Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If someone wants a gay superhero, then make one.
    Stop changing them.

They already know anything they create that fits their desires wouldn't have the same audience. They'd prefer to force their minority identities on things that already have a fanbase. Literally make people care.

If they make one of their own, I'm free to not care about it.

If they co-opt something that's already beloved by millions of people, they force that identity on them.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yes, because the embodiment of 1940's American moral ideals is going to be a homosexual. Makes perfect sense.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They already know anything they create that fits their desires wouldn't have the same audience. They'd prefer to force their minority identities on things that already have a fanbase. Literally make people care.

If they make one of their own, I'm free to not care about it.

If they co-opt something that's already beloved by millions of people, they force that identity on them.

Can someone explain this? Either I'm not following, or GPIA isn't as well versed in comics as he should be to be making that statement.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Can someone explain this? Either I'm not following, or GPIA isn't as well versed in comics as he should be to be making that statement.

I'm not as versed in comics as some are, but I'll try to explain what I think he's saying.

To me, it sounds like "Superman has a worldwide fan base, and is instantly recognizable as who he is. You see that red S on his chest*** and you know it's Kal-El, son of Krypton." Conversely, if a new character is created, as they say, "of whole cloth", s/he won't have that following. So if, for example, we take Bruce the interior decorator and expose him to the magical purple light from the enchanted goatse, then dress him in sequined tights with a fairy wand in his hand, it doesn't matter if he has every single one of Superman's powers, he will not be Superman, and will remain as irrelevant as Bruce was before he picked up the wand.

Alternatively, if the writers at DC decide to write Kal-El as wanting to go over to the Blue Oyster bar for a few dances and drinks and see what happens, everyone who has been a fan of the Superman franchise now has to consider those events as part of the canon story, and those opposed to the idea will be accused of being homophobic, solely because their image of their hero has been fundamentally changed from what it was originally intended to be.

I mean, really... Would anyone accept a heterosexual, masculine Dick Grayson?

Batman_'66_-_Burt_Ward_as_Robin.jpg

(***I hear you, "It's not an "S"!" Yeah, it is, even if the story now says it means "hope". See what I did there?)

Oh. Important internet safety tip: If there is a word in this post that you don't know and think is a typo, it's not. Don't go look it up. Trust me on this one.

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    None of this stupidity, and I mean the **** being pulled by idiotic leftists as depicted in the video available here -- DePaul University In Chaos Over Milo Yiannopoulos Visit | The Daily Caller -- is going to stop until someone pushes people like this off the stage face first or cracks them in the legs, again from behind preferably, with ball bats.

The best they could do was call the cops or start a counter chant? Oh goody...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    None of this stupidity, and I mean the **** being pulled by idiotic leftists as depicted in the video available here -- DePaul University In Chaos Over Milo Yiannopoulos Visit | The Daily Caller -- is going to stop until someone pushes people like this off the stage face first or cracks them in the legs, again from behind preferably, with ball bats.

The best they could do was call the cops or start a counter chant? Oh goody...

Perhaps there are some retired Chicago cops who were around in 1968 who can instruct on how to deal with this idiocy.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Perhaps there are some retired Chicago cops who were around in 1968 who can instruct on how to deal with this idiocy.

Kinda funny, most of my dad's friends were Chicago cops as Miguel hails from Chi-town. The fun stories they told...

PA-12408311.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Two things in this.

One, I can see Kirk twitching already when he reads it, at the use of the phrase, "highly illegal". I'm surprised he isn't already doing so just at that phrase being put to paper. ;) :stickpoke:

Two, good natured teasing aside, the story is told in its entirety by the fact that university officials tried to prevent this speaking engagement from happening, forced the conservative students to pay extra for security, then prevented that security from being used when it was needed. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it would not surprise me if those administrators helped organize the protests, assuring that nothing harmful would befall the protesters. (note that I'm not accusing them without evidence, I'm suggesting the possibility/probability that they were complicit)

The test would be to see what happens if a liberal speaker is engaged to a similar event and the extra security is required, or if protesters arrived to silence the speaker, is such a person also prevented from doing what they came to do.

I suspect that it is not just a homogenously thinking university that they want, for everyone thinking conservatively is also homogenous. I think they just want everyone to feel and not think, and that, my friends, is the province of liberalism. How people feel is more important to them, because while you can easily shape the dialogue and language to guide feelings where you want them to go, facts, logic, and truth are not so easily manipulated.

I think the conservative students should sue for damages, for the speaking fee, the extra security they were not permitted to use, but had to pay for, and the university should be enjoined by a judge's order to pay for him to come back for a free event, to be broadcast to the entire community on campus TV/radio (most universities seem to have something like this in their mass communications departments)

It might be too much to ask that the officials involved also write papers addressing the concepts of the First Amendment, but handwritten letters of apology might be within the purview of the court to order.

Blessings,
    Bill

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Kut....I hope you don't think less of me for this but...Sometimes irony can be a little funny....And that was a little funny and ironic....

Kind of like Grizzly Man...I mean I am sorry Owen Wilson look a like but grizzly bears really don't give a a flying nut how YOU feel about them....Especially in their country...I guess old Grizzly Man skipped over the biology of grizzly bears where it talked about how territorial they are....

[video=youtube;6UMWndnqyFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMWndnqyFE[/video]

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom