• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The European Parliament just passed the Copyright Directive, article 13: 438 yeas, 226 nays, and 39 abstentions.

This is the "Meme ban" that was brought up before. Taking baby steps to become authoritarian China.
    Fools. What scares me slightly more is that apparently this is the most pressing issue facing the European people. I suppose it is as usual, "follow the money"

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The European Parliament just passed the Copyright Directive, article 13: 438 yeas, 226 nays, and 39 abstentions.

This is the "Meme ban" that was brought up before. Taking baby steps to become authoritarian China.

I guess the brown coats won after all. Time for our boys to go liberate Europe again

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

This virtual licensing crap (vs physical purchase) needs to stop. This isnt new. Amazon is also guilty of this with e-books. There are stories of them deciding a book you purchased is no longer yours and removed it from your library without compensation. (High School Student Sues Amazon Over Kindle Remote Book Removal - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD)

If I dont have a physical copy that somebody has to come physically take from me, or a PDF, independent of a cloud platform that doesnt contain DRM, I'm not buying it. There are already examples like those above that prove that if it is not in your hands, it is not truly yours in perpetuity.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yep, you're just renting those games/movies/music. They can pull the plug anytime.

Almost half of US cellphone calls will be scams by next year, says report
    According to the recording industries, even if you have physical media you're just renting it. They just can't enforce an expiration or prevent you from handing it to someone else to watch.

Yet another reason to get/have root access to your devices. :):

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    YouTube channel Kurzgesagt (very tech/scientific, educational) talks about how we could build a moon base today

[video=youtube;NtQkz0aRDe8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtQkz0aRDe8[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    But, it's not so much willpower of those leaving, as willpower of a nation or corporation for the start up capital on a LONG term investment.
    Everyone seems to want short term.

Then, there's the risk, investment risk.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    But, it's not so much willpower of those leaving, as willpower of a nation or corporation for the start up capital on a LONG term investment.
    Everyone seems to want short term.

Then, there's the risk, investment risk.
    Why not borrow another few trillion dollars for a moon base? It'll be awesome!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Cross-posting from the SJW thread---------

Linus Torvalds (the Linux guy) has adopted the "Contributor Covenant"... a code of conduct full of SJW language and Big Brother nonsense.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu.../?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f

One particular line: Maintainers have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.

Just an incoherent smorgasbord of free reign to remove any content.

TL;DR - Code that runs virtually every device on the planet is now directly subject to the whims of unelected comissars from San Francisco.

Also, his reasoning below:

Linus said:
    This is my reality. I am not an emotionally empathetic kind of person and that probably doesn't come as a big surprise to anybody. Least of all me. The fact that I then misread people and don't realize (for years) how badly I've judged a situation and contributed to an unprofessional environment is not good.

This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me. I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.

The above is basically a long-winded way to get to the somewhat painful personal admission that hey, I need to change some of my behavior, and I want to apologize to the people that my personal behavior hurt and possibly drove away from kernel development entirely.

I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people’s emotions and respond appropriately.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Why not borrow another few trillion dollars for a moon base? It'll be awesome!

Well, I think private enterprise would do it better.
    A jump to an asteroid would need a better launching pad than the earth with it's deep gravity well.
    But, get some people to the moon, and it can be mined for material needed, not all, but some, and it has a shallower gravity well.
    If we could mine an asteroid, the ROI would be immense.

But, it wouldn't happen in a Quarter, or even a Year.
    So, the lack of willpower.

Top Bottom