuss out, and run to the hospital for treatment

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I am starting to think the whole "Iranian situation" is just more Washington smoke and mirrors. If Iran wanted nukes there are plenty of other countries that would sell them. They don't need to "invent" a thermonuclear device. And they can certainly afford all they want.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom