suur9ql19qd11.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    LGR plugs a USB hub into an android phone with a USB-A to USB-C adapter.

Then plugs a USB floppy drive and PS2 keyboard (using PS2-to-USB) into it... runs dosbox, and plays a game from the floppy drive.

Why? Because you can!

[video=youtube;iT1l8Dcjb1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT1l8Dcjb1Y[/video]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't see how the banks could do that without the express consent of the customers.

Big Corps period are our threat at this point. The too big to fail banks are no better. We have more and more consolidation and less and less competition.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't see how the banks could do that without the express consent of the customers.

Depends on the bank's privacy policies.

You get into definitions of 'affiliates' or 'vendors.' Facebook could enter into a contractual relationship, either directly or through subsidiaries, that become an affiliate of the banks.

The data could be even anonymized, sorta, in the sense of people in certain area codes have certain balances, or on certain streets. Facebook can take that anonymized data and put it into their algorithms to hone their marketing messages.

I'm sure they'd love to get the details, but with the algos, they almost don't need it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Glad I don't use FB. Started weaning myself from all things Google but not there yet....

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Glad I don't use FB. Started weaning myself from all things Google but not there yet....

And that's the problem with monopolies.

Get so ingrained into everyday culture and society... built-in to peoples homes, cars, pockets, jobs, lives... then become evil. Most will just stick with it and shrug off the invasions of privacy and harm to themselves because they neeeeed it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Switched to Proton Mail from Google mail

The tough thing is AT&T probably has it buried in my agreement that they can read every piece of data that goes through their network.

And that's the problem with monopolies.

Get so ingrained into everyday culture and society... built-in to peoples homes, cars, pockets, jobs, lives... then become evil. Most will just stick with it and shrug off the invasions of privacy and harm to themselves because they neeeeed it.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The tough thing is AT&T probably has it buried in my agreement that they can read every piece of data that goes through their network.

That is true for every ISP. They can view all unencrypted traffic and see every site you visit, even if the specific content is encrypted. Any good VPN avoids both of those issues.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Watch you device security, too. I am aware of several incidences where alphabet agencies hacked the device to share screenshots of the traffic after decryption, so it didn't matter how good the encryption was

An old joke about a Gmail account was you shouldn't worry much about others reading your email because Google already was

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Switched to Proton Mail from Google mail

This is where "know your enemy" comes into play. Of course they could read it, but most people aren't important enough to go through the trouble. Everyone envisions this world where all your data is just a click away and it simply isn't the case. As someone who works in data analysis I can tell you that most data is a jumbled mess.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Once again being the Grey Man is a winning strategy

Privacy today is largely assured by being uninteresting, not by somehow being able to block all intrusion attempts

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Proton offers a VPN service that I have been considering.

That is true for every ISP. They can view all unencrypted traffic and see every site you visit, even if the specific content is encrypted. Any good VPN avoids both of those issues.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Motive also comes into play. Just because they can, doesn't mean they have incentive to do so. Unless, of course, they wish to be evil... or get paid by someone... or compelled by someone...

Just because I can read all my user's mail and files... doesn't mean I do or want to. I barely read my own mail.

Would be surprised how many of them think I have a spreadsheet I can just open to find what their current passwords are, though.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    This is where "know your enemy" comes into play. Of course they could read it, but most people aren't important enough to go through the trouble. Everyone envisions this world where all your data is just a click away and it simply isn't the case. As someone who works in data analysis I can tell you that most data is a jumbled mess.

I never thought that was much of an argument. Deciding you are "important enough" is a single decision away. Problem is that decision doesn't have to come from a human. Any system scanning data and finding matching keywords or meta-data can elevate you to a person of interest and eligible for much closer scrutiny. Much of our data is now being captured for long-term analysis and decryption. That analysis ability will only get better with time, so even something that doesn't raise a red flag now, might later due to improving analysis or re-analysis based on new criteria.

Top Bottom