Not open for further replies.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I may be wrong but, I must believe that you are not judging all by the actions of some.

Also that Dr. King Jr.'s desire to see blacks become contributing members of society has been derailed by race baiters and politicians.

While I take your meaning, isn't that sort of the same sort of generalization? Look at folks like Colin Powell, Allen West, Ben Carson. Hell, look at the black neighbors on my cul-de-sac. Making a life for themselves and their families; not consumed by hatred and despair and suspicion of their white neighbors. Seems to me that THAT is what MLK was hoping for "his" people - to be TREATED like "people." Yeah, there is a loudly vocal segment of that group that makes normal folks look bad to the rest of us, but, again, the proper thing to do is judge individually - not prejudge widely. (And this coming from a guy who wondered out loud how to tell "good" Muslims from "bad" Muslims.)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    While I take your meaning, isn't that sort of the same sort of generalization? Look at folks like Colin Powell, Allen West, Ben Carson. Hell, look at the black neighbors on my cul-de-sac. Making a life for themselves and their families; not consumed by hatred and despair and suspicion of their white neighbors. Seems to me that THAT is what MLK was hoping for "his" people - to be TREATED like "people." Yeah, there is a loudly vocal segment of that group that makes normal folks look bad to the rest of us, but, again, the proper thing to do is judge individually - not prejudge widely. (And this coming from a guy who wondered out loud how to tell "good" Muslims from "bad" Muslims.)

Red: That is the only way to interact with anyone. I will even go so far as to say, don't rely on first impressions. Even farther, just don't judge at all.

Blue: Vetting! I have nothing against the average muslim however, I have much against our president's current immigration/refugee policy.

Generally, I have, over the years, had many interactions with both blacks and muslims. The vast majority of those were positive and many were enjoyable. I have had a few that I will not report. Many times while visiting for my Church I have enjoyed a meal with folks, of varied races and religions. Yes, if you fffer to feed me I will accept.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    zHgUGii.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thats not insane, it's true. You let the racists hijack the saying. Not to mention, the others arose from belief of white superiority.

Kut, with all due respect, how would you propose that "we" (non-racists, by your statement above) stop "them" from hijacking a phrase?

It's not like the phrase is copyright, nor even if it was, that it being so would stop someone from using it; that only allows punishment for someone doing so.

When I was in high school, a friend of mine (we'll call him Pat, since that was his name) had a hair pick molded in black plastic, the handle of which was shaped like a fist. I came to know that as the symbol of "Black power" (which is not to say that was correct, but it's what I understood) Pat was a very tall young man in appearance, and calm, pleasant, kind, and friendly in manner. He wore that pick in his back pocket, as I recall.

Even back then, race was not really a discussed topic between us, So, I ask the above question differently:How would my friend Pat or others like him, who value "Black power" as being empowering, stop, say, the "New Black Panthers", made infamous by the photos of voter intimidation, from co-opting the phrase to mean the often violent actions and behaviors of those of lesser self-discipline and self-respect.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kut, with all due respect, how would you propose that "we" (non-racists, by your statement above) stop "them" from hijacking a phrase?

It's not like the phrase is copyright, nor even if it was, that it being so would stop someone from using it; that only allows punishment for someone doing so.

When I was in high school, a friend of mine (we'll call him Pat, since that was his name) had a hair pick molded in black plastic, the handle of which was shaped like a fist. I came to know that as the symbol of "Black power" (which is not to say that was correct, but it's what I understood) Pat was a very tall young man in appearance, and calm, pleasant, kind, and friendly in manner. He wore that pick in his back pocket, as I recall.

Even back then, race was not really a discussed topic between us, So, I ask the above question differently:How would my friend Pat or others like him, who value "Black power" as being empowering, stop, say, the "New Black Panthers", made infamous by the photos of voter intimidation, from co-opting the phrase to mean the often violent actions and behaviors of those of lesser self-discipline and self-respect.

Blessings,
    Bill

The Black Power Movement is inextricably linked to the BPP. Despite the differences between them and the NBBP, the later still uses it. However, enough people remember, and have kept original meaning alive, that it is understood that NBBP are abusing original intent. White Power, on the other hand rose from racist origins.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Thats not insane, it's true. You let the racists hijack the saying. Not to mention, the others arose from belief of white superiority.

Oops, us 'uns must be too racist to realize that.

But I'm glad you didn't let any of your BLM brotha's and sista's besmirch that fine belief system. :rolleyes:

(and if you can't see how ludicrous this is I don't know what more to say :facepalm: )

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Oops, us 'uns must be too racist to realize that.

But I'm glad you didn't let any of your BLM brotha's and sista's besmirch that fine belief system. :rolleyes:

(and if you can't see how ludicrous this is I don't know what more to say :facepalm: )

Obviously

Kut (Thinks it's good to recognize your flaws, lol)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The Black Power Movement is inextricably linked to the BPP. Despite the differences between them and the NBBP, the later still uses it. However, enough people remember, and have kept original meaning alive, that it is understood that NBBP are abusing original intent. White Power, on the other hand rose from racist origins.
    I have no knowledge of "Black Power" as a movement, per se. For that matter, it might have just been a comb that Pat thought looked cool. I know I did. I may have confused matters earlier when I quoted ther term. Be that as it may, you didn't answer my question: How does one prevent another group from hijacking terminology?

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Nice double-standard there.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Hubris. What is it?

Cjdt_iHWsAA-ZWn.jpg:large

THAT, my good man, is a healthy dose of "stick it up your butts, 'Liberals" sarcasm. And, so what if I don't approve of Milo's lifestyle and choices? I'm not his mommy or his God (if he has one). On the battlefield of "freedom of speech" vs "politically-correct tyranny" you takes your allies where you finds 'em.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

If "Black Pride" was a response to the perceived racism of certain (but not all ) whites, and is considered "legitimate", why wouldn't "White Pride" as a response to the perceived racism of certain (but not all ) blacks, be considered as "legitimate" as any other sort of ethnic "pride"?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom