• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Ahhh, hmm, what? Can we take this to a vote?

A perfect storm brews in the Middle East

Here's why Congress & Netanyahu have been cut out of Iran negotiations

B9-cejlIQAEqb-7.png:large

"Have no fear for atomic energy,
    'Cause none of them can stop the time.
    How long shall they kill our prophets,
    While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
    Some say it's just a part of it:
    We've got to fulfil de book." - Mr Bob Marley in Redemption Song

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It is not really that simple.

If the US walks out, we effectively abdicate enforcement of a deal and Iran gets their nukes on their terms. From Iran's perspective, a US walkout is a win.

Edit:
    Sorry, that opening line was too terse. I didn't mean it the way it sounded.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The thing that really gravels my a** is that if negotiations fail and action needs to be taken all the people who will benefit most from it will be there to hold our coat for us (except Israel)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    President Obama's deal guarantees Iran will have a nuclear weapon in no more than 13 years. This also guarantees a major war in the Middle East within that time frame. Israel's hand is now forced into action. This is a very sad day for our world.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm waiting to see the specifics of the deal. But I'm cautiously optimistic. The deal generally seems alright.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All of Iran's goals in Iran Deal have been met, Iranian President Rouhani says

Hassan Rouhani declared that his nation's "prayers have come true." Funny that America is supposed to think this was something different?

Reuters: Conventional arms embargo sunsets in 5 years; ballistic missiles in 8. How one justifies that I have no idea.

Knew I should have invested in Vault-Tec stock when it was cheap.

CJ32TB3UAAE3coG.png:large

Even the ARMS embargo goes away. Hormuz will be bristling with carrier-sinking Russian/Chinese cruise missiles in 5, 4, 3...

1. New market for billions in arms exports
    2. New arms choke off West's energy supply
    3. Europe must remove missile defense

Russia wins too.

Edit: This is just wonderful.

CJ3qym0WwAAMn_x.jpg:large

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Unfortunately, this will also lead to a nuclear arms race in the region. No reason for Saudi Arabia and others to not go for such weapons now that a belligerent neighbor is.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm waiting to see the specifics of the deal. But I'm cautiously optimistic. The deal generally seems alright.

Popcorn while waiting for elaboration. :)

For Iran, this is a Path to Superpowerdom. For the US, there is a fine line between courageous and suicidal - especially in foreign policy.

Frankly, this makes the next POTUS election even more important. Yet, foreign policy never gets the attention it deserves in domestic elections.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    BBC breakdown of the deal.
    Will Iran nuclear deal make the Middle East a less safe place? - BBC News

But in large parts of the Middle East, where the prospect of a stronger Iran is viewed with dread, there was never any real sense of suspense.
    Israel, Saudi Arabia and the other states who feel threatened by the terms of the new deal have been resigned for months to the idea that the US-led world powers were determined to have an agreement and were prepared to offer major concessions to get one.

Sceptics around the Middle East fear that the US-led negotiators in Vienna were no match for the negotiating skills of the Iranians.
    The result, they say, is an Iran which has engineered a kind of rehabilitation into the international community without being asked to compromise on its self-image as a revisionist power in the Middle East, an exporter of revolution.

Iran's enemies remain of the view that the Iranians are hell-bent on acquiring nuclear weapons at some point and have merely agreed to a delay in return for a variety of short-term concessions.
    There is a danger now that Saudi Arabia will feel that a nuclear-capable Shia state must be matched by a nuclear capability in the hands of the Sunni states too.

Top Bottom