The CZickness XLVI...What's next my friends.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks, the revolver is from the mid 1800s and the extra colors and lines reminded me of the pictures you have posted of mammoth ivory. Most of what I have on older guns of that era is pretty plain.

I think that elephant tusks (in particular) can get some of that splotchy / mottled pattern on them from digging/feeding/fighting.
    Yes, the "lines" are similar, but I feel that you have a chance of getting period-correct grips.
    NOW ... having said that, please don't spend a zillion dollars for that gun based on my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think that elephant tusks (in particular) can get some of that splotchy / mottled pattern on them from digging/feeding/fighting.
    Yes, the "lines" are similar, but I feel that you have a chance of getting period-correct grips.
    NOW ... having said that, please don't spend a zillion dollars for that gun based on my opinion.

Decisions are always mine, but I do sound out others for opinions. Thanks!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Hopefully, 0830 will find this post later today, as he was curious.
    This is the site of the lightning strike.

Using a a 50 mm (standard perspective) lens, the first photo was taken at almost the same spot where I stood when it hit. The tree is an 80'+ (estimated, as I can't see the top of it) ash, that would take two men to wrap their arms around.

(you can see the streak / split coming down the side)
    i-55TQd5W-X2.jpg

Looking up, I couldn't see the end of the split, but it went as far up as I could see .... probably clear to the top of the tree.
    Here is what the base of the trunk looked like. The split is about 3-4" wide and deep !
    I don't know whether the tree will survive. It depends on how many of the internal capillaries were cut .... the split spiraled as it came down the tree.

i-7VHcLJW-XL.jpg

At least in this case, it was odd to me .... as I'd always thought that the bolt struck, and then withdrew immediately. This was not the case. At about head-level, the bolt split into 3 separate spears (like a trident), and then danced around in a mad dance, before withdrawing. I was both fascinated, and terrified ... and frozen (not by choice), as it felt like I was totally under it's power.

Holy Cow! You were too close for comfort. My experience is mostly with tall pine trees and lightning. A direct hit like that - they never survive it. I predict that ones days are numbered. It's a shame, that was a nice tree. Maybe can salvage some nice-grained wood working slabs out of it.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Holy Cow! You were too close for comfort. My experience is mostly with tall pine trees and lightning. A direct hit like that - they never survive it. I predict that ones days are numbered. It's a shame, that was a nice tree. Maybe can salvage some nice-grained wood working slabs out of it.

I hope that if it comes down, it doesn't fall on my cabin !

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    This came the day that I left for the cabin, and I only had the time to take a quick peek at it.
    Today, it took its' place in the curio cabinet .... and a curious thing, it is !

This bone, from the top of the spine-sail of a Dimetrodon, will almost certainly be the oldest fossil that I ever own .... it's from the Permian Period, 280 million years ago. (long before the evolution of the dinosaurs) The creature is actually considered to be in the mammal family, but very little else is known about it.

I briefly took it out of the Riker box, and held it in my white linen gloved hand.

i-qdmzkLm-L.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Nevertheless, Dimetrodon is not a dinosaur; it became extinct about 60 million years before the first dinosaurs evolved (almost the same amount of time that separates humans from Tyrannosaurus rex), and it is more closely related to living mammals, including humans, than it is to any extinct or living reptile.

Credit above: Evolution: Education and Outreach

1658891898059.png

Artist reconstruction. Credit: By Nobu Tamura email:nobu.tamura@yahoo.com http://spinops.blogspot.com/ http://paleoexhibit.blogspot.com/ - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49352768

They weighed upwards of 550 lbs, at 15' in length. (but some sub-species were considerably smaller )

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nevertheless, Dimetrodon is not a dinosaur; it became extinct about 60 million years before the first dinosaurs evolved (almost the same amount of time that separates humans from Tyrannosaurus rex), and it is more closely related to living mammals, including humans, than it is to any extinct or living reptile.

Credit above: Evolution: Education and Outreach

View attachment 214081

Artist reconstruction. Credit: By Nobu Tamura email:nobu.tamura@yahoo.com http://spinops.blogspot.com/ http://paleoexhibit.blogspot.com/ - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49352768

They weighed upwards of 550 lbs, at 15' in length. (but some sub-species were considerably smaller )
    I can not even imagine what the world was like then.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning folks

Had a work trip yesterday to TopGolf over in Illinois. Good times were had by all. I won best outfit, think Slash from G&R with a tutu.

Prior to that, I finished up 3 days of car repairs. The car runs and drives "like new", thanks to the new exhaust (found both cats were broken internally) and the new engine/trans mounts. Unfortunately, I still have an oil leak (a few drips) that is now isolated to the rear main seal, which requires engine or trans removal to replace. I'll drive the car and monitor things for a bit before I decide if I want to pursue the repair or not.

On the plus side, the car work surprisingly boosted my elbow recovery and my therapist was astounded at my sudden rapid improvement. I'm still dealing with some issues on the medial side of the elbow, but hoping to be much better in a few more weeks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom