• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    HOLY **** , i dont know how familiar you guys are with Fo4 but im on a survival play through and you cant save unless you are sleeping in a bed.

Im trying to get to kellogg right now and the landmines one hit me.. ive been at this for hours. Its so infuriating. But so so satisfying

If I remember correctly, you also have to account for hunger/thirst, and deal with injury differently.

I like doing similar things with Skyrim... all-out survival mods... where you have to eat/drink/sleep... and exposure is a factor... have to wear warmer clothes in the colder areas, get dry by a fire, etc.

Good stuff.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    These 'tards are going to make me defend Fortnight.

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/1006661774706278400

of course she’s full of ****. There are *some* studies that show *some* kids show more aggression after playing violent video games. It’s not 130 studies concluding the same thing. It’s not unequivocal. And she’s cherrypicking. She did not mention the studies which show the opposite. She did not mention the beneficial characteristics uncovered by some studies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    948k4fzvar311.jpg

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    After watching quite a bit more of the E3 coverage I'm looking more at Insurgency Sandstorm and Cyberpunk2077. Battlefield V is starting to lose my interest.

Looking forward to Crackdown 3 too.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Cyberpunk 2077 is the only thing I saw that sparked any interest for me. I gave up on CoD & Battlefield a while ago.

I miss games where you could run your own servers and build up a community around it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    10 Gabe Newell Facts you probably didn't know.

10. In 2017, Gabe cracked the top 100 richest people in the US... and the only gaming-oriented person in that list.
    9. Gabe dropped out of Harvard. Convinced by Steve Balmer. First job was at a "new" Microsoft.
    8. In 2003, a German hacker stole the source code for Half Life 2. Gabe offered to hire him as an in-house security auditor (to trap him).
    7. In 2011, Valve announced Steam Guard (account security). He published his Steam password and account name as proof that it works.
    6. Gabe's favorite games: Mario 64, Doom, and a Star Trek punch-card game.
    5. Gabe once had a disease called Fuch's Dystrophe, "dead people eyes"... had double cornea transplants in 2006/2007.
    4. In an interview, he once confirmed he liked "My little pony"... after which, 'bronies' lost their minds.
    3. Bill Gates tried to buy 'id Software'... but he didn't... Gabe Newell headed the port.
    2. Gabe worked for 13 years at Microsoft (became a fabled 'Microsoft Millionaire'). Was the 271st employee.
    1. Gabe is very generous. Once of the writers of Portal 2 was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Gabe changed his job description to "get better", giving him extended paid leave.

0. Bonus fact, from me: Gabe responds to every e-mail that people send him. Try it.

[video=youtube;5HMmgJaqYns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HMmgJaqYns[/video]

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    CD Projekt Red know what they're doing. Ciri (Witcher 3) has mentioned the world of Cyberpunk 2077.... she's even been there...

They did say it was the "same world" as Witcher 3. Wonder exactly how much crossover there'll be.

Spoilers for Witcher 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ6A3GvEVo0

Also, picked up Elder Scrolls Online since it's on a pretty good sale, $10... no monthly cost to play. Wife got into it last week and is liking it so far.

Apparently shouldn't get it on Steam, though... they're having a lot of downtime. Better to get it directly from the ESO website. Figure along with that and my Skyrim re-play... I'll fill that Elder Scrolls void for a little while before TES6.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Portal is one of the best examples of a near-perfectly executed game. Never knew that stuff about Gabe.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Portal is one of the best examples of a near-perfectly executed game. Never knew that stuff about Gabe.

It's definitely worth going through again with developer commentary turned on. They talk a lot about how they got the levels to flow together so well, how testing groups reacted to certain things, etc...

Near-perfect is a good way to describe it.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Picked up Until Dawn on PS4s E3 sale. Figured for $4.99 Id give it a go. Pretty good so far if you like those kind of games.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I haven't looked at the criteria for "gaming disorder". But I'll say this. If you've just gamed for 3 days straight with a few dozen bottles of **** lying around because you can't pull yourself away long enough to use the bathroom, you've got some screws loose. I'm okay with calling that a mental disorder. Normal people can stop playing long enough to live some daylight, at least on occasion.

But if it's defined in terms far short of that, then of course, it's nonsense.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I haven't looked at the criteria for "gaming disorder". But I'll say this. If you've just gamed for 3 days straight with a few dozen bottles of **** lying around because you can't pull yourself away long enough to use the bathroom, you've got some screws loose. I'm okay with calling that a mental disorder. Normal people can stop playing long enough to live some daylight, at least on occasion.

But if it's defined in terms far short of that, then of course, it's nonsense.

Back before broadband was mainstream, I'd go to weekend LAN parties... just sit around, eating pizza, playing games for three days in a dark room with upwards of 300 people.

Occasionally we'd stand up and catch t-shirts. I think everyone did use the restrooms provided.

Back then, games weren't made to be as... well, addictive... as they are today. There are elements of modern games (mostly mobile) that give you that drip-drip-drip of progress and satisfaction, incrementalism, that keep you hooked and possibly spending money.

... Quake, MOHAA, Counter-Strike... not so much.

... We probably didn't smell all that great back then when it wrapped up. Did see some neat computer cases, though... and I was quite the popular guy the year I brought a girl to one... a rare site in the mid 2000s.

Man those were some good times. Broadband really killed those. Being around a couple hundred people you've never met... some you might've played with online... putting faces to names... that was a pretty unique experience. These days I hate being around most people.

Top Bottom