• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    If you guys/gals don't mind if like to get in on this one. In my younger days I was very athletic and had very little body fat and loved working out. I had a good purpose for doing so (sports). I graduated high school at 165lbs. I heard someone else talking about hating their wedding pics and I feel the same way. When I got married I think I was around 225. Right now I'm at 207 and still have way to much body fat. But I love Coke (the drink) and beer. I also have a bad sweet tooth.

Last st year they made my job much easier. I used to be constantly moving and running my ass off. Now I sit most of the time because my job is much more automated. I also quit chewing for a couple months and gained about 10lbs. I started chewing again unfortunately. So now my goal is to quit chewing again in the very near future and lose about 30 lbs or so depending on muscle built. (Focusing more on the mirror than the scale).

Eating healthy isn't all that hard for me if I plan it out. I love fruits and veggies and will eat just about anything. My problem is if I cheat, I end up cheating for months rather than days.

my main motivations are my wife and kids. I have two little ones that I need more energy for. I also would really like for my wife to like what she sees when I don't have a shirt on. Which is most of the time at home.

So I'm starting today, though my food this evening won't be perfect because of get togethers. But day 1: 207lb chubby dude.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Best of success Snap
    i started the Ideal Protein protocol in January. I am down over 80 lbs and just started maintainence. I feel great and am off almost all my Meds. I too was diabetic. I am approaching my late 50's. I found out about the program from a friend in Highland when I lived in Da Region..... It is a great program. I was seldom hungry after the first four days. Try a Google search and check out a clinic in NWI. I cannot say enough about it. Only one downside-program a bit pricey and so is eating healthy.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm in. I never really struggled with weight when I was younger. I did have some weight gain in my mid 20s, but that was easy to fix by just giving up junk food and pop. I used to be able to eat ungodly amounts of food, and still stay under 120 lbs, so i never really learned portion control. Nowadays, I eat a very healthy diet, kind of a combination of clean eating and Mediterranean. My one downfall is booze. i like good craft beers and red wine. I don't intend to give those up, but i need to cut back. Husband is also a major contributor, even though he needs to lose weight just as much, probably even more so, since he has had some blood pressure issues. We used to be very active and played lots of sports, until maybe our 40s. We are trying to get walking and bicycling more. I'm only 5'2", and am almost 160 lbs right now. I have lost weight in the past, but then I gain back. I did Weight Watchers Online for a while, and I did lose, but it just seemed like it wasn't healthy weight loss, I wasn't eating enough fats, and was relying too much on processed frozen meals for lunch. Sometimes, if I get very anxious or stressed, i lose weight because I can't eat, but again, not healthy, and i gain it back later! Stress and the lack of sleep it causes can also make us gain weight. :(

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Good luck Snap. I'm also losing weight after a doc visit (started at 204, doc wants me at 185) because of a family history of high blood pressure. Aside from eating better one of the things that I have found useful is a food journal. I just enter what I ate for each meal, and as motivation what I did not eat. That way if I'm having a bad day I can look back and say that I didn't need it X days ago, I don't need it now. For convenience it's in my gmail account;

Untitled_zps3wt3ygbg.jpg

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Having a pretty good week. Eating has been better. A gym trip tuesday and a run this morning. Planning to swim or gym tonight. Found a local guy that is about my fitness level. Planning to ride mountain bikes together. Just trying to get back in the groove. Keep it up everybody!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I would be one of the hardcore fitness types, though I'm not some sort of pinnacle when it comes to being "in shape." I will state though that for those who have weight issues, the number one issue is almost always food. You are eating too much of the wrong stuff. My diet is horrible, I'm a very picky eater, but I'm also a light eater, so I don't consume much food. I'm almost 40, but back when I was around 23, my sedentary lifestyle started causing me to gain weight. I was always a lanky kid and teen, likely weighing in around 130-140. In my early 20s, I started to put on just a small amount of weight and eventually hit the 160s. A gut was forming and I could see it.

At that moment I decided it was time to do something. The one thing I did which had an almost immediate effect was to stop drinking Coke/Pepsi, which is really nothing more than water with sugar added. They put caffeine it to get people addicted to it. I stopped drinking sugar water cold turkey, just stopped buying the 30-40 ounce gas station fountain drinks, drinking them at family gatherings, drinking them throughout the day on my days off, drinking them when I would go out to eat, etc.. For three days I got headaches from caffeine withdraw. These were not fun, but not bad enough that I had to leave work (though I wanted to). By day four, my body adjusted.

I immediately dropped back down to the 140-150s. It would be over ten years before I decided to get fit. I dropped a bit of torso fat and gained muscle by doing P90X workouts. The goal for those seriously overweight should be to change your diet first. You have to change how you view food. Due to being a picky eater, I was always able to just view food as fuel. There are minimal things I like to eat, and while they taste good, thinking of food as some sort of reward or fun thing to do will cause you to eat more than you need to. If your car only holds 10 gallons of gas, you don't pump 20 gallons when you are at the fuel station.

Another success story was a guy I met after my first hike up Mt. LeConte in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. He was in his 40s and it was also his first hike up to the lodge onto of the mountain. Like me, he was a thin build for the most part, but admitted that he had gotten somewhat of a spare tire gut. He said he did two things to prepare him for his hike: He switched over to drinking just ice water and would go walking every evening if he could. He say the same results I saw after giving up calorie drinks, his gut vanished.

Good luck on your journey.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll add my health/fitness story hoping it'll help others, but at this point I haven't read the previous 12 pages.

I joined a crossfit gym in August of '15. I went from zero exercise to very challenging, but not impossible workouts. After the workouts, I felt hungry and I mean hungry so it was easy to justify running through a McDonalds on the way to work after working out that morning. After, I had worked out that morning and earned it right? So time went by and I gained in strength. Clothes started to get snug in the sleeves, and the belt tightened, but the number on the scale didn't budge. That was, up until May of '16.

In May of '16 I went in to a place called True Weightloss Solutions in Fort Wayne. My wife had gone there and had incredible success. After she did a round with them, my mom ended up going there and I have never seen my mom this thin or healthy in my life after she went there. So anyway, I went there with zero health conditions, and zero medications. I sat down with a "weightloss coach" and she talked me through everything involved in the plan. What convinced me to go through with it was after standing on the scale/scanner thing and hearing how my health stats were stacking up. I had the metabolic age of an 80+ year old. I had visceral fat that was off the charts, and I literally had 100 pounds of actual body fat on me. I think of all the time and energy I've spent in the past on what I've got loaded in a backpack and how much it weighed and it was drops in a bucket to what was attached on my body all over.

I walked in feeling strong from the crossfit, but knew if they had an answer to me loosing weight I'd be happy to listen. The first 6 weeks in phase 1 were tough. There's no getting around that, but I got into the mess because it was easy and knew getting out of it was going to be a challenge. I saw a challenge because being overweight isn't a genetic curse, it's an obstacle to be stared at fight in the face, punched in the throat, and jumped over. Mentally, after hearing 100 pounds of body fat I was ready to get in the game.

Like many here I assume, I like to watch outdoor survival shows. In particular I get a kick out of watching "Naked and Afraid". I considered this new diet/lifestyle to be my 21 day challenge, except it was going to be 6 weeks, I'd be clothed, working, sleeping in my bed and otherwise wouldn't notice a change in my life. :) Not quite apples to apples, but who's counting.

Bottom Line, I knew I sucked at knowing how to eat healthy or make good choices so I got trained up by an expert. There's no shame in that and I'm actually pretty proud that I made the decision to do it rather than continue down a road of ignorance. I see this as no different than any experienced shooter helping a new gun owner learn the ropes of safe gun handling and shooting. I was a rookie and I needed help, part of life.

As of right now, since May 1 I've lost 45 pounds. Now when I'm running at crossfit or doing pullups life is a lot easier and I'm knocking out more reps. People ask me all the time what I'm doing, or what diet I'm on. I've gone from the 270's to the 220's, and I've had to buy all new clothes. My pant size alone has gone from a 42 or 44 wide to a 38 or 36. My shirt size went from a 2XL being a little snug to a loose 1XL to borderline Large depending on how confident I'm feeling and where we're going.

Guys & Gals, I'm a guy who's got at least a half dozen pizza delivery places in my phone and if I can do it believe me when I say you can too. We're all going to be paying for out health one way or the other. I'd prefer my money be spent on a gym membership and a weightloss coach rather than monthly medications and doctor visits. If anyone wants to send a private message to me about this I will gladly give you all the information I can and help you out in any way possible. Your health is important, you can make the change.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom