• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I shall be by to pick up all your grape soda and super soakers later this week. Oh, and I'll drop off of some unsweetened tea and cricket bats

I'm not saying it will be easy. Right now I'm deleting the "Sugar Hill Gang" from my iPod and replacing it with Charlie Daniels.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Thanks much. The actual quote is scary. The headline is accurate. But what he said and meant is iffy.
    “That’s a state law,” he said of the North Carolina law. “And because of our system of government I can’t overturn on my own state laws unless a federal law is passed that prohibits states from doing these things. And with the Congress I currently have that’s not likely to happen.”

Shouldn't her white privilege have protected her? I hear it's pretty cool.

I think her vagina ate her white privilege which is why she stated "white woman". I know I wouldn't want to put anything near it for fear of it being bitten off.

The conservative approach would be to leave it up to the market. Let the places with bathrooms decide how to do it. If people don't like it, they'll shop someplace else.

This is a singularly bad behavior for the law to go anywhere near. Yet, it is an easy fix for the market.

The law does leave it up to the market. Any non govt entity can set their own rules for their bathrooms. This law prohibits local govt from forcing them to set certain rules.

I guess the conclusion is that the only we we can avoid cultural appropriation is to embrace our white privilege.

Done and done.

Could be.

I shall be by to pick up all your grape soda and super soakers later this week. Oh, and I'll drop off of some unsweetened tea and cricket bats

No grape soda here, I think we have some grape cool aid though. And unsweet tea is fine, just bring some lemon with it. And thanks for the super soaker reference, I did not know that. Mr Johnson sounds like a heck of a guy.

Oh and can you make it a decent set of golf clubs instead of the cricket bats?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's an easy one (that's what he or she said):

vw8Mqk9.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Where do you find this stuff? Wait...I don't want to know.

I'll tell you anyway. A friend, rest her soul, showed me that webcomic more years ago than I want to think about. (to give you an idea, the follow-up/sequel ran for a few years, too, and the author was not known for reliability in posting on schedule. The sequel has also been done for about a year now.) The comic ended, but the author/artist left it up. Premise: The redhead is a roommate to the married couple you see in the comic. It's actually not a bad story, and has its funny points, as well as a few not so funny. You can find it at queenofwands dot net.

That particular comic, the ladies wanted to embarrass the blue-haired guy for some unknown reason. They were rather good at that.

Blessings,
    Bill

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The activity surrounding Target's decision is the same sort of free market activity that is used to try to convince places like Kroger that they should ban guns from their stores.
    Whether they're the same or different, I like both, even when I disagree with the people doing the boycotting. I try to put my money where my mouth is.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm just not a big fan of boycotts and mob shaming tactics. Target has a right to make their own bathroom policies. If women don't feel comfortable going to the bathroom with men, target will lose some customers.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm going to have to agree with Lowe on this one. Is it a classy move to make? No, but it's a perfectly valid way of expressing consumer opinions.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm just not a big fan of boycotts and mob shaming tactics. Target has a right to make their own bathroom policies. If women don't feel comfortable going to the bathroom with men, target will lose some customers.

Agreed.

It's hard to be on the same side of an issue with people beating the drum that Target has made things easier for sexual predators.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Agreed.

It's hard to be on the same side of an issue with people beating the drum that Target has made things easier for sexual predators.

It sure seems like it would be more straightforward to simply ban the people/behaviors you dislike such as peeping-toms or sexual predators rather than worry about which bathroom they happen to be doing it in. I really don't want men spying on my junk anymore than women or other/non genders.

On the other hand, I'm not really following the logic of the trans community that tells me they are really a different gender, but won't be comfortable using the bathroom for the gender they claim to be unless there is a law specifically approving of it. If you really are that gender, you should be perfectly comfortable in there. If you are raising eyebrows when you go in there, then perhaps you should rethink this whole thing.

I don't really care to be on the same side as either of these groups, which is why I'm sticking with the people that wash their hands. I can identify with that group.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's my thing. Any business should be able to have whatever policy it wants regarding bathrooms. Govts. shouldn't be telling them they have to accommodate transgendered persons in a specific way, nor should gvts. prevent businesses from having their own policies of accommodation. it is perfectly appropriate, however, for gvts. to make the rules for gvt. bathrooms.

My issue is this- what Target is doing is pandering to an aberrant .3% of the population with hopes of gaining sales from the larger population who want to see themselves as inclusive and "cool". I'm not a fan of company's becoming social justice advocates and not a fan of the normalizing of what is a tiny fraction of people living out their mental illness. Their right, I guess, but my right to shop elsewhere...which I'm not going to make a big deal about on social media. I'm not afraid of peeing next to anyone. depending on what I've eating, it's the others who should be afraid.

When the "progressive" SJWs blatantly manipulate stories, statistics and reporting to make it look like there is widespread violence against the LGBT crowd in order to garner sympathy and turn it into support, that is reprehensible. However, using scare tactics about sexually predatory behavior which went on BEFORE Target did anything and did not involve actual transsexuals, then implying or flat out claiming that transsexual = sexual predator is also reprehensible.

If we're going to have a debate about this, it should at least be based on the truth, not made up violence and not made up predators. The truth is, at .3% of the population, most people not in communities where this lifestyle is prevalent will never see a transsexual. If you do, you will see one or two in your lifetime. In one way, it mystifies me that this has become such a widespread debate. That it would actually affect any of us is of such low probability. Sure, I know why this is going on- the continual march to normalize the abnormal...and the inevitable shrill and cantankerous reaction thereto.

Anyhoo, no answers here, just a call to deal with reality of reality's terms...and the reality is that Target is not offering up young girls to pedophiles any more today that it was a month ago. All that Target is doing is displaying its business strategy that is willing to sacrifice those who hold traditional values for those who want to prove themselves "cool." That's all.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Here's my thing. Any business should be able to have whatever policy it wants regarding bathrooms. Govts. shouldn't be telling them they have to accommodate transgendered persons in a specific way, nor should gvts. prevent businesses from having their own policies of accommodation. it is perfectly appropriate, however, for gvts. to make the rules for gvt. bathrooms.

My issue is this- what Target is doing is pandering to an aberrant .3% of the population with hopes of gaining sales from the larger population who want to see themselves as inclusive and "cool". I'm not a fan of company's becoming social justice advocates and not a fan of the normalizing of what is a tiny fraction of people living out their mental illness. Their right, I guess, but my right to shop elsewhere...which I'm not going to make a big deal about on social media. I'm not afraid of peeing next to anyone. depending on what I've eating, it's the others who should be afraid.

When the "progressive" SJWs blatantly manipulate stories, statistics and reporting to make it look like there is widespread violence against the LGBT crowd in order to garner sympathy and turn it into support, that is reprehensible. However, using scare tactics about sexually predatory behavior which went on BEFORE Target did anything and did not involve actual transsexuals, then implying or flat out claiming that transsexual = sexual predator is also reprehensible.

If we're going to have a debate about this, it should at least be based on the truth, not made up violence and not made up predators. The truth is, at .3% of the population, most people not in communities where this lifestyle is prevalent will never see a transsexual. If you do, you will see one or two in your lifetime. In one way, it mystifies me that this has become such a widespread debate. That it would actually affect any of us is of such low probability. Sure, I know why this is going on- the continual march to normalize the abnormal...and the inevitable shrill and cantankerous reaction thereto.

Anyhoo, no answers here, just a call to deal with reality of reality's terms...and the reality is that Target is not offering up young girls to pedophiles any more today that it was a month ago. All that Target is doing is displaying its business strategy that is willing to sacrifice those who hold traditional values for those who want to prove themselves "cool." That's all.

I agree with all of this. I too think the pervert angle is over played. I support the people opposing Target's policy and their use of the 1st Amendment to do just what other folks did to get Target to ban guns -- shape public and corporate opinion and policies. I tend to believe that if more folks that disagree with the "aberrant 0.3%" but just shut up and go along to get along had made their feelings known as we went down this rabbit hole, we might not be facing the prospect now of forced acceptance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom