• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

I think it's funny that they use native American. There are no native Americans. We all came to this land at different points in time. Be it Asia (native Americans) or Europe.
    I don't see why I can't check the "Native American" box when a form asks for it. I was born in Indy, you can't get much more ****ing native than that. Where the hell else would I be from?

:):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Recent case on gay marriage web site design turns out it was FAKE.

I saw something about that on Twitter before the ruling came down. But then when SCOTUS ruled in favor of the web designer I thought the accusation that the case was fake, was fake. I think this makes the court smell bad.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I saw something about that on Twitter before the ruling came down. But then when SCOTUS ruled in favor of the web designer I thought the accusation that the case was fake, was fake. I think this makes the court smell bad.
    Was it ever brought up by the state? You'd think they would be making that argument if it was true.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The plaintiff never knew his name was being used as part of a court case that probably went through at least two layers of the legal system below SCOTUS? Really? No lawyer at any level deposed him/her/it/them? Color me skeptical

I wonder if the plaintiff suddenly realizing he shouldn't have been included as part of the whole operation was meant to be a fall-back position, in case they lost, so they could try to undercut the verdict

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I want to know if the guy who supposedly inquired about having a gay wedding page created has any known ties to the plaintiff, or the plaintiff's lawyers. It's extraordinarily odd that this had already been heard by lower courts without anyone challenging it. It's also extraordinarily odd that this guy is married, or at least claims to be.

Maybe the right is trying the same move that the left pulls. Drum up a case so that they can get it heard before a court willing to make a political ruling. It's just that the right is really bad at the rules for radicals game. Makes it worth reading the SCOTUS opinions in the case, particularly the dissents. Maybe they did know and this was ruled regardless.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    An author over on the Volokh Conspiracy section of Reason speculates that it may be a quid pro quo with the Independent State Legislature decision:

The NewRepublic article suggests that it's possible some internet troll may have sent that email (who would believe that the internet would do such a thing?!)

It's possible that nonetheless she had standing (as the injury is the punishment from the state as they're punished very similar behavior before):
    [...] The would-be customer’s request was not the basis for Smith’s original lawsuit, nor was it cited by the high court as the reason for ruling in her favor. Legal standing, or the right to bring a lawsuit, generally requires the person bringing the case to show that they have suffered some sort of harm. But pre-enforcement challenges — like the one Smith brought — are allowed in certain cases if the person can show they face a credible threat of prosecution or sanctions unless they conform to the law.
    [...]
    That appeals court noted that Colorado had a history of past enforcement “against nearly identical conduct” and that the state decline to promise that it wouldn’t go after Smith if she violated the law.
    [...]

All that said, even if a robust analysis is found that she has standing, we will hear "fake case" for decades to come.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015