• Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Per DNR Email

DNR to recommend new deer rules to NRC

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources has unveiled a new package of recommended changes to deer hunting rules that will be presented to the Natural Resources Commission at its Jan. 11 meeting at Fort Harrison State Park in Indianapolis.

The recommendations were developed after the NRC withdrew its preliminary approval of an earlier plan because overwhelming public comment opposed shortening some segments of the deer hunting seasons. DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife staff biologists believe the proposed multiple shorter seasons in the earlier plan, some for antlerless deer only, would have contributed to the goal of reducing deer numbers by placing greater emphasis on hunting of antlerless deer.

“The new proposal has the same objective – to focus deer herd reduction in a strategically-targeted manner to more adequately balance ecological, recreational and economic needs of the citizens of Indiana,” said Mark Reiter, director of the DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife. “Our responsibility is to manage wildlife for all Hoosiers. Some pointed to the previous proposal as an effort to manage the herd for trophy animals or increase license revenue. That was not the case.”

The new recommendations maintain the focus but leave the firearms and muzzleloader seasons at their traditional 16-day lengths and drop a proposed two-day October season.

“This new proposal was created by staff within the DNR, using historic data gathered for deer management in Indiana, feedback from comments received during the initial proposal, and data from surrounding states,” said Mitch Marcus, wildlife section chief for the Division of Fish and Wildlife. “We can’t emphasize enough that the goal is to reduce deer numbers in a strategic manner; not everywhere, but certainly in areas of the state where it’s needed to address the balance we’re trying to achieve.”

Three key points of the new recommendation are carryovers from the previous proposal:

--Adding a special antlerless only firearms season from Dec. 26 through the first Sunday in January of the following year in counties with a bonus antlerless quota of four or more deer;

--Extending the urban zone season through Jan. 31 of the following year;

--Requiring hunters hunting in an urban zone during the urban zone season to take at least one antlerless deer before taking an antlered deer.

New components include:

--Changing the current split archery season to a single season from Oct. 1 through the first Sunday in January;

--Allowing a crossbow to be used by any hunter during the archery season and establishes a special crossbow license;

--Adding two new licenses (a crossbow license for use in the archery season, and an urban zone license) and offering a license bundle at a reduced price that would allow one antlered deer and two antlerless deer to be taken during the special youth, archery, firearms, muzzleloader and special antlerless seasons combined.

The full text of the recommended rules package can be found in the January meeting agenda on the NRC website (NRC: Meetings & Minutes). Additional information from the DNR is available on the Division of Fish and Wildlife web pages at www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/ (click on the “Rule/Regulation Changes” link in the left column).

"The Division of Fish and Wildlife recognizes that modifying regulations is only part of a larger effort that must be addressed,” said Gary Langell, private lands program manager for the Division of Fish and Wildlife. “Simply changing regulations will not achieve our objective.

“Although we continue to depend on deer hunters to help us manage our deer herd, we also believe that landowners will need to be more actively involved in providing hunter access and encouraging more intensive antlerless harvest on their properties. Likewise, urban communities will need to recognize the importance of balanced, regulated deer management."

If the NRC grants preliminary adoption at its Jan. 11 meeting, it would be only the fifth step in a 34-step checklist that can take as much as a year to complete.

A vote for preliminary adoption would be followed by a public comment period overseen by the NRC Division of Hearings. The recommended rule changes and a convenient online comment link would be posted at (NRC: Current Rule Proposals). The NRC also would accept written comments mailed to Division of Hearings, Indiana Government Center North, 100 North Senate Avenue, Room N501, Indianapolis, IN, 46204-2200.

State law sets a minimum period for receiving public comments, and the period may be extended by the NRC hearing officer assigned to the topic. The hearing officer also presides over at least one public hearing and prepares a report for the NRC to use in its consideration of final adoption of the proposed rule changes.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    So I am not the versed in cartridge length...does the max length from 1.6 to 1.8 allow addl calibers into the mix?

This is from the hunting indiana forum....

.460 S&W, .50 Beowulf & .450 Bushmaster are the only additional 'factory' calibers that I am aware of that it will open up.

Last edited:

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I think they should do what they were designed to do. Reduce the population in areas that need it. I'm happy with the new proposals.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    So I am not the versed in cartridge length...does the max length from 1.6 to 1.8 allow addl calibers into the mix?

This is from the hunting indiana forum....

.460 S&W, .50 Beowulf & .450 Bushmaster are the only additional 'factory' calibers that I am aware of that it will open up.

Not "factory" but the .357 Herret falls in there too.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    Just got the notification in my E-mail......I can live with this a LOT better than the first proposal!
    Waiting to see if it passes. :popcorn:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I like this a lot better.

I'm not quite sure what the urban zone rule means. If the urban season extends to Jan 31, then all seasons fall in urban season? Or is that just if your hunting with an urban license in the urban zone?

BTW, regarding the 1.8" rule, I did a rough calculation some time back... the .358 WSSM has the same case capacity as the .358 Winchester (I have verified this). My numbers say a 1.8" version would have the case capacity of the .35 Whelen.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Are you sure these are the NEW (for 2011) proposals? The link says January 2010 agenda.

Much of it seems to be the same, but i only had a moment or two to scan the info - That's why I am asking - (just a 'double check') ... Thanks

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    curious to see where this goes what does other states do in regards to high powered cal. in know kentucky allows higher loads what is the problem in indiana

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    are landowners even aware of hunters helping farmers i signed up the last two years and didn't receive one offer to hunt to help reduce problem deer

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Are you sure these are the NEW (for 2011) proposals? The link says January 2010 agenda.

Much of it seems to be the same, but i only had a moment or two to scan the info - That's why I am asking - (just a 'double check') ... Thanks

They have a typo..

Yes, these are the new proposals

There are some significant changes from the first proposal

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    These are definetly the new proposals to be discussed at the jan 11 2011 meeting. Looks great to me. More hunting time, possible lower license cost, and additional equipment allowed including crossbows. Looks some of my emails may have payed off. Unfortunately if passed these new rules likely wont be applied until the 2012 or 2013 season. Indiana hunters can be happy with their Natural Resources commision for once.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What happens next?​
    These proposed changes are only that—proposed. They will go before the Natural Resources
    Commission (NRC) on January 11. If they are preliminarily adopted at that time, a public
    comment period will again open up. The comment period will last for several months.
    Comments will be taken by the (NRC) at​
    http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm. The NRC will then

decide whether to fully adopt or reject the current proposal at a later date.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The NRC wont be taking comments until after the preliminary approval this coming Tuesday.

Then it should be at - http://www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm

It is doubly important that we all stick with it and give our input.This is not over by a long shot.

Personally this is way better than before and I will be thanking the DNR and NRC for listening to the hunters in this state and going back to the drawing board. That is unprecedented.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    So, what does the cartridge length proposal really mean? What calibre are they saying will be legal? Dont know enough about lengths to know. Please educate me on this.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Here is all the links I could find.

Administrative Rule (Regulation) Changes

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm

Rule language

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Rule_NRC_Preliminary_Jan_2011.pdf

Commonly asked questions regarding the Deer Proposal

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Proposal_Fact_Sheet_Jan2011.pdf

2010 & 2011 proposed Deer season comparison chart

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-DeerSeasonProposal.pdf

Until the Natural Resources Commission gives preliminary adoption to the proposed rule changes, comments regarding these proposed changes can be sent to the DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife at: dfwinput@dnr.in.gov

Top Bottom