Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I just did some speed tests. My router has a built in speed test function. I’m getting about 570mbps down. I did a speed test on my personal mackbook connected to wifi and got about 67mbps. Did one on my work mackbook connected to ethernet. Got well over 500. Did one on my phone just now and got 20. I have QoS set up on wifi for phones at low priority. High priority for my personal macbook. **** everyone’s else :): they get medium priority. We have maybe 20 devices connected at a given time. Phones. Laptops. TV’s. Roku’s, but they have high priority. VOIP has high priority. Gaming consoles have high priority.

It is very likely that people can have lower bandwidth at their device even though they have a high bandwidth connection. It gets spread out when you split it across many devices. Also, like like I said, I have an old router.
    So it sounds like you agree they are using a worst case scenario to calculate the time saved and presenting to everybody without saying they are using a worst case scenario.

These guys say the USA average internet speed is 207 Mbps and the median speed is 121 Mbps.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even some of my fellow programmers would get this wrong - How many bits in a byte?
    iu

8 Mr. Cotter!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So it sounds like you agree they are using a worst case scenario to calculate the time saved and presenting to everybody without saying they are using a worst case scenario.

These guys say the USA average internet speed is 207 Mbps and the median speed is 121 Mbps.
    I looked it up and the article I found said 120 mbps.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    iu

8 Mr. Cotter!
    No.
    Byte is an unspecific and flexible term. Usually the number of bits used to store a character in memory. The early IBM ASCII computers used 7 bit bytes until they switched to EBCDIC 8 bit bytes and other weird ones have used almost any number under 24 bits per byte or some such ridiculous top end.
    Technically an 8 bit byte is an octet.

But it is true today that the 8 bit byte is so common that nobody cares.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No.
    Byte is a unspecific and flexible term. Usually the number of bits used to store a character in memory. The early IBM ASCII computers used 7 bit bytes until they switched to EBCDIC 8 bit bytes and other weird ones have used almost any number under 24 bits per byte or some such ridiculous top end.

Yeah, I've always worked with EBCDIC for the most part, but also with ASCII, especially with FTPs. But nowdays you can tell the computer to do the conversions in the FTP process.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I just did some speed tests. My router has a built in speed test function. I’m getting about 570mbps down. I did a speed test on my personal mackbook connected to wifi and got about 67mbps. Did one on my work mackbook connected to ethernet. Got well over 500. Did one on my phone just now and got 20. I have QoS set up on wifi for phones at low priority. High priority for my personal macbook. **** everyone’s else :): they get medium priority. We have maybe 20 devices connected at a given time. Phones. Laptops. TV’s. Roku’s, but they have high priority. VOIP has high priority. Gaming consoles have high priority.

It is very likely that people can have lower bandwidth at their device even though they have a high bandwidth connection. It gets spread out when you split it across many devices. Also, like like I said, I have an old router.
    How old is your access point? You should be able to get a lot better than that wirelessly.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dude, time to upgrade. That :poop: isn't even secure anymore. Get yourself a good mesh system
    Yeah. Found the receipt in my wallet. 2015, so yeah. Time for a new router. Probably a new cable modem too. That's newer though but the speed I'm paying for is at the top end of the modem's capability. In my defense I do keep the firmware up to date.

Just kidding about the wallet. I carried around a George Costanza wallet for most of my life but I went minimalist a couple years ago. I'll never go back.

1689910019257.png

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    No.
    Byte is a unspecific and flexible term. Usually the number of bits used to store a character in memory. The early IBM ASCII computers used 7 bit bytes until they switched to EBCDIC 8 bit bytes and other weird ones have used almost any number under 24 bits per byte or some such ridiculous top end.

Huh. Yeah, I'd have got that one wrong, too. I always thought a byte was 8 bits, end of story. Learned something new today...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah. Found the receipt in my wallet. 2015, so yeah. Time for a new router. Probably a new cable modem too. That's newer though but the speed I'm paying for is at the top end of the modem's capability. In my defense I do keep the firmware up to date.

Just kidding about the wallet. I carried around a George Costanza wallet for most of my life but I went minimalist a couple years ago. I'll never go back.

View attachment 288419
    Look at the mesh systems. There are a number of good ones out there. I have the Eero 6e, and it has been great.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom