• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    They still need to knock that price down. Most people I know won't shoot anymore then 1 or 2 just because of the price for tags then on top of that butchering cost. If you don't do it yourself your talkin some pretty big dollars. It's rediculous the cost of doe tags. Lets get that cost down! I'm gonna give them my two cents I know that.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I am not to upset with some of the changes. Some are good. I am not happy about allowing crossbows to be used during early archery. I would also like to know what the cost will be for the bundled license.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Very happy to see the inclusion of crossbows for the entire archery season. Never understood what the big stigma with them is, perhaps lack of knowledge of their capabilities & limitations? Besides, if the DNR is serious about reducing the deer herd this may be a good way to attract more hunters into the woods.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The IDNR answered the question of crossbows in early archery

Why add crossbows to the early archery season?

Crossbows are gaining acceptance in many states. Ohio and Arkansas have recognized crossbows as legal equipment for over 30 years. Other states, such as Virginia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Florida have all expanded or increased crossbow use in the past 10 years. Crossbows should recruit more hunters to hunting in October, allowing them a greater opportunity and more days afield to harvest a deer.

We anticipate that this will result in more antlerless deer being harvested prior to when annual deervehicle accident rates peak.

Last deer season the Ohio crossbowers killed close to 50,000 deer.

This proposal addresses over population in certain areas.Crossbows will help..

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Willie,

Thanks for the update on the rules. I just wanted to be sure that they were new and perhaps a typo had happened. I will have to try to check them all out when I have time tonight ... (I hope) ...

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I read the ground blind regs as I would need to have 144 sq. inches of orange on my ground blind at certain times even though it is on my own property? Hmmm. Not completely opposed to it for public lands as you can't control who is on them but when I am on my own property and in theory controlling hunter access I am not sure I like being told I have to spend more money and time dressing up a blind on all four sides.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Crossbows legal from Oct. 1st through January?? Looks like all of the hard work and practice that tens of thousands of Hoosiers put in becoming proficient with their archery equipment was a waste of time. Now if you can pull a trigger you can hunt in the archery season. The whole reason there is a separate archery season is because hunting with a bow is hard enough without fighting the orange army blasting at every deer within sight. But now there will be a mob pulling a different trigger, but with the same result of running every deer out of the woods. The only reason to have a separate archery season is because archery is hard!
    And before you think I'm a bow purist nut, I am actually a rifle nut. I have hunted Indiana with bows, firearms, and crossbows. If rifle hunting was allowed all season, thats probably all I would hunt with. But the competition of adding crossbow (which are way more similar to hunting with firearms than to bows) defeats the whole purpose of a separate archery season. Whats wrong with just allowing crossbows during the firearms and late archery seasons??

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Noooo..."archery" is not hard. I can take a complete novice, who has never shot a bow before, and have them shooing hunting accuracy in a matter of a couple hours.

IF a person has a decent place to deer hunt, bowhunting itself is not all that hard either - unless one wishes to limit themselves on what they will shoot.

It still boils down to the fact that we are only out there to please one person - ourselves. Some might take an easier way out and hunt with a compound or a crossbow OR they might use a self bow with home made cedar arrows tipped with flint broadheads.That is the beauty of bowhunting in that we can make a choice on limiting ourselves. There is nothing wrong with deciding for OURSELVES what limits WE want to place on OURSELVES. I would NEVER dream of telling another hunter what he/she should use.

It will matter not one wit to one hunter whether the hunter over on the next 40 is hutnuing witha crossbow or an all bells and whistles compound.

One more time - It still boils down to the fact that we are only out there to please one person - ourselves

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    " Last deer season the Ohio crossbowers killed close to 50,000 deer. ".... :noway:

If something like this constantly happens in Indiana, along with the normal kill rates, you will be wondering why the DNR has cut your season lengths. Becarefull what you wish for....

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    " Last deer season the Ohio crossbowers killed close to 50,000 deer. ".... :noway:

If something like this constantly happens in Indiana, along with the normal kill rates, you will be wondering why the DNR has cut your season lengths. Becarefull what you wish for....

Not to worry - Crossbowers in Ohio have the same success percentage as the vertical bowhunters.

Ohio also kills about twice as many deer yearly as we do.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ohio also kills about twice as many deer yearly as we do.

... and an extra 3.25 million acres of land area.

But to answer the question... the new seasons lengths/limits/licenses may only last as long as it takes to get the deer herd where the biologists/insurance companies want it.

ETA... one of the reasons that Indiana produces fewer "trophy" bucks is simply a limitation of land area. The states we are comparing ourselves to (Kansas, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Iowa) have much larger land area, house more deer, and therefore more bucks.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    ... and an extra 3.25 million acres of land area.

But to answer the question... the new seasons lengths/limits/licenses may only last as long as it takes to get the deer herd where the biologists/insurance companies want it.

The ill fated proposal was supposed to be a "5 year trial". I saw nothing in this one that mentioned a 5 year trial.

ETA... one of the reasons that Indiana produces fewer "trophy" bucks is simply a limitation of land area. The states we are comparing ourselves to (Kansas, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Iowa) have much larger land area, house more deer, and therefore more bucks.

Yep... Also the deer originally stocked in Indiana came from Wisconsin, PA and I believe NC. To put our "stock" against these other state's northern gentics is misleading at best.

In over 50 years of deer hunting we have never produced a 200" typical.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I disagree with the crossbow inclusion into the early archery season for selfish, hunter-per-acre reasons. I like the solitude of early archery season, even on public land. Open up the urban zones if it's really to control population. Heck, allow "real" rifles; that'll improve success rates. . .

Like I said, selfish. . .:D

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Crossbows legal from Oct. 1st through January?? Looks like all of the hard work and practice that tens of thousands of Hoosiers put in becoming proficient with their archery equipment was a waste of time. Now if you can pull a trigger you can hunt in the archery season. The whole reason there is a separate archery season is because hunting with a bow is hard enough without fighting the orange army blasting at every deer within sight. But now there will be a mob pulling a different trigger, but with the same result of running every deer out of the woods. The only reason to have a separate archery season is because archery is hard!
    And before you think I'm a bow purist nut, I am actually a rifle nut. I have hunted Indiana with bows, firearms, and crossbows. If rifle hunting was allowed all season, thats probably all I would hunt with. But the competition of adding crossbow (which are way more similar to hunting with firearms than to bows) defeats the whole purpose of a separate archery season. Whats wrong with just allowing crossbows during the firearms and late archery seasons??

What's wrong with them during archery season? Why does ANYONE care what SOMEONE else is using.:dunno:

As someone who hunts with a bow, archery hunting is not really that hard. It's made to sound like it's something "special" only a select few can master. NOTHING is further from the truth. As far as the "mob", what makes bow hunters think they deserve some special treatment like their constant desire to have a season all to themselves. We all would like a season to ourselves. Hunters who choose to hunt only with a bow already have 3 months to hunt, MORE than any other group.

Unless I've drawn back on a deer with my bow and somebody runs in in front of me and shoots that deer with his/her crossbow, why would I or anyone else care WHAT someone elses choice of weapon is?

To respond to the thread, I like the new proposals. It caters to ALL groups, not just a very select few like the last proposals did.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I can take a complete novice, who has never shot a bow before, and have them shooing hunting accuracy in a matter of a couple hours.
    Thanks for discrediting yourself on the subject of archery hunting. Now I know to take your opinions with a grain of salt.
    bowhunting itself is not all that hard either
    Shooting a deer with a bow requires a person to stand, draw a bow back, and hold it until they can shoot, all without being busted. It's that extra movement that makes all of the difference. Going through that much movement without spooking a deer is a challenge.

What's wrong with them during archery season? Why does ANYONE care what SOMEONE else is using.
    That is absolutely true. The problem with it is that the early archery season was created for-you guessed it, archery. Deer are easily spooked, thats why the success rate is much lower for archery than firearm.

archery hunting is not really that hard. It's made to sound like it's something "special" only a select few can master.
    I think pretty much anyone can master it. But it does take practice.

what makes bow hunters think they deserve some special treatment like their constant desire to have a season all to themselves. We all would like a season to ourselves.

Everyone CAN have a season to themselves, thats why all of us started archery hunting! Most states have different seasons for primitive hunts. PA has a season for flintlock muzzleloaders only. Why? Because the success rate for hunting with a flintlock is low, so they give these hunters a chance to try hunting without as much competition. If someone thinks thats not fair, I suggest they take up hunting with a flintlock.
    I like the idea that hunters who choose to hunt with primitive weapons have extra opportunities. Maybe the question is what is primitive? It has been a bow in Indiana. Should we change our definition? Make up your own mind.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Here's my prediction for the crossbow scenario(since that seems to be the main focal point of the post) more wounded deer not being recovered. to me the idea is the hunting itself not the equipment someone CHOOSES. the people i personally know that own crossbows and the people i know that will go out and get a crossbow because they're cool won't put in the time and practice to make accurate, sensible shots. not to say there aren't responsible crossbow hunters. :twocents:

Top Bottom