• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Agreed. I think once the firehose of gov't cash was turned on the problem and things showed signs of stabilizing, my rather low opinion of politicians leads me to believe they began to contemplate what else they might accomplish in their own interests with so much money

Edit: Could only agree with draconian punishment if it was comprehensive and included the investment ratings agencies who bowed to pressure and rated the securities investment grade and the loan originators who relaxed standards again and again because after they sold those mortgages packaged as securities they believed it was someone elses problem

We would need bigger jails, and would spend an eye-opening amount of time and treasure on such prosecutions though

True.

A dozen high-profile prosecutions might be enough to bring some sanity back to the industry (for a time...it worked with the S&L prosecutions for a decade or two). The Goldman Sachs "Moral Hazard" euphemism ought to be truly shown for what it was.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It took four years to bring Lay and Skilling to trial, and the fraud was egregious and undisputed. How much more time might it take to prosecute well-heeled individuals, who can afford the priciest legal talent, on much more esoteric grounds?

Not sure any prosecutor would be happy with that brief. The general public has the attention span of a three year old

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Bloomy not going to have his publication dig up dirt on dems, still plans to malign Trump...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/11/24/bloomberg-news-2020-democrats/

With Bloomberg's announcement, will those blasting Trump for having businesses and hotels, citing emoluments clauses, claiming every event held at a Trump facility profiting off government, etc., hold Bloomberg to the same standards?

For instance by those standards Bloomberg News, must be held to all campaign finance laws and regulations. An example, Anyone advertising there is making a campaign contribution. The candidate/potential office holder/campaign must be held indistinguishable from the business. I believe that is the standard several of you have held Trump to.

No one has any comments on this topic...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It took four years to bring Lay and Skilling to trial, and the fraud was egregious and undisputed. How much more time might it take to prosecute well-heeled individuals, who can afford the priciest legal talent, on much more esoteric grounds?

Not sure any prosecutor would be happy with that brief. The general public has the attention span of a three year old

War Crimes: Nuremberg. Financial Crimes.....Maybe. It certainly resulted in hardships, business failures, bankruptcies and possibly deaths. It clearly would have taken time and impacted the Obama administration in some ways. Certainly his legacy would have been shadowed by it. But, sometimes the hard thing to do is the right thing to do. It's one of the reasons Obama never lived up to the "transformational" hype.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought I felt a tremor in the force. Bug and Alpo getting along.

knock it off guys. The dark side is becoming unstable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Trust me.... it's just eggnog.
    I felt it earlier. It'll pass.
    God bless us, every one. - Tiny Tim

iu

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Around 1978 my older brother was 22 and I was 9 he gave me some Bud Man stickers I placed one on my lunch box.

The teacher didn’t like it ?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It seems Liz Warren has issues with telling the truth ?

Why not just say your kid went to a private school and public school?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...chool-blunder-adds-to-questions-about-honesty

BTW
    Tiny Tim is wearing a sweet Budweiser jacket!

Does anyone remember the “Bud Man” from the 70’s?

I'm not a beer guy, so I never paid much attention, but I do remember a dog, maybe named Spud? He was pretty cool. Got all the nice chicks, if I recall.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Bloomy not going to have his publication dig up dirt on dems, still plans to malign Trump...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/11/24/bloomberg-news-2020-democrats/

With Bloomberg's announcement, will those blasting Trump for having businesses and hotels, citing emoluments clauses, claiming every event held at a Trump facility profiting off government, etc., hold Bloomberg to the same standards?

For instance by those standards Bloomberg News, must be held to all campaign finance laws and regulations. An example, Anyone advertising there is making a campaign contribution. The candidate/potential office holder/campaign must be held indistinguishable from the business. I believe that is the standard several of you have held Trump to.

Good to see that journalists at Bloomberg properties are pushing back on this, but I'm not convinced they will win out. The presidential campaign will arguably be the largest news topic over the next 12 months and they aren't happy about being forced to propagate fake news. I'd think that many customers who care about Bloomberg political coverage as part of their ability to handle the financial markets will be considering other sources for information.

Bloomberg Journalists Demand Management Reverse Ban On Investigating Boss, Democratic Rivals

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's the little stuff that will put her under. The Pochahontas gambit was one strike. This is two.

I think she makes a good senator. A number of my fellow male democrats don't like the shrewish "I know what's good for you, eat your Brussells Sprouts" attitude she conveys.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I figure Bloomberg will hit back with everything he has after he gets the first volley from the far left. He seems like that kind of guy. Be interesting to see where they shoot first, who fires, and how soon, they might be a little scared.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Guys like Skilling should do 20+ years with a choice 6 days a week of filling pot holes chained to a dump truck, picking up trash on the highway in shackles, or working in a recycling center sorting garbage manacled to a conveyor.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Warren vs Bloomberg......I'll take Bloomie even though I don't know all that much about him, yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom