Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With a decent optic, I'm thinking that accuracy will remain close to the same for shorter ranges (up to 200 yards ?)..... but will drop off, as the bullet will lose its velocity quicker. That"s my guess, L.E..

I am not seeing this out to 200 MM as the short barrel is not applying the ballistics to the round.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    The rounds that I included in my first photo yesterday.... they're 150 grain soft-points traveling about 2,400 ft./sec out of my short barrel.
    That's D.R.T. territory ! :chuck:
    Did you hear that Chuck Norris got Coivd-19?

It lasted for about 30 minutes.
    Chuck buried it in his back yard. He made it dig it's own grave.
    It dug for 29 minutes.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    If you spend over $30 in shooting then at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing that your attacker will have permanent hearing loss for the rest of their days if nothing else. This is one reason why I'd like to buy a can in the near future.
    I'm already legally deaf (that's the truth, albeit a sad one) ..... for me, I can't really become any deafer ! .... so I'll save the money, and remain can-less. :)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I am not seeing this out to 200 MM as the short barrel is not applying the ballistics to the round.

I don't agree .... we'll have to ring some steel at 0830's.
    Although he's a better shooter than I, TT was consistently ringing steel with my 8.5" barrel .556 at 200 yards (this was at 0830's place this summer)

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I'm already legally deaf (that's the truth, albeit a sad one) ..... for me, I can't really become any deafer ! .... so I'll save the money, and remain can-less. :)
    I've got to hang on to the hearing that I have left, which according to my wife the hearing I currently have is not good at all.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I stocked up on all of my common calibers (including 308) at Bobcat shortly after the toilet paper scare, but before the riots and ammo hoarding. The time from when I placed my order to pickup he was sold out of pretty much all bulk stuff.

If I remember right, KJ has a bunch he is trying to get rid of.

Yeah, but it's milsurp stuff, I think. I never owned a .308 until now, so I had no reason to stock up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This business with the masks has made communication while working hard for me. Spray booths, machinery, something is always making a racket and it's harder to hear people in masks. One woman asked me if she needed to shout, I said "please do!"

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Hey, don't cut me short ..... I'm like Superman...junior ! :laugh:

You are giving up some with a 10.3" barrel about 400 fps. Someone else can run a dope chart but you'll get it dial in and be hitting the steel at the woods at Patience's place at 400 yards.

308-win-short-barrel-length-vs-velocity.png

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ok....a really fast back of napkin calculation, tells me that at 2600 fps with a 175 gr 308 you are looking at 37" of drop at 400 yards. Same at 2200 fps and you are about 55" of drop and still clocking at about 1500 fps.

Very doable, Superman!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom