• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Thanks for discrediting yourself on the subject of archery hunting. Now I know to take your opinions with a grain of salt.

It bothers me not what you believe or don't. I know what I can do and what I HAVE done.

I've been in archery for over 44 years and have instructed many a newbie on how to shoot archery.

BTW - There is absolutely nothing "primitive" about today's modern compound.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    1. I will agree with spooking deer SOMEWHAT. You know what I've found in my years of bow hunting? Just when you think the deer is looking at you and your busted, I have drawn the bow back quickly without trying to conceal my movements. The deer have just stood there fixated on what...they don't know, BUT they DIDN'T move. Taken several deer that way. So again IMO no big thing.

2. Dosen't matter what each individual thinks, a crossbow is considered ARCHERY. Besides, if I'm hunting in October with my cross bow, HOW is that effecting you or any other bow hunter? Answer is, it's not. A crossbow really has no more range than a vertical bow, so spooking deer is still a 'problem".

If you really want to go back to what it was, the compound bow should NOT be allowed in archery season. Longbow and recurve only. It just depends on who's making the call, and how far back you want to go to the "true" meaning. This arguement was made when compounds came on the scene, and the same crap came up when inline muzzleloaders became popular. Times change and we all will have to adapt.

As far as what's primitive, uh.... a crossbow goes WAY BACK too.

3. No we all do not have a season to ourselves. During gun season and muzzleloader season we have to put up with all the dang bowhunters. They have 3 months, one month all to themselves, October. A bow isn't a rifle, shotgun, pistol, so why should it be allowed during my firearm season. This was all "tongue in cheek", but you see the argument can come from the "other side" too.

IMO it just comes down to, it's NONE of my business WHAT you or anyone else chooses to hunt with during a given season. I could care less if someone threw rocks at them. (if it was legal)

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Yeah...this bowhunting with a "primitive" compound" is real tough to master..this guy required a whole half hour of instruction. No, I wasn't the "instructor'..

first deer on first hunt
    my cousin (seth) came home with me after school yesterday.he said he wanted to go hunt with me..he had never been bow hunting or shot a bow until about 3:30 yeasterday afternoon.he shot my bow(pse typhoon) for about 30 min.s and could group hit arrows in about a 4inch group at 20 yards so i told him if a spike came out he could shoot at it.well i have my ameristep blind in the edge of a 60 acre wheat field.every time i have been in that blind i see 15+ deer and 10+ within shooting distance.so we loaded up about 4 o clock and took the video camera and tripod and a extra seat(a five gallon bucket)for seth.we got to the blind about 5 and set up the camera and got everything ready.then 3 does came out and ate rite in front of us(i put corn out before we got in the blind at about 15 yards)then 3 more showed up.well they ate for at least 20mins and then started lookin in the brush like something was fixin to come out.then they just meander off down the tree line.i look up and at about 25 yrds a spike is just walkin rite to us. i gave seth the bow as soon as he got the camera and tripod set out of the way. the spike walks rite to us and stands broad side at about 12yrds. seth draws the bow aims and whack he hits the spike it takes off like a striped ass ape and runs about 15yrds stops takes two staggerin steps sideways and falls over DEAD and never gave a twich.well after about five mins he said our 30mins has to be up and then i explained the process of bleeding a deer out no matter how close he falls.(and i wanted to see the bigger buck that i had been trying to kill for about a week)well he shot the spike at about 6 20 less than 2 hours had he spend bow hunting and since it didnt get dark until about 7:15 or so we stayed in the stand about 30 mins after the spike the big buck comes into the field and passes at about 40 yards just a few yards out of range.we he runs does all over the field and then goes to the far side so we crawl out of the tent and film the find of the deer.he shot it with a 100 grain 3 blade muzzy BH and a 5575 gold-tip arrow and about 60# he didnt get a pass through but he hit the deer rite in the white spot under the left leg the arrow came out about half way down his ribs and stuck out about 4 inchs or so when the deer had turn to run he broke my arrow smooth off and almost in half when we got the deer home and guted it i took the heart out and he had cut the bottom of the heart with 2 of the 3 blades opening up both of the bigger chambers of the heart..it was one heck of a shot......one of the best shots i have ever seen(and im not tryin to start the whole double lung VS heart shot debate)it was a good shot and even better recovery.we could see the spot where he had laid down in the weeds about 20 yrds for the blind. it was the greatest hunt i have ever taken anyone on and by far the quickest time from the first time to ever shoot a bow to the time you kill your first buck

Posted on Archery Talk at...

first deer on first hunt

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The IDNR answered the question of crossbows in early archery

Last deer season the Ohio crossbowers killed close to 50,000 deer.

This proposal addresses over population in certain areas.Crossbows will help..

How does crossbows added to all of the archery seasons in all of the state address population in "certain" areas?

Adding crossbows answers the greasing of the palms of government officials by the crossbow industry and crossbow lobbiest who want to pretend they are still archers.

They are crossbows, they are NOT archery. There's no wrong or right of either one until people incapable of using one want to call it something else.

Crossbows are an easier way to kill deer than using a bow and arrow. It's that simple. That's why they have been an option for physically disabled people during archery season in this state for decades. It's why it's being considered so that people incapable of killing deer during archer season with a bow and arrow can use them now.

It's not archery Woody.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Crossbows legal from Oct. 1st through January?? Looks like all of the hard work and practice that tens of thousands of Hoosiers put in becoming proficient with their archery equipment was a waste of time. Now if you can pull a trigger you can hunt in the archery season. The whole reason there is a separate archery season is because hunting with a bow is hard enough without fighting the orange army blasting at every deer within sight. But now there will be a mob pulling a different trigger, but with the same result of running every deer out of the woods. The only reason to have a separate archery season is because archery is hard!
    And before you think I'm a bow purist nut, I am actually a rifle nut. I have hunted Indiana with bows, firearms, and crossbows. If rifle hunting was allowed all season, thats probably all I would hunt with. But the competition of adding crossbow (which are way more similar to hunting with firearms than to bows) defeats the whole purpose of a separate archery season. Whats wrong with just allowing crossbows during the firearms and late archery seasons??

They'll just cut the season in a couple years after expanding the use of crossbows from just the physically handicapped to everyone to pacify the crossbow lobby "willy" represents.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    If someone is using a crossbow during archery season, how is it effecting you? IMO, it's not. So WHY do so many care? If you want to say it's not archery so be it.

It shoots an arrow/bolt and dosen't go BANG, and does not effect YOUR bow hunting experience, why care? Besides if they're so bad why do we allow the disabled to shoot them during bow season? Never have heard any complaining about that. What's the difference if the "concern" is the weapon?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    They'll just cut the season in a couple years after expanding the use of crossbows from just the physically handicapped to everyone to pacify the crossbow lobby "willy" represents.

You're assuming everyone will drop their vertical bow and grab a crossbow, that will not happen. HARDCORE bow hunters will NOT stop bow hunting.:yesway:

This is ther EXACT same argument that started when inline muzzleloaders became popular. "They're going to ruin the ML season we fought so hard to get", they're not "real" muzzleloaders, etc... blah, blah. Total load of crap. If it loads from the muzzle.... it a muzzleloader. The powder and projectile does not care HOW is is set off wether from a sidehammer or a striker.

As far as a crossbow, it shoots an arrow/bolt, NOT a bullet so IMO it's an "archery weapon". It is NOT a firearm.:twocents:

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    If someone is using a crossbow during archery season, how is it effecting you?

Firehawk, I understand where you are coming from, and I like the "live and let live" and mind your own business philosophies. I believe there is a difference in this circumstance however. There is a limited number of resources, such as deer and forests, that everybody shares. Bowhunting has a MUCH lower success rate than firearm hunting, so the DNR created a seperate, longer season so that archers could have an opportunity to hunt without the competition of a few hundred thousand gun hunters in the woods.
    I'm not a native Hoosier, I grew up in Oregon. There were many miles of trout streams that became flyfishing only, for the same reason. I didn't whine, I started flyfishing and I love it! I still dunked worms where I could, but it gave me a whole new set of opportunities. There is also a huge zone in Eastern Oregon the is traditional archery only. I never hunted it, but I also never lobbied to change it to a firearm/compound/crossbow zone. I enjoy using my T/C omega with a nikon BDC scope, but I don't think I'm going to pitch a fit and try to get PA to change their flintlock only season so I can use it. When I moved to Indiana 9 years ago, I took up bowhunting in earnest, mostly because it gave me more time in the woods. To me, a person who wants to wipe out any of these types of areas or seasons is being a little selfish and lazy.
    "Hey, thats not fair! How come I can't take out my shotgun during the falconers only season!" Some of these complaints sound a lot like my kids.
    As far as nobody complaining about the disabled crossbow exemption, its like I said: its all about competition. I don't hink there are enough disabled crossbow hunters to make a difference an impact.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Firehawk, I understand where you are coming from, and I like the "live and let live" and mind your own business philosophies. I believe there is a difference in this circumstance however. There is a limited number of resources, such as deer and forests, that everybody shares. Bowhunting has a MUCH lower success rate than firearm hunting, so the DNR created a seperate, longer season so that archers could have an opportunity to hunt without the competition of a few hundred thousand gun hunters in the woods.
    I'm not a native Hoosier, I grew up in Oregon. There were many miles of trout streams that became flyfishing only, for the same reason. I didn't whine, I started flyfishing and I love it! I still dunked worms where I could, but it gave me a whole new set of opportunities. There is also a huge zone in Eastern Oregon the is traditional archery only. I never hunted it, but I also never lobbied to change it to a firearm/compound/crossbow zone. I enjoy using my T/C omega with a nikon BDC scope, but I don't think I'm going to pitch a fit and try to get PA to change their flintlock only season so I can use it. When I moved to Indiana 9 years ago, I took up bowhunting in earnest, mostly because it gave me more time in the woods. To me, a person who wants to wipe out any of these types of areas or seasons is being a little selfish and lazy.
    "Hey, thats not fair! How come I can't take out my shotgun during the falconers only season!" Some of these complaints sound a lot like my kids.

I guess we're pretty much on the same page.:yesway: The exception to the "rule" on archery season for me would be, for instance the kit to transform a Ruger 10/22 to shoot bolts. Have you seen that? It uses .22 blanks to shoot the bolt. THAT is not archery.:noway:

I feel that would destroy the archery season, but IMO the crossbow does not.:twocents: On this one, we'll just have to agree to disagree on crossbows.:D

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Crossbows legal from Oct. 1st through January?? Looks like all of the hard work and practice that tens of thousands of Hoosiers put in becoming proficient with their archery equipment was a waste of time. Now if you can pull a trigger you can hunt in the archery season. The whole reason there is a separate archery season is because hunting with a bow is hard enough without fighting the orange army blasting at every deer within sight. But now there will be a mob pulling a different trigger, but with the same result of running every deer out of the woods. The only reason to have a separate archery season is because archery is hard!
    And before you think I'm a bow purist nut, I am actually a rifle nut. I have hunted Indiana with bows, firearms, and crossbows. If rifle hunting was allowed all season, thats probably all I would hunt with. But the competition of adding crossbow (which are way more similar to hunting with firearms than to bows) defeats the whole purpose of a separate archery season. Whats wrong with just allowing crossbows during the firearms and late archery seasons??
    Have you ever even shot a crossbow. I can tell by your post you have never actually hunted with one. I'm pretty certain you will still be able to enjoy your time in the woods with your hard to master stick and string in hand. You are hunting with a long bow, or recurve bow without sights I assume. You don't seem loke the type that would use a modern, much easier to master 350 fps ,85% let off bow with fiber optic lighted sights, shooting Luminok carbon arrows , over a Ripcord fall away rest, tipped with Rage mechanical broadheads being released by a Scott release, or did you take the easy road while mastering your archery skills??

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    As far as nobody complaining about the disabled crossbow exemption, its like I said: its all about competition. I don't hink there are enough disabled crossbow hunters to make a difference an impact.
    You took up bow hunting because you wanted to spend more time in the woods, yet you want to deny others this same opportunity just because they choose to use a crossbow to do it with. Somethings not right here.

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i wipe my butt with these proposed rule.
    Requires at least 144 square inches of hunter orange material that is visible from
    any direction on a ground blind used while deer hunting during a season when a
    hunter is already required to wear hunter orange.
    Requires hunters to take at least one antlerless deer prior to taking an antlered
    deer in an urban deer zone during the urban deer season.
    Opens the firearms season on designated military reserves and national wildlife
    refuges on October 1 instead of November 1.

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    The intention behind the hunter orange on a blind is because the hunter may have orange, but will be obscured. Frankly, I'd like them to allow the camo-orange for the blinds as if I'm in one, I'd like to NOT be shot because someone doesn't realize I'm in a well-camouflaged blind.

Clearing does from the urban zones makes sense to me from a management view. Fewer does means many fewer deer in coming years and therefore, less conflict with the people. (cars, yard damage, etc).

Don't really have a feeling one way or the other on the refuge change.

Of course, that's my view, based on my, um, couple of weeks tromping around following deer tracks, so feel free to ignore/discount it.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    You took up bow hunting because you wanted to spend more time in the woods, yet you want to deny others this same opportunity
    Wow. Just wow. I want everyone who wants to hunt with a bow to have the same opportunity I have to hunt with a bow. Now if you want to put a stock up to your shoulder, look through a scope, and pull a trigger, thats great-during firearm season. Bow season is for bows. Not a hard concept for most people.

I'm a little familiar with crossbows. I hunted with a crossbow one season because 2 1/2 years ago I took a nasty fall and broke my arm. It was really bad. I already had a trip to Missouri planned and paid for, so I applied for the disabled permit, and borrowed a crossbow from a friend. It was a nice Horton with a matching scope, can't remember the brand. That fall I shot a pheasant (on the ground, not flying), a raccoon, and missed a red fox. It was a lot of fun, even though I never took a deer. But I sure as heck wasn't bow hunting with it!
    If we decide to start firearm season October first and do away with a special bow season, fine. You can make a case for that. Open every season to every weapon. Just don't pretend that you're bowhunting.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville

Some people seem to forget that bowhunters are hunting during gun season, not gun hunters hunting during bow season. If one doesn't agree with that, don't drag your stick and string out during the gun season. Now wasn't that simple?

Uconas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The intention behind the hunter orange on a blind is because the hunter may have orange, but will be obscured. Frankly, I'd like them to allow the camo-orange for the blinds as if I'm in one, I'd like to NOT be shot because someone doesn't realize I'm in a well-camouflaged blind.
    isnt that why they call it a blind, and who in the hell would shoot into a blind. if you hunt in areas that people shoot into a blind then you may want to find a new place to hunt!!

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    isnt that why they call it a blind, and who in the hell would shoot into a blind. if you hunt in areas that people shoot into a blind then you may want to find a new place to hunt!!
    You can't be serious. Most people use camo blinds and hide them pretty well. It would be pretty easy for another hunter not notice you in you ground blind as it being hard to see and take a shot at a deer that comes between you and him, miss the deer and hit you in a blind that the hunter never knew was there because you were concerned about a little orange on your blind. I for one wouldn't feel very safe in the woods during gun season sitting in a well hidden camo blind when the shooting starts without some orange on it. Hell a little orange on your blind is not going to keep you from killing a deer, but it could very well save you ass from being killed. The purpose of this rule is to keep you from becoming a statistic.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I agree. I wouldn't hunt public land in a ground blind during gun season, but if I did, I would sure put some orange on it whether it was a law or not. I would want other hunters to know where I was and hopefully not shoot in that direction. But requiring it on private land?? I don't think that should be a law.

Top Bottom