• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Great idea, Sylvain.

And about the Fitness Club thread... nobody looked down on me or made me feel badly on purpose. I just don't feel I fit in with the fitness geeks. It's my own issue, but I will always feel insecure in a crowd of fit people talking about how to get even fitter when I'm struggling to lose half my body weight. I need to be among my own kind. ;)

It's ALL mindset bro. The mindset to have a plan, and stick to it. Not short term, not long term, but forever. Me for instance, I count macros, since college (when I started to get chubby). I do a cheat day once a week, and a cheat week, once every 6 months. If I'm know I'm going out drinking with friends, I plan workouts to offset alcohol. An Osiris beer pong (my poison of choice) is 168 calories, a shot of jagermeister 100 cal/oz. That, for me, is about 6 laps on a track, or about 30 minutes of walking... for heavier guys, the distance and time is a bit less.
    It's actually pretty satisfying knowing that once you get off the treadmill, you can pretty much eat and drink without worrying about ruining your workout (we can talk about alcohol and it's effects at another time).
    I understand about being sensitive around fit people. And while some people are *****, most people give props to those trying to make a change. If I'm making fun of someone at the gym, it the guy who doing 3 inch squats, or the guy who is going to snap his **** up trying, incorrectly, to deadlift some obscene amount of weight. Certainly no one I know, would ever make fun of an overweight person getting after it.

"Do what you can today, so you can do what others can't tomorrow."

For bigger guys, who have ever lifted north of 200, bench, squats, deadlifts, it might benefit you guys to look into powerlifting. Compound exercises burn hella cals, and there's absolutely no way you don't lose weight doing those. You literally have to eat 4000+ calories a day just for maintenance.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, I'm all fired up and now it's time to go to bed. LOL Tomorrow I will read this thread and watch the videos again. I should take some before pictures. (Yeccch.)

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I posted in the fitness thread before I realized this thread existed. This is more suited here. In a nutshell, I topped 301.2 right after Thanksgiving and figured it was time for a change. With the crazy awesome help of my wife, we both decided to cut all the crappy foods and stick to fresh meals as much as possible. Combined with going to the gym twice a week, I'm down 50 pounds as of last week and plan/hope to lose 35 more. I'll echo what some people have already said about losing weight, and share what helped me. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I figured if these things helped me, maybe they can help you.

-the biggest motivator for me was that my wife was doing it with me. If you have someone to workout with and that can help you cook/shop for healthy meals, it is an incredible help. We also set monetary goals, so $50 for every 10 pounds lost, with bigger prizes at halfway and the end. We are pretty frugal, so having such big prizes has been a huge motivator for us as well. I'm saving saving up my earnings for the gun store :)

-find some sort of workout that you can have fun doing. My love for playing basketball was rekindled when I forced myself to go back to the gym, and now I can't get enough. Its great exercise and when you're doing something you enjoy, sometimes it doesn't even feel like exercise. Find something you enjoy doing and can burn some calories doing.

-find incremental things to help you at first. We didn't have a particular diet we stuck to, we just started changing small things at first. I drank more Mountain Dew than I'd even like to admit before I started losing weight, but even just cutting pop and forcing myself to drink plenty of water has contributed at least 15 of those pounds lost. I found that if I try to do too much when first trying to lose weight, I got burned out really fast and went back to old ways. It was better for me to take small steps until they became habits

I know all that is essentially what everyone else has been saying but I think they're important factors. I'm not expert by any means, but I wanted to share what works for me. Dont get me wrong, I'm still fat but I feel the best I have since probably high school when I was a bean pole. I still have 35 to lose though, so there is still work to do.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Snap,

First off, I'm glad you started this thread. I've found the INGO Fitness Club thread has morphed from a guy wanting to get a little motivation to workout/lose weight to a "Hey, look at my Crossfit/American Ninja/Spartan/Ironnman prep or workout. :) That's fine and intersting but crertainly not what I need!

Second, it sounds like, as has been said above, you are after a lifestyle change. Figure out what you need to change and start it. Dont look for big, immediate changes. Revel in small wins. One day, one week at a time.

Set atainable goals. Dont focus on losing, say, 100# as your goal. Set soemthing like losing 4 or 5 #'s over the next month. Have the other a longer term target but focus on the short term.

Exerciseee is improtant, but it sounds like you need to really focus on the nutritional side of things. I'm a firm beleiver that you can consume a lot more calories in 30 minutes or an hour than you can reasonable burn off in hours of exercise.

JOurnalize what you are doing. My FItness Pal is a good way to do it. IT has smartphone apps and a website that you can log your meals and exercise. I'd strongly suggest a Fitbit and their app as well. IT helps me track my activity level and gives me some motivation.

Walking is probably the best exercise you can get, especially to start with. Did some internet research about a year ago and it seems you can get most of the benefits of running by a steady walking program. The standard advice is 10,000 steps a day (generally ~5 miles) walking. its a great goal. I dont hit it every day, but its my goal. I generally approach it by taking my dogs for a 1 mile walk in the morning, again 1-2 miles in the evening and then tryign to be more active around the office. I try to get up every hour or so and get 250-500 steps in. Geed break from sitting at my desk.

Anyway, just some thoughts and let's try to keep this thread from devolving into another "gym-rat" :) thread!

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Been big pretty much my whole life. Turned 30 in december of 2011 and decided something had to change. Around 300lbs at my biggest. Ran my first 5k in March of 2012. Ran a 5k/month that first year. Got down to 215 in 2013. Things were going great until i decided to run a full marathon in 2014. I finished but mentally it took a toll. Just can't seem to find the motivation anymore. Haven't stepped on the scale in a while but I have no doubt that i'm back around/over 250 again. Tough to hit that reset button again.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Been big pretty much my whole life. Turned 30 in december of 2011 and decided something had to change. Around 300lbs at my biggest. Ran my first 5k in March of 2012. Ran a 5k/month that first year. Got down to 215 in 2013. Things were going great until i decided to run a full marathon in 2014. I finished but mentally it took a toll. Just can't seem to find the motivation anymore. Haven't stepped on the scale in a while but I have no doubt that i'm back around/over 250 again. Tough to hit that reset button again.
    We can do it, saintnick. Stop by here often and I think it will help you get motivated.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Anothet big guy checking in late to the party. I've been over 300 lbs since 2004. I was 360 in July of 2011. Worked to get it down to 300 then quit smoking in March of 2014. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months.

Finally in February of this year I decided I've had enough and started on a high fat, low carb eating lifestyle. Had some help from a NTP (Nutritional Therpy Practitioner). I'm down over 40 lbs in 4 months changing only the way I eat. My goal is to be at 210 by my 40th B-Day next March.

I can honestly say I've never felt better. Even better than when I was a teenager.

If your interested in a low carb/high fat eating lifestyle (I won't call it a diet), there are a few good resources to read. Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore is a good place to start. Contacting a NTP is also a wonderful way to help with getting your digestion correct, which helps so many things.

I promise if I can do this you can to Snap.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Anothet big guy checking in late to the party. I've been over 300 lbs since 2004. I was 360 in July of 2011. Worked to get it down to 300 then quit smoking in March of 2014. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months.

Finally in February of this year I decided I've had enough and started on a high fat, low carb eating lifestyle. Had some help from a NTP (Nutritional Therpy Practitioner). I'm down over 40 lbs in 4 months changing only the way I eat. My goal is to be at 210 by my 40th B-Day next March.

I can honestly say I've never felt better. Even better than when I was a teenager.

If your interested in a low carb/high fat eating lifestyle (I won't call it a diet), there are a few good resources to read. Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore is a good place to start. Contacting a NTP is also a wonderful way to help with getting your digestion correct, which helps so many things.

I promise if I can do this you can to Snap.

Hey Bigtanker. Welcome. I have had much success on high fat/low carb, but my doctor put the kibosh on it because of my cholesterol. However, I honestly think that I am going to go back to it. I think the diabetes and weight loss are more important right now than my cholesterol. I can't do low fat and low carb. There's just not enough foods I can eat. (I am not a rabbit.)

I think if I keep the high fat/protein and ditch the sweets, I can do this.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hey Bigtanker. Welcome. I have had much success on high fat/low carb, but my doctor put the kibosh on it because of my cholesterol. However, I honestly think that I am going to go back to it. I think the diabetes and weight loss are more important right now than my cholesterol. I can't do low fat and low carb. There's just not enough foods I can eat. (I am not a rabbit.)

I think if I keep the high fat/protein and ditch the sweets, I can do this.

Keep in mind that food basically consists of three "component groups": protein, fat, and carbs. Carbs are a catch-all group- sugar, fiber, alcohol, starch, etc. Low-fat and low-carb basically means you will be eating a very high-protein diet. That is definitely not a rabbit diet.

Also, I'd question how old the dietary information is that your doctor is using. The body produces cholesterol naturally. The contribution from your diet is so small and its effect has been disproven so thoroughly that the US government has finally removed it's 50+ year old recommendation to lower cholesterol via diets.
    New US Guidelines Will Lift Limits on Dietary Cholesterol

Last edited:
    Top Bottom