• Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Always good to hear, Hoosier8.

I'm treading water. Been sick, so haven't had any energy.

Speaking of energy. I cannot workout like I used to due to age so have scaled back my workout. Since I love squats and they work the largest muscles in your body, they also take the most time to recover and being older, very long. Since going back to the gym I have had to scale back from my workout just to have the energy to go again. You don't want to workout if you are beat or you could make a mistake and hurt yourself. I look forward to going to the gym again which is nice.

On another note, haven't lost any weight but not worrying about it right now, just worrying about having enough fuel and taking enough time for recovery to feel good.

Two acquaintances my age have that basketball belly and that is something I just don't want. You get to my age and I think most people either don't want to put in the effort or think they are too old but lifting weights is one of the best ways to feel better and to retain things like coordination.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I got back from a "vacation" (it was inlaws, but whatever), and went back to the gym. Energy is my toughest part. But, I've got to make it a habit.

Did 4.48 miles yesterday and 4.53 today. It is a good feeling to be getting closer to 5 mph.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's been a struggle, but I'm down 9 pounds from my original post in this thread. I'm making an effort to get out and walk the dogs every morning instead of just letting them out in the fenced yard.

I'm really getting serious about the diabetes. I don't want to lose my feet, legs, eyes, or anything else. With the exception of a sour gummy bear and caramel cream binge last Saturday, I've been doing very well with controlling my sugar intake.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Been adding cardio to workouts, yesterday was ~30 minutes between treadmill & rowing machine (dang that thing makes you aware of muscles you didn't know you had). I have to mix up my cardio, or I will quit, hate it! Today is weights day, mix of Upper & Lower Body.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Here is one of my favorite meals lately. A bacon, sausage zucchini boat and a spinach salad. 40 grams of fat and under 5 carbs. The dreasing on the salad is my apple cider vinegar/olive oil recipe. There is about 1/4 cup in there.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Blood sugar was 111 this morning. Lowest that I can remember in a long time, even with the Metformin and Glipizide. Small victories. :yesway:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Resurecting this thread. :)

Last week I finished a personal training package at the local Y. I had been working with a personal trainer there for around 18 months +/- and he told me that he needed to cut back his hours, so I'm switching trianers there. I try to go t/Th and jsutt work upper body, which seems ot be the best for me to eliminate some of my somewhat chronic back pain. Unfortunately, the new guy cant really work with me until early October so I'm sort of on my own until then.

This weekend I got back into my kettlebell routines at home and felt pretty good. My plan is to keep working with theis new trainer one or two days / week and do my kettlebell workouts at home. I can do a 300 swing routine pretty much daily and probably add someother exercises a couple of days per week.

Anyway, Thread resurrected.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Thanks, Hawkeye. Just trying to keep head above water here. Hurt my back about 10 days ago and haven't been moving much. :n00b:

I know tha tfeeling! My "chronic" back pain resurged about a month ago and has been giving me fits. Only real relief seems to be to try to get some UB strrrength training in - to the point of msucle exhaustion. Usually feel pretty good for ~ 24 hours so Its something I need to try to do nearly every day. Alsong with some serious regular stretching and using a foam roller on my back and legs.

Weent to a KB Clinic last night. Whiel Ive used KB's for a number of years I find its usually good to occasionally get some new perspectives. Has a pretty good workout, combo of working on form for Swings and stretching, etc. Feel reasonably good this morning.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I would like to find a work out partner who also works the 3rd shift and in the Laporte area to lift with. When I went to college in 2009 after getting out of the service and going from 180 to 215 I was a bouncer and met another Marine. We started to hit the gym together and in less than 16 months minus the summer and holiday breaks I went from 215 back to 190 good enough to pass the tape test and fulfill my yearning to get back in the service as a reservist. I also started working for the railroad and my knee pain I have had since boot camp started to get worse.

I gave the reserves a yr before i had enough as I thought it was a joke since I had did 4yrs active and was going to the weekend warrior pace. My weight started to go back up as I quit running since it made my knee worse, then found out in 2012 I had a torn meniscus in my rt knee from back in boot camp 2005. I did surgery back in 2014 and my weight had reached 235. In 2015 the pain started to come back and get worse so back to the Va to find it was still tearing. By mid 2015 my weight peaked at 250. I had surgery in Aug again this time using the VA choice to get it done without the hassle of a nerve block and 12hrs of waiting before I was able to go home. Now I'm at 245 and holding steady since the beginning of the year.

I tried Planet Fitness but couldn't deal with the joke they are of saying they are inclusive but not. I'm looking at Anytime Fitness as I would only do low impact cardio, light lower body till my weight reaches 200, and go back to being able to bench/ upper body exercises without being judged for being a so called lunk. When I was working out I had more energy, more drive to get out and do things, had more desire for play time with the wife, and was able to fit into more clothes.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I had a good day today, went for a run and got 5th place (1st in my class), the 4 people that beat me were super freaks and I am OK with never coming close to their times, this was in central Florida in a very hilly and soft race with 100% humidity and hot as hell, felt great, lost 4lbs during the run, lost serious liquids and that was even drinking after.

Not bad for a cowboy that spends his time on the open range and doesn't have time to run.

Screenshot_20160924-193509_edit_1474769399904.jpeg

Screenshot_20160924-193630_edit_1474769212403.jpeg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom