Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Youngsters. All of ya.

My first was a Commodore Vic20. That rights. 20K of RAM, with a 16K expansion module, and a cassette tape "drive". Took an hour to load my favorite game, which meant flipping the cassette after 45 minutes.

And now for the funny pic:
    vic20screen.gif

I wasn't talking about my first computer. My first one was a TRS-80 Color Computer with 16k of Ram. Dad later upgraded it to 32k. No hard drive. Programs stored on cassette tape. Tractor feed dot matrix printer.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My computer geek friends called that one the "Trash 80".

Indeed- it was between the TRS-80 Coco, Texas Instruments and the Commodore. The advantage to the TRS-80 is that every Radio Shack had games and peripherals for it, though from a technical perspective it may have been the weakest of the 3....not that there was a huge different between them.

CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012

Some of us are not that old...We just got started really early. My got my first computer in 1984 (6th Grade). It was an Atari 800 with 48K of RAM and a 5.25in floppy. I still remember getting my first modem in 1986 (300 BAUD) and used it to connect into several BBS, before CompuServe came along.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Youngsters. All of ya.

My first was a Commodore Vic20. That rights. 20K of RAM, with a 16K expansion module, and a cassette tape "drive". Took an hour to load my favorite game, which meant flipping the cassette after 45 minutes.

And now for the funny pic:
    vic20screen.gif

I wasn't talking about my first computer. My first one was a TRS-80 Color Computer with 16k of Ram. Dad later upgraded it to 32k. No hard drive. Programs stored on cassette tape. Tractor feed dot matrix printer.

You youngsters with your high end electronics gear!

I had a TRS-80 Model III with 16K. The coco and Vic 20 were way ahead of that!

Using the cassette recorder was such a pain that when I wrote a program, I'd just print the code and retype it when I needed it again.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not mine, they had two of them in the science lab at school.

Ah!

In 1980, the TRS-80 Model III was about $1000 with 16 K and nothing else. If you added a couple of floppy disk drives and 64K of RAM, you were talking big money!

My physics teacher has a Model I with 48K of ram in the lab.

My high school computer math class had a few Apple IIs by the time I graduated. High tech!

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Some of us are not that old...We just got started really early. My got my first computer in 1984 (6th Grade). It was an Atari 800 with 48K of RAM and a 5.25in floppy. I still remember getting my first modem in 1986 (300 BAUD) and used it to connect into several BBS, before CompuServe came along.

Ummmm...so you got your first computer the year before I was born....

Let me reiterate: :oldwise::oldwise:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You youngsters with your high end electronics gear!

I had a TRS-80 Model III with 16K. The coco and Vic 20 were way ahead of that!

Using the cassette recorder was such a pain that when I wrote a program, I'd just print the code and retype it when I needed it again.

Those old TRS-80 Model IIIs were built to last.

In my first law clerk job, the partners at the firm was very proud of its computerized legal research system. It featured a TRS-80 Model III with twin 8 inch (yes, 8 inch, not 3.5, not 5.25) floopy drives. You clearly remember the good old days of booting up the computer from a system disk...and yes the 300 baud moden that you put the telephone handset on.

Mind you, that's what the firm had when I started there....IN 1997. They were so proud.

I didn't have the heart to tell them that my 486, 100 mhz machine that I got when I started law school in 1995 (and was not the fastest then) with its 14.4k modem ran rings around the old Model III. What I did not have, however, was a 32" long daisy wheel printer that did an great impression of an earthquake when it started printing. That's worth something.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember my first TV I had in my first place. We had used it for a monitor with my buddy's computer. I could swear that after that, whenever that TV was showing a blank screen, you could just make out the moving colored diamonds from the game we played. That lasted for years after on the TV.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Couldn't find the full GIF, so here's the video. I think it was a promo for one of the newer Planet of the Apes movies. A lot of people saw this afterward and thought it was real.

[video=youtube;74-WSM0xTyE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74-WSM0xTyE[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom