Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Using your speed
    381 Mbps divided by 8 = 47.6 MBps

726 GB at 47.6 MBps = 0.177 days

They are calculating time saved by using a connection speed that is over 21 times slower than yours. Sure that makes for an impressive amount of time saved - except it is not true.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Using your speed
    381 Mbps divided by 8 = 47.6 MBps

726 GB at 47.6 MBps = 0.177 days

They are calculating time saved by using a connection speed that is over 21 times slower than yours. Sure that makes for an impressive amount of time saved - except it is not true.
    I think the numbers are cumulative since I installed Brave well over a year ago. I dunno. Still like the browser and now when I run C-Cleaner at the end of the day, I'm only deleting 100 - 150 MB of "junk" compared to when I was using Firefox and deleting 500 MB - 1 GB. So I figure it's blocking a lot of garbage from getting on my machine.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wow, their time saved calculation must be based on a terribly slow connection speed.

The average download speed in the US is ~120mbs. At that speed it would take almost 14 hours to download 746GB of data. At 20mbs it would take ~84 hours. That's 3.5 days.

Most people use a wireless router in their home network. Even if your internet speed meets the average 120mbs, your device won't see that kind of speed, especially if you have several devices connected. So that 20mbps is probably realistic for a given device on a home wireless network where your network speed at your modem is only 120mbp.

My internet speed at the modem is ~560mbs. I have an older router; it's time to upgrade. We have maybe 20 or so devices connected to wifi. I'm kinda far from the router and a floor above. I have QoS set up to give my work computers and my personal macbook the highest priority. I'm on my macbook now connected on the 5G band and this is the best I got over wifi:

1689856576902.png

It would take me 23.5 hours to download 746GB. When I connect via Ethernet, I get closer to the 560mbs. I really need a new modem and router. Those with a decent provider, more up-to-date wifi equipment, and fewer connected devices, they'd download that much data in a few hours. But, I think the claim is realistic for a lot of users.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Do we have an anti woke success thread?

I dunno. I started the original insane social justice thread maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I think the conversation has changed over the years. Then I posted it to mock the nutty stuff a fringe left group was saying. I think mocking nutty ideas is important because it helps keep society sane. Mocking is conservation.

Now they control all the major institutions, one could say because conservatives did not publicly mock it enough. Maybe out of fear. But as the circumstances have changed, this discussion has morphed into just a "wokeness" conversation, where we're not just mocking the nutballs' insane social justice stuff.

It's now a fight. And I think the conversation has reflected that, where we talk about both the nutty excesses of wokeness, and our successes against it. They both belong in the same conversation.

I think this thread has exceeded the usual 5K posts. Maybe the next one should be named more appropriately for the conversation we're having. So, to the mods, please consider that when this one is done. It's fine if the "insane social justice" title is retired, where the replacement is better named for the times.

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The average download speed in the US is ~120mbs. At that speed it would take almost 14 hours to download 746GB of data. At 20mbs it would take ~84 hours. That's 3.5 days.

Most people use a wireless router in their home network. Even if your internet speed meets the average 120mbs, your device won't see that kind of speed, especially if you have several devices connected. So that 20mbps is probably realistic for a given device on a home wireless network where your network speed at your modem is only 120mbp.

My internet speed at the modem is ~560mbs. I have an older router; it's time to upgrade. We have maybe 20 or so devices connected to wifi. I'm kinda far from the router and a floor above. I have QoS set up to give my work computers and my personal macbook the highest priority. I'm on my macbook now connected on the 5G band and this is the best I got over wifi:

View attachment 288252

It would take me 23.5 hours to download 746GB. When I connect via Ethernet, I get closer to the 560mbs. I really need a new modem and router. Those with a decent provider, more up-to-date wifi equipment, and fewer connected devices, they'd download that much data in a few hours. But, I think the claim is realistic for a lot of users.
    "The average download speed in the US is ~120mbs." They are using 17-18mbs in their calculation which gives them impressive time-saved numbers. You think that is realistic - I don't.

Last edited:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    "The average download speed in the US is ~120mbs." They are using 17-18MBS in their calculation which gives them impressive time-saved numbers. You think that is realistic - I don't.
    I haven't been following this thread closely, but if the authors of the article did use 17-18 MB/s, it would translate to 136-144 Mb/s, which is pretty close to what jamil stated is the average US download speed.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I haven't been following this thread closely, but if the authors of the article did use 17-18 MB/s, it would translate to 136-144 Mb/s, which is pretty close to what jamil stated is the average US download speed.
    Nah. The uppercase is my mistake and I'm not even sure how that happened, maybe I fatfingered the caps lock or something. The speed they used is 17-18mbs.
    I don't think anybody uses bytes when talking about download speeds.

Reactions: oze

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "The average download speed in the US is ~120mbs." They are using 17-18mbs in their calculation which gives them impressive time-saved numbers. You think that is realistic - I don't.
    I just did some speed tests. My router has a built in speed test function. I’m getting about 570mbps down. I did a speed test on my personal mackbook connected to wifi and got about 67mbps. Did one on my work mackbook connected to ethernet. Got well over 500. Did one on my phone just now and got 20. I have QoS set up on wifi for phones at low priority. High priority for my personal macbook. **** everyone’s else :): they get medium priority. We have maybe 20 devices connected at a given time. Phones. Laptops. TV’s. Roku’s, but they have high priority. VOIP has high priority. Gaming consoles have high priority.

It is very likely that people can have lower bandwidth at their device even though they have a high bandwidth connection. It gets spread out when you split it across many devices. Also, like like I said, I have an old router.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom