• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Huh.

There's one thing I find sloppy in this article - calling the makers of the film "trolls". They own the copyright from the very beginning and have a valid reason to enforce the copyright.

A troll is someone that generates a bogus copyright or patent or buys a valid one with the sole intent of extortion.

Now as to the film in question - The Cobbler starring Adam Sandler... hasn't enough damage been done? I mean the film got 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

EDIT: It seems I might be a bit wrong - if they're using litigation as a means to make money (i.e. setting up an LLC for copyright enforcement), then yeah, definitely trollish... maybe a halfling...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Someone on reddit did a live update, here's the series of events in order.

Update: the leak would be in the orbital module of the Soyuz docked to MRM-1 (Rassvet).
    Update 2: they found a 2mm hole near the hatch of the Soyuz.
    Update 3: the hole is covered (possibly by tape, I'm not sure using Alexander Gerst's finger for now) and the pressure is now stable.
    Update 4: Alexander said it looked like a drilled hole that might have been there for quite some time, I'm not sure about what I hear but the repair might be a little bit more complicated since covering it is not entirely stopping the leak. Some pieces of metal might have been twisted a bit.
    Update 5: the hole has been covered by kapton tape, but there would still be a small leak.
    Update 6 (edited for clarification): the depressurization rate has been divided by 6, which means that at this rate of depressurization they'll run out of air in 18 days (and of course it's not going to happen! It's just a way to picture it) which gives them a lot of time to find a solution.
    Update 7: astronauts are currently searching for the external holes from the Cupola using zoom lenses and binoculars. The inner hole is going to be repared using a special kit (I'm unsure about what it is exactly, sorry)
    Update 8: the current depressurization rate is of 0,1mmHg/min which is not a problem, it's going to be fixed very soon I believe. The crew is not in danger and this isn't a big emergency.
    Update 9: official NASA blog post about the event
    Update 10: Pictures of the hole have been sent to the ground and are being studied.
    Update 11: The livestream is not giving any new information for now, so I'm stopping the live coverage for now. I'll try to keep you updated if something happens. If I got anything wrong during the updates I'm sorry but it's really hard to understand exactly what's being said on the livestream!
    Update 12: Patches are currently being installed over the hole.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't they let those people have duct tape any more? What they need is a tap, a bolt, and a nice glob of threadlock.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wasn't sure where else to put this, but wanted to spread the word on it. We truly live in an amazing time.

We Are Letting Brain-Damaged Patients Die on a False Assumption

After all, Routely had been completely unresponsive for the 12 years since his severe traumatic brain injury. He was thought to be in a vegetative state: complete unawareness of self or environment. But, as Owen watched Routley’s brain inside a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scanner, he saw a region of the motor cortex called the supplementary motor area—thought to play a role in movement—light up with activity. When he told Routely to relax, the activity ceased. And when he asked Routley to imagine walking around his house, he saw clear activity in the parahippocampal gyrus—a region of the brain that plays an important role in the encoding and recognition of spatial environment.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Elon on Joe Rogan talking heavy technology, AI, integration of AI with human cognition...

Just deep, fatalistic tech talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPr5-27vSI
    At first I was like, that would be cool to have hardware augmentation available to people. That could possibly be the answer to the problem of competence disparities. As automation pushes the workforce’s required skillset ever higher, there will be fewer jobs which lower skilled workers would be qualified to do. As AI gets better, this group will eventually include the intire set of humans. There really isn’t a good solution for that. However if those workers could be “augmented”, they can keep up with AI. Great theory. Except...

You think it’s bad when your email gets hacked. Can you imagine hacking the hardware in someone’s head? Used to be said, the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. In that kind of future, the one who writes the firmware will rule the world. Ain’t no way.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The European Parliament just passed the Copyright Directive, article 13: 438 yeas, 226 nays, and 39 abstentions.

This is the "Meme ban" that was brought up before. Taking baby steps to become authoritarian China.

Top Bottom