A timeless classic

xyoSDPA.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If it were actually possible to hire women to do the exact, same job as men for 77% the cost, why would anyone ever hire a man?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If it were actually possible to hire women to do the exact, same job as men for 77% the cost, why would anyone ever hire a man?
    As it should be. Why wouldn't we want a sexist to overpay for labor by 23%? Let he who improperly discriminated bear the cost.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

As it should be. Why wouldn't we want a sexist to overpay for labor by 23%? Let he who improperly discriminated bear the cost.

While I agree with this sentiment, to be fair, the actual complaint is that discrimination and prejudice can cause the perception that women or some minorities can't do the same job. Maybe that happens in some occupations, but in my 35 years working in engineering and technical fields, I've not come across that perception for women. They are competent engineers, coders, managers, analysts and so on. If women are willing to do the same job for 77% less pay, I can't see an employer ever hiring men.

I have come across that perception for some minorities and that is unfortunate. And of late I've encountered that perception for millennials and some of that is earned.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you get time, listen to the podcast above. Long story short, women are not making less for the same jobs. Women work different kinds of jobs and make career choices that cause income differences. There are numerous factors, but simply paying a woman less for the same job is virtually non-existent.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    While I agree with this sentiment, to be fair, the actual complaint is that discrimination and prejudice can cause the perception that women or some minorities can't do the same job. Maybe that happens in some occupations, but in my 35 years working in engineering and technical fields, I've not come across that perception for women. They are competent engineers, coders, managers, analysts and so on. If women are willing to do the same job for 77% less pay, I can't see an employer ever hiring men.

I have come across that perception for some minorities and that is unfortunate. And of late I've encountered that perception for millennials and some of that is earned.

To be fair, I have worked at places that had the perception that women couldn't do the job. They were willing to let them try, but very few could. These were manual labor jobs, and most of the women (and quite a few men) couldn't handle it, or had to be given the easier jobs. One place I worked at many years ago was a pallet rebuilding company. While I worked there they had a woman come in and apply, the boss told her he would be glad to hire her, but since she already had a job he asked if she would like to try it out. The supervisor brought her into the shop and put her at my station, she worked for maybe 30 seconds, shook her head and said this isn't for me. Another place I worked was shipping at a pork slaughter house. Part of the job was the stack off line, the boxes would come down a conveyor and had to be stacked on pallets. There were a couple of women who worked there, but when they were put on the line they had to be put in the sections with lighter boxes rather than rotating through them all like everyone else.

If you get time, listen to the podcast above. Long story short, women are not making less for the same jobs. Women work different kinds of jobs and make career choices that cause income differences. There are numerous factors, but simply paying a woman less for the same job is virtually non-existent.

I skimmed through the transcript, and I agree.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm still trying to figure all this out. Is a "transgender boy" a boy that thinks he is a girl, or a girl that thinks she is a boy, or a person with both the boy and girl parts?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom